Reptile Illness Site.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for herpaphiles to help me with my new website.

The website is a reptile Diagnosis site, so to speak. People can search in the search box for symptoms that their reptile is displaying and it returns a list of reptile illnesses that have those symptoms, as well as how it can be treated or prevented. People can also add illnesses, my goal for the website is for it to have "User-Generated Content" where you make the site. You add the illnesses to help other herpers.

The site isn't completely finished (I just need a domain name) but if you wanna help just shoot me a PM and I'll give you the URL, if you know anything about any reptile diseases, problems (such as problem feeders) or illnesses, anything, mites, parasites etc. just let me know and I can give you the URL to submit information to the website.

People can also add illnesses, my goal for the website is for it to have "User-Generated Content" where you make the site. You add the illnesses to help other herpers.

Don't mean to burst your bubble but that will be your down fall right there.. The amount of absolute rubbish alot of people drool out of their mouths assuming they know how to diagnose and treat symptoms that could possibly mean anything, on forums such as this alone is enough to make you want to punch yourself in the face.

Let alone an anonymous website, unless there's an actual reptile vet or someone who has been in the industry a long long time and who knows what they are talking about, backing up and reviewing all submitted info something like that wont work.

But other then that handy info on treating simple things that don't require a vet eg. mites, bad sheds, getting snakes feeding, scale rot etc could be good for people who haven't experienced these things and are wanting a learn. But alas nothing you can't learn from a quick search on any reptile forum

Don't mean to burst your bubble but that will be your down fall right there.. The amount of absolute rubbish alot of people drool out of their mouths assuming they know how to diagnose and treat symptoms that could possibly mean anything, on forums such as this alone is enough to make you want to punch yourself in the face.

Let alone an anonymous website, unless there's an actual reptile vet or someone who has been in the industry a long long time and who knows what they are talking about, backing up and reviewing all submitted info something like that wont work.

But other then that handy info on treating simple things that don't require a vet eg. mites, bad sheds, getting snakes feeding, scale rot etc could be good for people who haven't experienced these things and are wanting a learn. But alas nothing you can't learn from a quick search on any reptile forum

Haha yeah, but it's moderated, I will read through every addition and double check if it's correct advice before I approve it. Everyone that submits info will have to put a name and email address along with it, although that information isn't publicly displayed, if they post incorrect information I will ban that email address from submitting to the site.

I am also making plans to implement a search box, where people type their location and it will display a list of vets close to them.

What I want from it is to be like information you get from forums. But simpler, without registration and without all the harshness. When people ask for advice that others believe they should already know, those people asking it always get treated like they're idiots. I want a site where people can get advice on their pets without the repercussions of mean herpers, without registering and in only a few seconds.

They're the three main problems I have with asking for help on forums; 1. People are tossers. 2. I have to have an account, and 3. It could take days for anybody to respond.

I don't want people relying on the information on my website, I will have a page telling them not to completely trust it, but if it can help a few people that's all I want. Even if the help is simply just to make them get to a vet.

When you double check and approve the advice how do you know if its actually correct..?

Not saying you dont but if it is something you yourself have no exerience or knowledge of the subject..?

When you double check and approve the advice how do you know if its actually correct..?

Not saying you dont but if it is something you yourself have no exerience or knowledge of the subject..?

First I'll use common sense, most of the time when people put incorrect advice on purpose they say things that are so farfetched, then, if I don't already know, I'll search on a few forums and caresheets to double check it.

I am sure you mean well Jake but this sort of site does nothing more than delay appropriate treatment. . I put in a dozen common clinical signs (I am a reptile vet by trade) and never got a correct answer or an answer that would save a life. In all cases, the most correct answer was absent from the list. Asking unqualified laypersons to add illnesses just worsens the outcome. You have no qualifications to be deciding what's right and wrong. Looking at some of the info already presented tells me that immediately. Sorry, but I can't see it benefitiing the reptile community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back