Red Belly Rescue (netting)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome Job Joshie i bet that snakey is feeling sore and sorry for himself this morning poor bugga .....

Thanks so much and well done! My neighbour killed a red bellied late last year with a shovel and came over to boast about it to me... :evil: We need more people like you and the lady who called, rather than people who just out and kill the snake.

Yeah, great work Josh. A beautiful life saved. The shovel is all too often the tool of choice for amateur snake removal.
Nic

i have a few pics with snakes caught up in that stuff. thats when i rip the lot out and through it in there bin......and tell them to tell there friends not to use it.diamond python bird netting.jpg

another one green tree snakegeen tree snake netting.jpg its pretty common for snakes and other wild life to get caught up in this horrible stuff.

all OK then released[/ATTACH]

the python was very dehydrated so some water and a rest and all was good ,as you can see it had not long eaten.

Attachments

• diamond python bird netting 01.jpg
    diamond python bird netting 01.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC0043.jpg
    DSC0043.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thanks elapid@, I have a collection of birdnet snake pics aswell.
Some are to gruesome to put up here, or so ive been told.
If anyone has any other pics of native animals caught in birdnet, post them or pm them to me if you can.
Over on the horse forum, they have a thread dedicated to using birdnet as a snake trap.
Needless to say, i quickly became unpopular over there.
Ignorant rednecks cant handle the truth.

poor thing, thats netting must be terrible!!

do they try to bite as ur cutting them free?

im kinda impressed that the snake would have been so easy to shovel in the position it was in and they still called u!!!

great job on rescuing it! :)

poor thing, thats netting must be terrible!!

do they try to bite as ur cutting them free?

im kinda impressed that the snake would have been so easy to shovel in the position it was in and they still called u!!!

great job on rescuing it! :)

Yeah the netting is horrible stuff.

Yeah it did try to bite a few times but it is to be expected. Usually by the time you get to them they are extremely stressed and feeling very vulnerable so they will try and gave a go. Bird netting rescues can be some of the trickiest and most nerve racking.

On one hand, yes, they are already caught and easy to get a hold of but on the other hand you know have the delicate task of restraining them and have to work in very close quarters to the bitey end. This one even had a piece of netting around its snout (which i cut off first) so there was alot of delicate work with little scissors up around the head.

Thanks elapid@, I have a collection of birdnet snake pics aswell.
Some are to gruesome to put up here, or so ive been told.
If anyone has any other pics of native animals caught in birdnet, post them or pm them to me if you can.
Over on the horse forum, they have a thread dedicated to using birdnet as a snake trap.
Needless to say, i quickly became unpopular over there.
Ignorant rednecks cant handle the truth.

Oh yes I remember that day well- we all charged over there, opened accounts and started turnign the tables over until they clammed up.

Nice work mate- Red Bellies are IMHO the best looking native creature we have. Period. He looks pretty healthy too- good to see you didnt get tagged for your trouble. How was he once you cut him loose ?

Oh yes I remember that day well- we all charged over there, opened accounts and started turnign the tables over until they clammed up.

Nice work mate- Red Bellies are IMHO the best looking native creature we have. Period. He looks pretty healthy too- good to see you didnt get tagged for your trouble. How was he once you cut him loose ?
Yeah he was ok. Alittle bit grumpy but otherwise a beautiful RBB. They are one of my all-time favourite snakes as well Weezer, so getting the chance to rescue one is always a delight.

This birdnet stuff should be banned :( it is in the same catergory as glue traps

Only thing worse than birdnetting is small chickenwire.... I had to release a yellow faced whip snake that was stuck and it was soooooo pissed off I had to pin it's head while I used small wire cutting pliers to snip it out (one handed)

Cheers
Sandee :)

Good on ya mate - hope all went well at the Vet and that your friend has substituted her netting for something safer...

I want to own a red belly one day. But I told my family that they aren't allowed to let me until I've gone minimum5 years without being bitten by my pythons, or leaving doors open and letting them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This birdnet stuff should be banned :( it is in the same catergory as glue traps

Only thing worse than birdnetting is small chickenwire.... I had to release a yellow faced whip snake that was stuck and it was soooooo pissed off I had to pin it's head while I used small wire cutting pliers to snip it out (one handed)

Cheers
Sandee :)
Snakes aren't real bright. how many snakes do catchers get with their heads stuck in drink cans?

The Victorian Advocates for Animals made a bit of progress with ridding some bird net.

Their choice of ambassodor was the fruitbat.This resulted in the banning of some types of netting.

Unfortunatly, all birdnetting, even the knitted variety, when used improperly, as it usually is,
kills reptiles and some mammals and birds.

The very fine, monofoliament is harder to get thanks to Lawence Pope et al at VAA.
and the fruit bats.

hello I just found this site and would like to add my bit about the netting problem.I dont keep reptiles but find them interesting and like to watch them in the wild.
I often walk my dogs alomg bunbury curran creek at macquarie fields and encounter browns, red bellies and occasionally death adders and diamonds closer to the river.on several occasions I have found snakes and skinks caught in mesh used to lay turf by councils which has been washed into the creek some have been saved, others dead or killed while trapped.Has anyone else come across this before?

hello I just found this site and would like to add my bit about the netting problem.I dont keep reptiles but find them interesting and like to watch them in the wild.
I often walk my dogs alomg bunbury curran creek at macquarie fields and encounter browns, red bellies and occasionally death adders and diamonds closer to the river.on several occasions I have found snakes and skinks caught in mesh used to lay turf by councils which has been washed into the creek some have been saved, others dead or killed while trapped.Has anyone else come across this before?
where there is netting and wild life soon or later they both will come into contact, there should be rules where netting (any sort) is aloud to be used and how and why its used just like you cant through rubbish out the window etc. i have come across this several times.
cheers steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back