Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BARRAMUNDI

Reaction score
Hi all
I have been a visitor on this site for a long time and untill now I have found it easy without being a member to gain info regarding certain topics, I understand that reduced pattern carpets have featured in Australian magazines and that a recent thread regarding these animals was deleted. There is also alot of talk about hatchlings being available soon, however no-one seems to be able to come through with the goods.

Surely they are out there and available.

I am not trying to start another mud slinging match, far from it. I simply am keen to locate an alternative source of these animals and establish what they will be worth in the upcoming months or years. I am more interested in what other keepers think they are worth and if anyone has any available. When I say reduced pattern I mean reduced pattern carpets that posess the co-dominant gene.

Does anyone out there have any ideas

greatly appreciated
Josh

sxr have produced some recently.
Southern Cross Reptiles - Tanami Woma Hatchlings
i think they may be claimed to be coastal x md, but im not certain. someone on here can probably clear that up.
also alot of people are saying they are jags.
however personally i dont think they look to be jags.
they dont have the same super clean colour/pattern jags seem to have and im not sure, they just dont scream jag to me. but i do think they still look incredible.
there are a few other people around producing nice RP's, not certain if anyone else is working with co-dom rp though??? (ofcoase besides jags)

I don't know if they are co-dom gene, but Snakepower produces some great looking RP carpets!

Check out his site [URLno links please/URL] :D

Last edited by a moderator:
""what they will be worth in the upcoming months or years""

If they are coastal x mds then i would say not much, its basically a mongrel. If it does turn out to be from a smuggled jag i would say even less and they should be destroyed and the owner/owners charged, isn't that what they do with smuggled snakes?? If it is the latter then i hope anyone who has bought from them previously get informed incase they have a cross that has been sold as a pure.

Off to feed my baby no doubt there will be lots to read once he's asleep!

If they are coastal x mds then i would say not much, its basically a mongrel. If it does turn out to be from a smuggled jag i would say even less and they should be destroyed and the owner/owners charged, isn't that what they do with smuggled snakes?? If it is the latter then i hope anyone who has bought from them previously get informed incase they have a cross that has been sold as a pure.

haha.. thats pretty funny. do people realize how popular jags are? do you realize how 'in demand' they are. most people wont want pure coastal jags like SXR are selling, most will want the designer jungle jags, darwin jags etc. the beaut thing about SXR is that the starting stock was pure coastal hence you actually know what you get and start with. most if not all the others i have found are who knows what crosses.

i do agree that this thread will again last forever.

to address the original question in regards to cost. from what i hear the females will be about 2K and males about 3K. ironically i have been offered similar dollars for my pure RP darwins

even if they are pure, i would say they will come down in price pretty quick. definatly quicker than albinos have/did, due to being a co dom gene.
personally i dont mind if they are md x or if it is the jag gene in them. id still love one.

Best not mention the rip off merchant Kris might sick the lawyers onto us for slander

But kris, then you only have a cool looking snake, I think that people want the whole Jag experiance, you know with the shaking and spasms...

whats the deal with the neuro problems?
do you know if its something that is part of the parcel with the leucistic gene?
or is it just by chance that the first jag had neuro probs and it cant be "shaken" (haha) now and is passed from gen to gen?
i hope thats not a stupid question .. haha

It's an issue that pops up with a certain stimulae is triggered with the snake like feeding other snakes ect

Its best to keep species pure!
If keepers want something that looks differant they should concentrate on breeding for traits.
Some are working on amazing pure species!
They are the respected keepers & I hope they keep it up!
Some used to be respected breeder have got a lot of keepers talking about them & its all bad.
They couldnt care less about the future of our awesome hobbie we have.
For some people its all about the money & they are good at pulling the wool over your eyes.

I used to look up to them, like & lot off other keepers.
NOT ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!

If the American Jags are in Australia, then highly illegal Crap has gone down.
This puts all true keepers pythons at risk of new desiese & dangerous pathergens.

How did Aust get OPMV or IBD ?

We really should keep this on the same path as the OPs topic.

"I simply am keen to locate an alternative source of these animals and establish what they will be worth in the upcoming months or years. I am more interested in what other keepers think they are worth and if anyone has any available."

it really is too early to tell what the prices will be. Most breeders won't work out a price on these until the see what they have to hold back and sell. Seeing as only 25% of each clutch will express the trait there is a good chance that they all will be held back or traded to other breeders for a few generations. Because of the seemingly high demand and short supply they will cost more than they are worth IMO. More importantly than price is to find someone you can trust to buy them from. Which in it's own could be a feat.

Regards.

50% of each clutch should show the rp trait whether breeding to normal, or to another RP with the same trait.
although i agree, alot, if not all of them will be hold backs and the rest probably wont be avaliable to just anyone.
judgeing off the sxr prices, they will be super expensive to start with but should come down pretty rappidly as you only need one animal with the trait to produce a clutch with half rp animals.
id be interested to know what the super form of the sxr animals are? is it still luecism?

Im interested to see where this new RP morph goes.. Some nice critters so far have been produced.

from what I have heard about $3k ea for jags is an ASKING price, but they were also MD crosses from a different person??

anyway being co-dom the price will drop drastically once out there,

j

It's an issue that pops up with a certain stimulae is triggered with the snake like feeding other snakes ect

No stimuli are required to bring the issue out. Stress exacerbates it, but for the most part, it's there to start with. From what I have seen, all Jags are what I'd consider to be "neurologically weak". Whether they shake and wobble or not, they just move differently than other carpets. Some aren't bad, and others are just plain nuts!

As for price for the RP's, if the American Jag market is any indicator, I bought my first Coastal Jag in '05 for $1250.00, which included shipping. I have personally seen '09's available for $275.00 this year. I think that's just a factor one must be prepared to deal with when it comes to a Co-Dominant trait in an animal that can produce 30+ eggs in a season.

No stimuli are required to bring the issue out. Stress exacerbates it, but for the most part, it's there to start with. From what I have seen, all Jags are what I'd consider to be "neurologically weak". Whether they shake and wobble or not, they just move differently than other carpets. Some aren't bad, and others are just plain nuts!

Ive heard the super forms tend to show more neurological issues than other jags...
Is this true? or does this just depend on the [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]individual.

Ive heard the super forms tend to show more neurological issues than other jags...
Is this true? or does this just depend on the individual.

the super form of the jag morph is luecism, which has been 100% fatal so far

Last edited:
isnt there a few super form jags kicking around in the states which have survived?

from what ive heard theyve all died?
but you could be right, im not certain.
id be interested to know aswell?

maybe mike knows more??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back