Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
geeze if you're gonna shell out 4 or 5k for a jag at least buy a nice one :shock: Not as if these ones are the only ones available:rolleyes:

geeze if you're gonna shell out 4 or 5k for a jag at least buy a nice one :shock: Not as if these ones are the only ones available:rolleyes:

true but from what i have been offered, these are the only ones that are pure coastals... nobody else i have found knows 100% what they have. people buying these know exactly what they are buying. i think some people should go on O/S forums to get a better understanding of these animals. while they are 4K etc they are yearlings and older... they arent hatchlings hence some people will possibly get some to breed next season. you will see the same on forums over seas... some people like em some dont. the outstanding animals you do see posted overseas are generally always young... truth be told after 2 yrs most dont appear nearly as nice as they did as juvies.

true but from what i have been offered, these are the only ones that are pure coastals... nobody else i have found knows 100% what they have. people buying these know exactly what they are buying. i think some people should go on O/S forums to get a better understanding of these animals. while they are 4K etc they are yearlings and older... they arent hatchlings hence some people will possibly get some to breed next season. you will see the same on forums over seas... some people like em some dont. the outstanding animals you do see posted overseas are generally always young... truth be told after 2 yrs most dont appear nearly as nice as they did as juvies.

if they are co-dom they CANNOT be pure coastals lol, will be waiting til some nice ones pop up

if they are co-dom they CANNOT be pure coastals lol, will be waiting til some nice ones pop up

why is that?
a jaguar is a coastal. its purely a mutation
so a coastal with the jaguar mutation bred to a normal coastal would produce pure coastals.... some with the jaguar mutation, some without it....

I am sure you've checked out the various uncensored threads on OS forums concerning these animals. If not I urge you to do so. Many experienced jag breeders have commented on these particular animals and the general consensus is that they are the bottom of the barrel jags. Id post a few links but they'd get removed :rolleyes:

You don't have to look far for much nicer ones.

Then can everyone who seems to know so much, and know of all these jag clutches please put some evidence behind thier hollow comments? There will be bugger all produced this year, those that have them can, and will be asking top dollar. The demand outweighs the supply by a country mile and I have a feeling people are going to be a little dirty when they realise they've missed the train. I'd hate to be sitting around for another 12 months waiting for Simon to release some more scraps onto the market. These snakes, well, this gene anyway is the most exciting development in Australian herpetaculture to work with in a very long time, the potential is limitless.

Then can everyone who seems to know so much, and know of all these jag clutches please put some evidence behind thier hollow comments? There will be bugger all produced this year, those that have them can, and will be asking top dollar. The demand outweighs the supply by a country mile and I have a feeling people are going to be a little dirty when they realise they've missed the train. I'd hate to be sitting around for another 12 months waiting for Simon to release some more scraps onto the market. These snakes, well, this gene anyway is the most exciting development in Australian herpetaculture to work with in a very long time, the potential is limitless.

do you know how many clutches simon has in the incubator? or everyone else for that matter? from what i have heard there will actually be quite a few around??

i know these are in high demand but you will find that alot of people will wait a couple of seasons for these due to the co-dom inheritance... it wont take very long for the numbers to be very high. those that just purchased one of the yearling males from simon will undoubtably try them next season and surely over many females.

why is that?
a jaguar is a coastal. its purely a mutation
so a coastal with the jaguar mutation bred to a normal coastal would produce pure coastals.... some with the jaguar mutation, some without it....

the ORIGINAL jag was a cross-breed, who knows how many times the ancestors of jags reaching australia now have been crossed again. you may have a %80 coastal but it will never be pure so why claim it as pure, i love the look of jags but pretending they are something when theyre not is just stupid

lol do some digging around mate, you'd be suprised what you can find on the internet

the ORIGINAL jag was a cross-breed, who knows how many times the ancestors of jags reaching australia now have been crossed again. you may have a %80 coastal but it will never be pure so why claim it as pure, i love the look of jags but pretending they are something when theyre not is just stupid

the first jag was definatly produced by breeding a pure coastal to a pure coastal.
although since then i agree theyve definatly been cross bred over and over and over with everything so the chances are very slim there are many/any pures around.

the first jag was definatly produced by breeding a pure coastal to a pure coastal.
although since then i agree theyve definatly been cross bred over and over and over with everything so the chances are very slim there are many/any pures around.

Epic Fail mate, i suggest you go back to the drawing boards

Epic Fail mate, i suggest you go back to the drawing boards

here mate, do some reading.
ill even link you to some material and copy paste it for you.

The Carpet Python

Jaguar carpets. One of the more familiar morphs is the jaguar carpet python. The jaguar is a rare genetic mutation that originates from the coastal carpet python. The first jaguar was produced in 1994 as a result of breeding two seemingly normal coastals. In 1998, the trait was proven to be genetic, though it is still poorly understood. It seems to be working in a codominant fashion, in that the trait is expressed in one form or another in the first generation of offspring.
This trait has proven to be much more complex than any other snake morph in existence. Several phases of the jaguar have appeared from the same genetic strain, including the hypo jaguar, red hypo jaguar, spotted red hypo jaguar, banded jaguar, patternless or “banana” jaguar and many more.
It is also worth mentioning that some of the “normal” siblings found among the jaguar clutches tend to differ to varying degrees from those of the wild type (normal unrelated coastals). Many (especially from the hypo and red hypo lines) develop dramatic contrast and brilliant color with age. Some closely resemble the pattern and coloration of a jungle carpet python (M. s. cheynei), and others look like diamond/jungle crosses. This is one reason we think the jaguar is not a typical codominant trait, but possibly a collaboration of multiple genes working together and/or independently. We hope to learn more about the genetic potential normal siblings possess.

here mate, do some reading.
ill even link you to some material and copy paste it for you.

The Carpet Python

Jaguar carpets. One of the more familiar morphs is the jaguar carpet python. The jaguar is a rare genetic mutation that originates from the coastal carpet python. The first jaguar was produced in 1994 as a result of breeding two seemingly normal coastals. In 1998, the trait was proven to be genetic, though it is still poorly understood. It seems to be working in a codominant fashion, in that the trait is expressed in one form or another in the first generation of offspring.
This trait has proven to be much more complex than any other snake morph in existence. Several phases of the jaguar have appeared from the same genetic strain, including the hypo jaguar, red hypo jaguar, spotted red hypo jaguar, banded jaguar, patternless or “banana” jaguar and many more.
It is also worth mentioning that some of the “normal” siblings found among the jaguar clutches tend to differ to varying degrees from those of the wild type (normal unrelated coastals). Many (especially from the hypo and red hypo lines) develop dramatic contrast and brilliant color with age. Some closely resemble the pattern and coloration of a jungle carpet python (M. s. cheynei), and others look like diamond/jungle crosses. This is one reason we think the jaguar is not a typical codominant trait, but possibly a collaboration of multiple genes working together and/or independently. We hope to learn more about the genetic potential normal siblings possess.

the original jag was produced from a carpet crossed with an irian jaya carpet. I dont mind if you do not believe this keep thinking you have a pure coastal, even if just for a minute the two snakes were two pure coastals - do you really think they would of kept pure lines going just so they could smuggle them into AUS??? lol no way... Once they are here tho of course they will be claiming they are pure havent you noticed the flaming anyone gets for talking or even posting pics of unpure species (jags seem to be an exception to the rule).
you can buy your overpriced "pure" snakes... ill just keep an eye out for one that actually looks good with a reasonable price

the original jag was produced from a carpet crossed with an irian jaya carpet. I dont mind if you do not believe this keep thinking you have a pure coastal, even if just for a minute the two snakes were two pure coastals - do you really think they would of kept pure lines going just so they could smuggle them into AUS??? lol no way... Once they are here tho of course they will be claiming they are pure havent you noticed the flaming anyone gets for talking or even posting pics of unpure species (jags seem to be an exception to the rule).
you can buy your overpriced "pure" snakes... ill just keep an eye out for one that actually looks good with a reasonable price

i think youll find that was the first ij jag. not jag. nobody bred the jag to an irian jaya for years after the first was produced. the first time they did breed them together they didnt expect much due to the irian jayas seemingly plain looks. although for some reason it further enhanced the colour, especially as the animal matured to about 2 years. im certain the first one was coastal to coastal. it does get confusing with all the x breeds happening with them though

i agree completely like i said before that there is a pretty slim chance that there are any pure coastal jags still around o/s. and even less chance of any here being pure.
and as for saving your money and i guess keeping your eye out for a nice jag... id definatly be doing the same mate hahah.

Thing is if they are really that in demand then why does it even ending up getting advertised, you'll think that after the article in the S&T mag about them thousands of people:? who would be interested in purchasing some will just go directly to SXR Inquire , get in the que and no need for them to get advertise for a few years at least ,and not advertise after the same year it was exposed in the magazine.

Herp market is pretty tight at the moment and will only gets worst and it's a lot of money to let go considering we know what defect this python carries in their gene.I personally think that they are not moving as fast as some people think but hey dreams are free so keep dreaming I say:D

you can buy your overpriced "pure" snakes... ill just keep an eye out for one that actually looks good with a reasonable price - so what are you saying here? that you really want RPM's / jags anyway but just dont want to pay this asking price? :lol:

this is incorrect.. the first jags were pure mcdowelli and later crossed with IJ. and if you want to know some more facts the yearlings RPM''s from SXR are pure mcdowelli and the line has been blood / DNA tested to prove this ;) but when have facts got in the way of some ill informed witch hunt on here?

all the whinging and whining about these issues and these animals in this thread and other threads just reeks of jealousy, uninformed pack mentality hysteria and sour grapes in my opinion..

heres a pic (no not mine but I wish) of one of the 'ugly mongrel hybrid so and so' animals some of you hate so much... and when I look at how beautiful it is I guess I can see why some people are so jealous.. an no Im not interested in some argument so dont even bother... have a nice day :D

Last edited:
this is incorrect.. the first jags were pure mcdowelli and later crossed with IJ. and if you want to know some more facts the yearlings RPM''s from SXR are pure mcdowelli and the line has been blood / DNA tested to prove this ;) but when have facts got in the way of some ill informed witch hunt on here?

all the whinging and whining about these issues and these animals in this thread and other threads just reeks of jealousy, uninformed pack mentality hysteria and sour grapes in my opinion..

heres a pic (no not mine but I wish) of one of the 'ugly mongrel hybrid so and so' animals some of you hate so much... and when I look at how beautiful it is I guess I can see why some people are so jealous.. an no Im not interested in some argument so dont even bother... have a nice day :D

Colin,
WOW that is a Beautiful Awesome looking python!

I don’t think that is what people are talking about on this thread.

I am also not pointing the finger at anyone just my opinion on what I see, hear & experience in this hobby.

There are Laws governing the Native Fauna in Australia some are blatantly abusing this!

rpm/jags?

So Colin you would be happy to get one of those at those prices even though they have neuro problems just because they look nice?No doubt there's some amazing looking jags but would you be willing to take them in with neuro problems then breed them which would include putting them across all types of morekia to find out which combination looks the best then happily sell them into the hobby knowing they had neurological problems?.Some of the SXR ones may have been coastals but wouldn't be a predictable line however there were many there that screamed jag!People will start crossing them with everything trying to get stronger animals so eventually they successfully get leucistics and many wwould also be trying that which will completely muddle everything up with siblings etc and in time noone will know what they have and.

If they looked like the pictures I've posted which I hope is okay with the person who sent them to me along with no neuro problems I'd love some and with animals like these why wouldn't you?I believe we'll be producing pyre Aussie animals just as good as jags with predictable percentages being jags.

Attachments

• jungle_jag_eggs_2009a.jpg
    jungle_jag_eggs_2009a.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 123
  • bright_JJ_eggs1.jpg
    bright_JJ_eggs1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 156
Browns!

You are spot on in my opinion!

I would buy from you & some others, that are working over many years to create pure RPs species.

Just for the record Reptile City only has 1 RP woma, & its NOT for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back