bhp housing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest i have in one permenatly is a 5ft 2yo well a pair actually (not same enclosure lol) and they very happy in them

snakecharma said:
Not rediculous at all for a temperary fix of a week i know people with the same size BHP's in tubs smaller, dont flame me, or get on ya high horse!!

Make up your mind!! You know of people with BHP's BIGGER then 5ft in an enclosure SMALLER than 2ft??

Make up your mind!! You know of people with BHP's BIGGER then 5ft in an enclosure SMALLER than 2ft??

i thought you were commenting on the larger BHP that has a small temp home, dont have my glasses today. Personally i let mine get to about 2yo in a smaller enclosure and then introduce them to a larger one, had a bad experiance with putting a small one in a big enclosure, and guess what over the last god knows how many years, it works for me, if you dont like it good on ya lol, i'll keep doing what i do the i do it thanks, there is no need for such rudeness these days. For your info they are at the stage where i usually move them up and will do so when i can, not that its any business of yours. And yes in fact i do know people that have the same size pythons in smaller enclosures, i dont do it myself but see it heaps.

Didnt know the days were passed when you could hand over bits on info without getting crap thrown at ya lol

sorry josh wont comment next time

Why don't you explain why it is NOT required. With a bit of background proof. UV is something they naturally have to live with and have the option of exposing themselves to everyday, it is also used to produced Vitamin D. It's not uncommon to find BHP out during daylight hours.

Why would you NOT provide it to them?

As I said it seems a waste to provide what seems unecessary.
My understanding is that if temperature is sufficient and food items contain sufficient vitamin D, such as when feeding whole food items, then UV is not required. I have no proof but believe through observation it is not necessary. I sucessfully keep and breed BHPs in a snake room with no sunlight ( only artifical light) and have done for some years. I know of many other breeders, some who have been breeding BHPs for 35 years, and who do not give there BHPs access to either natural or artifical UV, using only heatmats for heat, and there seems to be no detrimental effects.
I have read suggestions that UV can enhance colour in pythons but have seen no evidence.
Many things occur naturally where BHP's live, and they may have the option of exposing themselves to those things, but it does not necessarily follow that those things are necessary for healthy life.eg dingos. I believe that BHPs go out in daylight hour in search of food or heat not UV.

As I said it seems a waste to provide what seems unecessary.
My understanding is that if temperature is sufficient and food items contain sufficient vitamin D, such as when feeding whole food items, then UV is not required. I have no proof but believe through observation it is not necessary. I sucessfully keep and breed BHPs in a snake room with no sunlight ( only artifical light) and have done for some years. I know of many other breeders, some who have been breeding BHPs for 35 years, and who do not give there BHPs access to either natural or artifical UV, using only heatmats for heat, and there seems to be no detrimental effects.
I have read suggestions that UV can enhance colour in pythons but have seen no evidence.
Many things occur naturally where BHP's live, and they may have the option of exposing themselves to those things, but it does not necessarily follow that those things are necessary for healthy life.eg dingos. I believe that BHPs go out in daylight hour in search of food or heat not UV.
Ok, sounds fair that you have observed all of this....also i re-read my post and it seems alittle pushy/forward so first of all, sorry for that.

I understand that pythons can function, breed and grow perfectly fine without the need for UV light, however, i can't understand how people can question someones choice of using it simply by stating "it is not needed". It may not be needed but it may be of a benefit not yet understood by keepers, particularily given it is a naturally occuring abiotic factor. Given that the most important things to control within a snakes environment, to ensure good health are the abiotic factors (temp and humidity) it seems likely that it may provided some benefit.

Also.....i think comparing Dingoes (a biotic factor) with UV light (an Abiotic factor) is a little silly.

ppl with bhp's at what age/size did you introduce them to there full size enclosure(and what size was the enclosure you moved it to?)my girl is almost a yearling,and around 4 foot(just an assumtion?)and has got too large for her 52 tubl(around 2 ft)...would you think she would be okay in a 4 ft enclosure or start her out in a 3ft'r til she gets a bit larger?

I keep my BHPs in tubs which progress with size until about 2 yo or 1.5 meters lang when they move from my largest tub about 1000 x 500mm to my cages. Cages are 1.8m long x .6m deep with the hot end being about a third.Being terestrial animals height is not necessary so i try to keep my cage height lower to mimic a crevice providing privacy to the animal at the rear of the cage..

Ok, sounds fair that you have observed all of this....also i re-read my post and it seems alittle pushy/forward so first of all, sorry for that.

I understand that pythons can function, breed and grow perfectly fine without the need for UV light, however, i can't understand how people can question someones choice of using it simply by stating "it is not needed". It may not be needed but it may be of a benefit not yet understood by keepers, particularily given it is a naturally occuring abiotic factor. Given that the most important things to control within a snakes environment, to ensure good health are the abiotic factors (temp and humidity) it seems likely that it may provided some benefit.

Also.....i think comparing Dingoes (a biotic factor) with UV light (an Abiotic factor) is a little silly.

Many of the members on this sight have minimal knowledge of python husbandry and take what is written as gospel. I think it is up to those who know to question possible incorrect statements in in a non pushy/forward way. In post #12 i asked what the benefit of day UV was hpoing that people would question the need for UV . I need a better reason than "why not" to waste the worlds resources.

As you previuosly stated Warwick,some people believe UV increases colour on snakes,in all the searches ive done to try and get a understanding if this is true,ive came up with nothing set in concrete,a few speculations that UV has improved colour in some snakes.As i use heat cords in all my enclosures-tubs etc i cant see any difference in colour.Im not saying snakes need Uv nor they dont..MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back