Snakes alive and aplenty in heat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published On: 12-2-2009
Source: The Mornington and Southern Penusular Mail

652329.jpg

PROFESSIONAL snake catcher Barry Goldsmith was at the Portsea pub a few weeks ago when a woman came in looking for a room for the night.

Nothing unusual until it was revealed the middle-aged

woman only lived up the road, but was unwilling to spend the night sharing her home with a 60-centimetre tiger snake.

Mr Goldsmith put on his catching 'hat' and came to her rescue. Next day he had three callouts for snakes _ at BlueScope Steel in Hastings where a worker saw a copperhead snake disappear down a phone cable pit, the hospital at HMAS Cerberus in Crib Point where nurses spotted a baby tiger snake slithering between bricks and later in the afternoon when he was with his family at a Red Hill carnival and captured a copperhead snake.

Go to Original Article

I had two reporters from different papers ring me last week and they both seemed to be trying to make out that there was a plague of snakes..
I was flat out trying to explain that is is not true.
Just more people coming into contact with them because of habitat destruction.
They still wanted a interested story.
i ended up telling the guy from the sun to go talk to somebody else.
As it was this paper misquoted me, exagerated everything and must have tried to find the worst pic out of the 100 or so taken.
That big pic sucks Daavid..
Cya tomorrow night mate.

All the pics on their web site are pretty grainy. The jpg format is pretty lossy but they wind the compression factor right up.

I thought to my self there were two species with "copper" coloured heads ;-)

No offence or anything, I'm sure you're a good snake catcher and all but...

He tells a gruesome story of what happens when a snake is decapitated: "The snake can live for up to 15 minutes and I've seen their eyes follow the assailant and in one instance watch as its body was taken away."

Nobody has a problem with this??

I have a huge problem with it, Im glad they got that bit right.
Except i said 10 minutes and they put 15..meh
I hope it may make people think before they cut the head off a snake..

He tells a gruesome story of what happens when a snake is decapitated: "The snake can live for up to 15 minutes and I've seen their eyes follow the assailant and in one instance watch as its body was taken away."

Do you have a problem that he said it or a problem that people do it?

Were you expecting it to die straight away,ladybredli ?
The only problem I have with that is THE PEOPLE THAT DO THIS !!
10 mins -15 mins who's counting ..what was aimed at that quote , was, the fact the snake was in pain all that time ...:evil:
BAZZZZZZ its a great pic and hope your message gets across to many more people ;)

In all honesty I don't think it'd make anyone that would actually cut off the head of a snake think twice at all. I also think it borders on fear mongering as well. Truth be told if people think a snakes eyes will follow them after THEIR HEAD HAS BEEN SEVERED FROM ITS BODY...they're likely to think they're even more dangerous than they already do.

Thats what I have a problem with.

In all honesty I don't think it'd make anyone that would actually cut off the head of a snake think twice at all. I also think it borders on fear mongering as well. Truth be told if people think a snakes eyes will follow them after THEIR HEAD HAS BEEN SEVERED FROM ITS BODY...they're likely to think they're even more dangerous than they already do.

Thats what I have a problem with.
So do you want to pretend that it doesnt happen to make you and those type of people feel better now?>

Good one Baz, I hate trying to deal with the local papers and the media. They love to twist your words

Per

[video=youtube;V9a_6W23oG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9a_6W23oG4[/video]

[video=youtube;SAQPZaFH3QY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQPZaFH3QY[/video]
[video=youtube;ZMv1wZYZ5eA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMv1wZYZ5eA[/video]

some vid clips ...

I also told the reporter that the prefered way for joe sixpack to kill a snake was to cut its head off,
Then i explained why this was cruel and inhumane.
i told him that is was not a quick was to die.
He decided to use the one line that seems to have gotten up your nose lb.
i see where ladybredli is coming from but scare mongering is not something im into,

Be that as it may, I wouldn't know, I don't generally go around cutting snakes heads off, so I've never witnessed it myself, I just think that trying to ward people off killing snakes by saying things like that is asking for trouble.

And I'm sure the snakes eyes weren't actually following its body, I'm sure it was just the last of the neurons firing etc.

And I'm sure the snakes eyes weren't actually following its body, I'm sure it was just the last of the neurons firing etc.
Sorry, you are wrong there, as a catcher, unfortunatly i have seen many.The neurons and nerves keep the body kicking for sure.
The head can see you, or see shadows, it opens its mouth in defence as you walk past it.
This indicates awareness, not neurons firing.

Sorry, you are wrong there, as a catcher, unfortunatly i have seen many.The neurons and nerves keep the body kicking for sure.
The head can see you, or see shadows, it opens its mouth in defence as you walk past it.
This indicates awareness, not neurons firing.

If you say so, but did you walk past it numerous times to ensure that it wasn't actually some form of last brain activity causing the mouth to open? Sorry, but I just happen to find it very hard to swallow that a snake whose body has been seperated from its head still has the ability to open and close its mouth and use its eyes.

I did walk past it a few times before i finally euthanised the head with a brick.

I have witnessed this before, and since, and if i was in any doubt, i would not bother to argue with you.

Until the brain is crushed or death comes from lack of oxygen or blood or whatever the disbodied snake is aware of its surroundings.

EXPLAINING about snakes and how they suffer is not causing trouble at all ...the more people are educated the less inclined they are to kill them and either accept that they live there too, or call a catcher to come and get it. Instead of killing or hurting it ...
You would be surprised once people get to actually find out some truths about snakes ,they are more open minded and actually start to appreciate the animal for its natural beauty and not just focus on it as a killing machine ...so the more that is told the better in the long run it will be ..even if it means Baz has now convinced only a handful of people ,thats a better % then prior to his article ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back