clone hachted!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renagade

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
after recently posting recently about hard gecko egg shells, i came home from a big night and checked the incubator to find a cracked open egg shell and on further inspection a baby clone gecko. i'm pretty happy about successfully cloning in my loungeroom.

Attachments

• baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 299
wow! how did you manage that? that's awesome!

aww! my cloners should breed next year. cant wait. good thing i got the crickets breeding otherwise itd be hard to feed them!

Congratulations and well done! :) Very cute :) I have a few incubating too :)

Do you know which clone is she?

bynoes. she is going well, i have chucked in a few pinheads i think i have seen her reacting to.

I know she is a Heteronotia complex ("Bynoe's") gecko, but I wondered if you knew which particular clone line she is from.

Aww, s/he is so cute! Thanks for sharing the picture with us, and congratulations, you must be pretty stoaked about the successful breeding. :)

I am sure Hetty would know :) I am almost certain I know now :)

mouse_has_faith: You can't actually breed these things, you can only clone them! :)

could someone explain what u mean by "clone" aside from the obvious???

In a nutshell, this species consists entirely of females which have cells overloaded with DNA. Their egg cells are too full to fit sperm DNA in, so they can not breed with males of closely related species (although they will copulate with them). Because of a few genetic quirks, their DNA does not separate when they make egg cells, so their entire DNA load is dumped into each one. Normal sexual animals (the ones which breed with males and females) produce eggs with one copy of DNA, then sperm provides another copy of DNA, and an individual with two copies of DNA (you and I both have two copies of DNA, one provided by mum and one provided by dad). These girls have three copies of DNA, so the eggs already have more DNA in them than a regular fertilised egg without being fertilised, so the eggs develop and hatch into clones of their mothers.

That's why this species is called Clone Gecko :) They have been around for over 100,000 years, cloning away every generation. Very cool!

wow!!! thanks heaps thats awesome and i now feel enlightened :p

We just got a couple of Bynoes, 1 of which is already gravid, could someone tell me how to tell if they are clones or sexual.

We just got a couple of Bynoes, 1 of which is already gravid, could someone tell me how to tell if they are clones or sexual.

Where did they come from? Are they captive bred or wild caught? Generally, if you don't know, they will probably be sexuals. In the eastern states they are almost all sexuals because the parthenogens (the clonal ones) aren't found around populated areas, and the closest populations of Heteronotia to Sydney, Brisbane and Darwin are sexual, and even where the parthenogens do exist there are sexuals living side by side with them, often literally.

So, on distribution you can sometimes confirm that they are sexual, but never confirm that they are clonal. If the individual is a male, you know he is sexual, because the Clone Geckoes don't have males.

To confirm an unknown one, you can either get a DNA test done (very expensive) or you can keep a female in isolation. If she has been in isolation since she hatched and she then lays eggs which themselves hatch, you will know she is a Clone Gecko. If she has ever been with males, she will have received sperm and will be storing it (even the Clones will store sperm, even though they can't use it). So, you will need to grow her babies up in isolation, if any of her babies are male you know she is sexual. If her babies are all female, and after being raised in isolation they lay eggs which hatch, you know that she is a Clone Gecko (and you know that all her babies and siblings will be female). Keeping them in isolation is absolutely essential, because if they ever have access to a male they will get sperm and store it, potentially for a long time.

The above is either very expensive or takes years! Easier is just to buy a Clone Gecko for less than the price of the DNA test ;)

more pics

the first 3 are of the mother and her enclosure. the last 2 of the new hatchy. :D

Attachments

• DSC02848.jpg
    DSC02848.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC02849.jpg
    DSC02849.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC02857.jpg
    DSC02857.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC02861.jpg
    DSC02861.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC02864.jpg
    DSC02864.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 52
Hey can u tell me how big ur adults are?
Also do u have a pic of one on ur hand or something (i know they are skittish gex so i understand if u dont)

i dont handle my gex... or any of my lizards so no. the aduld is fairly long but not very solid. she's probably about 12-14 cm long in total probably 7cm SVL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back