Beardy goin krazy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

merdelhuck

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi

ive had a Western bearded dragon for the last 12 months or so and almost every morning i awake to him standing on his tail scratching on the glass. He runs around going krazy!

somtimes he jumps of his basking log into the glass as if he is trying to climb it....its very annoying as he wakes me up and makes a huge mess of his enclosure.

Any ideas of why he does it?

temps are fine 37-40 and other end around 25

Thanks

beardy

ohh, i forgot to ad,

hes quite tame but when i walk in the room somthimes this is when he jumps off his stick
duno why he does it in the morning though ?

it just sounds like he is constantly trying to escape. my mice used to do the same thing. keen for freedom!!

Thanks for replies, i offer him food by hand daily so i dont think its hunger...

it may be due to the size of the enclosure?
my tank is approx 75cm long
35cm wide
40cm high

hes a western beardy so hes small

when he does it i handle him for about 10 mins, he calms down and then i pop him back in enclosure.....
if im lucky he will stop for the day but...somtimes 10 mins later hes doin it again

Haha my beardy does that too, his temps are right, he eats enough and everything. Every time he does it I think he sees something out of the enclosure that he wants to get at. He's done it all his life, he's 3 years old. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.

Is he a good handler?

I had a beardy who would do this in a 4 by 2 foot tank, in my bedroom. He would do it every morning until I woke up and got him out of the tank for a cuddle then he would snuggle under my blanket on my chest (unrestrained) and we would have a little chat about the weather and what we were going to do that day. I think your little guy wants to get out and go for a run.

Haha my beardy does that too, his temps are right, he eats enough and everything. Every time he does it I think he sees something out of the enclosure that he wants to get at. He's done it all his life, he's 3 years old. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.

Is he a good handler?

good handler....ummm I think he is, cuz western beardies are so small, its hard to know wheather he likes sitting on my shoulder or he just freezes because he is scared.

hes fed a selection of mealworms, crickets and his favourite silkworms

i dont think hes scared. someone correct me if im wrong, but arent dragons cliff divers like bluetongues? theyre not scared of heights or taking big leaps.

haha yeh definetly not scared of jumping of anything high....he jumped off the top of my shoulder once and landed on his stomach on the floor....scared the **** out of me but he was all good

Yeah i have one of my girls who goes nuts like that all the time. Mostly it's cos she sees something outside the enclosure she wants, and usually its crickets!

HAHAHA! He loves you! Love him back, play with him as much as you can, let him cruise around the house if you can... (CAREFULLY!).
He sounds like a little champ.
Nic

I thought scratching at the sides was a sign of stress meaning something in the enclosure is not right.

I thought scratching at the sides was a sign of stress meaning something in the enclosure is not right.

I don't think so. If there is something seriously wrong in their enclosure they wont eat and will go quiet. I say an energetic beardy is a healthy one. I have 2 girls, and they couldn't be so different. Both in the same enclosure, but one is really laid back, and the other is a nutter and will jump out of the glass doors as soon as they open if she sees something yummy outside. Usually the dandelions don't make it into the enclosure, she's out and eaten them already!!

The Culprit

This is the culprit

taken on my laptop webcame quickly so not the best pic
hes full size

Attachments

• beardie.jpg
    beardie.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 147
Cute, my Netteds do that, i have one girl that is really messed up...i dont know why she is soo scared, i only just got here, when she knows im comming she goes into her hide, otherwise if shes not scared she ***** around like a fish up and down the glass, is it because of their reflection, because she difantly does not want to be handled lol. my male does it too but not very often. i just upgraded their enclosure to a taller/wider one. and i introduced a new friend to them 8], a Pygmy bearded Sub-adult. They are the same sizes and both the males(Netted and Pygmy) get along fine, they crawl over each other and no ones territorial its great!

Edit: "*****" whats so bad about the word f.l.i.p.s ?

When u keep a bush loving lizard in a fish tank they will try to escape
The ones that dont have just given up on life

I don't agree! How can you say that an animal that doesn't try to climb glass windows or jump up and down has given up on life? It's not like they've been in the wild to know what they are missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back