Galah question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldnt keep them together, i have quite a few different parrots and none will tolerate the other. i keep cockateils with cockateils happily, and i keep alex and ringnecks together happily, and a cocky on his own, but if the cockateil flys onto the cockatoos cage, all hell breaks loose, the cockatoo goes of his nut sqwaking that loudly. i am lucky he is a sook and jumps of his cage to get away from the cockateil, unfortunely not all birds are the same. if u have the room to keep them seperate then by all means buy both but keep in seperate cages, but if u dont have the room only get the galah, and i am a firm believer that all parrots and birds, should spend majority of there life out of the cage. my cockatoo has never been locked up, he is a treasure and rarely leaves his cage. all the best
cheers
mel

I have a 16 year old galah, if she ever sees another bird all she wants to do is attack it but each galah is different. Goodluck

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice, I didnt even realise this thread was still going,

We only ended up getting the Galah, a gorgeous female we named Ruby.

I have another question though and to save starting another thread, ill just use this one

Whats the most effective way to stop them biting. We're starting to have a bit of a issue with her tearing up paper also. Could she be bored? She has plenty of toys but just doesnt play with them. Its almost like shes teething!

My Opinon Only but - yep, she's bored. When you see Galahs in the wild they are in flocks that number in the hundreds, thousands even. They are an intelligent social bird that need constant stimulation and attention. The biting is an individual thing that will be best cured by interaction with the bird by more than one person. Otherwise you will end up with one of those cockies that is great with one person but bites everyone else. BTW - how old is Ruby and what colour is her eye?

I'm almost interaction with her during the day, as I'm the only one home, I take her around the house with me, constantly talk to her and constantly play with her, well try to. What can I do to interact with her more, as I said before she has toys, but rarely even touches them.

Ruby is about 3 months old we were told and her iris is light brown...the breeder told us she was female, but we're not so sure. The breeder also told us not to feed her fruit and veg...

Haha, she is cheeky like my Galah. She has millions of toys but never wants to play with them...Always wants to chew the TV controllers and magazines instead. Try to challenge her. Teach her 'step up' or how to dance. Praise her everytime she does something you like and she will remember it.

Even blood tests can be wrong. My Galah got blood tested twice as a female. But as he/she grew up, the iris was dark brown and I later found out it was male. If your bird was female you would know by now. Her iris would be blood red.

The breeder is wrong...I fed my boy fruit and veggies everyday and he loved them!!! It is recommended that you feed them fruit and veg as it is what they would eat in the wild. They also get needed nutrients out of these foods.

Hi there,

You could keep both birds but will have to keep them in seperate cages and supervise them at all times if they will be let out of the cages together in the same room.:)

I have a galah in with a flock of cockerteils they all get on fine he ihas even bonded with one of the male cockerteils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back