Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes you wonder if the people who have them and purchased enormously priced reasonably average looking animals especially in comparison to some of the awesome ones posted lately and if they knew about these neuro problems?We know they will be crossed with everything so there is a huge risk to the snake hobby in Australia.I follow what goes on overseas but not everything and this is the first time I've heard ALL jags are affected in some way from a twitch to spasmodic convulsions and that's hardly something I'd like to see come into the hobby.So again I wonder if people with these knew all jags are affected not just some as I myself thought was the case....?????????????????????????

i dont think the nuero issue is one to be ignored but lets be honest... the pedigree market in dogs is MUCH worse... the problems being bred in some dogs is much greater then this will ever be. unfortunetely i see these things as one of the costs of selective breeding... eventually alot of animals wil become problematic in the future. yes snakes are being bred to siblings etc... but how long before we see probs in alot of pure animals.... it took hundreds of year before the signs were seen in dogs.. maybe in a couple hundred years we will see lots of issues in snakes aswell?

no mate they interest me less and less now, but you only need to search OS forums, and there are thousands of keepers and the only references to neurological problems, are people who don't have them posting "i've heard all jags have neuro problems, is that right?"
Chili,
I suggest checking out the OS forums more. Many of the most prolific keepers and breeders of jags have expressed feelings similar to the effect that all jags have some sort of neuro issue, to some degree. Many do not show signs for years, some show them out of the egg.

It is for the most part a non issue. The neuro issue is tied directly to the jag gene, meaning the non-jag siblings do not have it. It cannot contaminate any other species. If you don't buy a jag, you have zero chance of getting the jaguar neurological issue into your collection. Period.

No worries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back