A visit from Moloch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gus11

Reaction score
This past few days Moloch was able to drop in and we had some planned adventures to find some of the more hard to see geckoes of North Queensland. as well as anything else we could find.
It couldnt have started any better than a trip up to find Phyllurus gulbaru.
any find them we did, we found 10 individuals in total, some gravid.
DSC_8568.jpg

we also managed some other herps, saproscincus basiliskus, eulamprus brachyosoma
DSC_8557_02.jpg

small eyed snakes
DSC_8656.jpg

pink tongue skinks one of which was unbanded
DSC_8678.jpg

and litoria xanthomera, which you may notice something strange about.
DSC_8644.jpg
From here it was a move south to the mackay region where 4 endemic leaf tails are known to occur. P. nepthys, P. ossa, P. isis and P. championae.
we looked for 3 of these and came across 2 P. nepthys and P. ossa.
P. ossa was a new one for me and was harder to find than the other species. we only managed to find 3 individuals
DSC_8743.jpg

during the night we also spotted odeura monolis
DSC_8838.jpg

and eulamprus amplus
DSC_8783.jpg

and this funky beetle, longhorn boorer, a ceranbycid
DSC_8788.jpg

on the way home we managed this interesting pink tongue skink, anyone notice why it is interesting???
DSC_8828.jpg

from here it was off to find a rare frog and look for other endemic skinks, the skinks evaded us but we were able to find the eungella day frog...taudactylus eungellensis i think its called
DSC_8942.jpg

not all skinks evaded us and carlia rhomboidalis were common
DSC_8983.jpg

DSC_9009.jpg

other interesting things seen were this golden orb spider eating a cicada
DSC_9152.jpg

and a grey goshawk that managed to grab a bird, sorry bout the quality
DSC_8864.jpg

from here it was our first unsucessful night only finding a gehyra and no leaf tails. but our next morning found plenty more skinks many carlia rhomboidalis and even more egernia freri
DSC_9108.jpg

and what may be eulamprus martini
DSC_9063.jpg

in the surrounding caves we found what i think to be a eastern free tailed bat, though i'm waiting for an actual id from the bat lab at uni.
DSC_9124.jpg

during the walk we noticed the hundreds of red tailed black cockatoos that were being harassed by a grey goshawk
DSC_9056.jpg
tonight were off to look for P. amnicola will undoubtedly find other things such as lampropholis mirabilis and hopefully more.
Moloch may provide a post on his trip, but thats up to him, and if he does it will be something everyone should look foward to.
Gus

Love the geckos..

The pink-tongue has a blue-tongue indicating that it is a young animal?

nice, we have also found an adult Pink tongue with a blue tongue in Gladstone. a rare find but they do pop up.
cheers
simon

Attachments

• blueg4.jpg
    blueg4.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 102
Cool pics , ,
Love the weird looking L. xanthomera, and the unbanded pinktongue.
The spider eating the cicada would have been very cool to watch to.
Looking forward to David and his camera coming to visit the Mornington Peninsula..
Soon I hope.
Cheers

love that frogs eyes.
and the patterning on the second pink tongue, is that the normal banding? i really like it.

on our way back from mackay we swung out to the drier areas near charters towers, by this time i was extremely tired so im sure i missed things but moloch was still awake and observant.
he managed to see box pattern geckoes
DSC_9210.jpg

strophurus williamsi
DSC_9171.jpg

a bandy bandy
DSC_9212.jpg

and a carpet python.
DSC_9179.jpg

the next day we rested before our hike up mt elliot.
we were somewhat limited in daylight hours so didnt get to much time to photograph skinks and dragons on the way up but we managed to at least see
copper tails
DSC_9252.jpg

carlia pectoralis
DSC_9261.jpg

diprophora australis
DSC_9235.jpg

DSC_9260.jpg

as well as fire tails which we didnt manage photos of.
once up the mountain we were able to find our target species
phyllurus amnicola
DSC_9308.jpg

unfortunately the weather took a turn for the worst and i wasnt able to see cophixulus mcdonaldii which i would really have liked to, at least i heard them this time though. with the long and dangerous walk back down the mountain we were quick to leave before the rain got to heavy.

Great photos, is the walk to the summit of Mt Elliot difficult? I'd like to photograph C. mcdonaldi one day when I head up there again.

depends on how fit you are, its a 16-17km walk to the falls return. thats without climbing the falls it or getting to where the frogs occur. so it is a big mission that requires planning.

Hi Gus,

I'm very jealous of all your leaf tail finds!

I'm pretty sure your bat is a Taphozous of some sort. If you were near the coast, it's probably the coastal one. If you were away from the coast, it's probably the non-coastal one (from memory these are the only two that are likely to be seen around Mackay).

Stewart

my thoughts were coastal free tailed bat, though eastern free tailed bats occur in the same area and look the sameish, i've sent it to the bat lab for ID.

That frog is amazing! The geckos are awesome i want them all! lol. Does anyone know why a pink tounge would have a blue one? Thats really weird right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back