p.c sound system?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markars

Reaction score
Hey people, I need some info on some higher end pc speakers.

I want either some bookshelf speakers or 2.1 system.

I currently have the altech lansings but find that they are great for games and movies but seriously crap for music, I have tried the logitechs as well and same result.

anyone have any top range speakers to recomend?

Cheers
mark

I have Bose Companions - the best sound for a PC - but I also run a separate (but old) Akai amplifier running four bigger chunky speakers - overall, I prefer the sound of my computer to my actual sound system!

Just been googling the bose companions, Do you use the book shelf 3's or the pc 2's?

Last edited:
had a look at them, they get mixed reviews on net- but they all have an agenda. I know u like your dance music, how does handle it, is it all base and nothing else or a good sound?

I'll tell you the truth - my Bose does well - but the subbie isn't as good as my Yamaha one and yet it cost more.

This is where my mixing goes down.... and I love the sound!

hey man i have logitech Z4's which are by no means at the very top end n i havn't had a problem with em, they work great for me with both games and music

speakers are only part of the equation, soundcard and decent software are the other components required to make your world rock
if you are only running onboard sound even $1000 speakers will sound like rubbish, i run altec lansing 2.1 they're nearly 9 years old and with creative sound card and it seriously rattles windows with next to no distortion, and my stereo is hardly used these days,

speakers are only part of the equation, soundcard and decent software are the other components required to make your world rock
if you are only running onboard sound even $1000 speakers will sound like rubbish, i run altec lansing 2.1 they're nearly 9 years old and with creative sound card and it seriously rattles windows with next to no distortion, and my stereo is hardly used these days,

I beg to differ - but I'll also partly agree...

I'm running two sound cards and the onboard - with the right tweaking I can't tell the diff between the one that is on the mother board and my creative soundblaster - to me - they're nearly the same.

righto- you have ventured into a land that i know nothing about.! I have a laptop, how do i know what or where my sound card is? I use itunes as a program.

Thanks to every one for all the replies and advice,
I want to get the best out of my computer sound cause i have just ripped all of my cd's and packed the originals in storage, so this system is now my only music source.

I beg to differ - but I'll also partly agree...

I'm running two sound cards and the onboard - with the right tweaking I can't tell the diff between the one that is on the mother board and my creative soundblaster - to me - they're nearly the same.

:lol: 2 soundcards and onboard ? not your standard "PC in a cardboard box" motherboard then,

as for using a laptop and expecting half decemt sound, its a bit like trying to make a $2 radio sound better with $100 earphones,

It is possible to get add-on 'soundcards' for around $100 - $150 but haven't heard any that sound any good, they even do $27 but your better off leaving them alone, all they will do is make your wallet lighter.....

starting to think i should unpack the cd's again and bust out the amp and floor speakers.

Thanks heaps for the advice you have all given me.

I guess i can grab the bose and get a reasonable increase in sound quality, but expect nothing like i was used to with the hi fi floor speakers and amp unless i get a desktop and soundcards.

Once again thanks heaps

Connect your amp and home theatre speakers up to your pc for the best combination. I run my amp and 5.1 through an optical cable straight into the motherboard. You wont have to bother about a 3rd party sound card if your running an amp since it will do all the hard yards for you and provide music that will make you cream in your pants :D

Connect your amp and home theatre speakers up to your pc for the best combination. I run my amp and 5.1 through an optical cable straight into the motherboard. You wont have to bother about a 3rd party sound card if your running an amp since it will do all the hard yards for you and provide music that will make you cream in your pants :D

:lol: you beat me to the home stereo suggestion, but i doubt there would be optical input on the laptop, if it has, go for it, if not, use a stereo RCA to 3.5mm jack lead (anywhere that sells audio leads should have them), plug the RCA into the home stereo input, and the 3.5mm end into the headphone jack, Like method has said, let the amp do the grunt work..

let us know how it all works out

Yeah - optical out on a laptop.... hell... why don't laptops have HDMI outputs? They should considering so many now have Blu Ray players and full HD screens, it makes sense.

My system set up:

In the Soundblaster - Bose Companions on the second channel, Akai amp + four speaker outputs on the first channel and can be turned on independently or with the Bose.

But because the Bose speakers are tiny, they go so well with the laptop too - and because they have all the amplification required in them - (ie laptop turned to full, but you control it with the Bose controllers which are really really really cool to use) - I've done outdoors music nights from the laptop and Bose speakers and most people believed it was a large stereo system playing, not these tiny speakers and a small subbie pumping out all those tunes.

I agree the laptop isn't perfect, but I think you should see if you can try some speakers out with your laptop and you'll notice the difference and it'll be worth it one way or another :)

Good luck!

Any one wanna post up there pics of the system ???

Would be cool.

Yeah - optical out on a laptop.... hell... why don't laptops have HDMI outputs? They should considering so many now have Blu Ray players and full HD screens, it makes sense.:) ........../QUOTE]

:lol: given you desktop description so far, it doesn't surprise me that you have optical on your laptop, I was making a general statement, most people dont look for, or care about, optical or HDMI. ...........Most people don't realise the "Netbooks" dont have CD/DVD drives until they get it home and try and install their software

FYI, Alienware do a nice laptop with HDMI, (got a spare $2700)

as for showing pics of the setups, sorry not happening from me, its bad enough reptiles get knocked off without the losers adding our precious technology to their shopping lists......

heres hoping that you give your eardrums a workout Markars, how ever you wind up playing your tunes:)

yea mate as said so far, hook your pc up to your home stereo, i used to off my lap top just off the headphone jack to rca input on my amp ( before my house break in and i lost my laptop0, i now have a custom pc my mate built for me purely for this, is in an antec case which has a remote so if im only using it for music or movies i can use the remote not the keyboard, its like a big jukebox, cost a bit, as it has alot of goodies in it but money well spent imo.
as for sound its hooked up to a yamaha amp with wharfdale speakers. does the job nicely

i just use some average logitech 5.1 system and it;s suits me just fine sound is good clean not hell loud but it's good enough to watch a video clip listen to music
each to thier own with visual and audio gear, if ya an ordinary joe like me as long as in the price range and puts out good sound be happy with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back