Chicken vs Rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweethips12

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just wondering if there is any harm in feeding chickens to Olives (or any python in general really) I brought a 4year female a few months back and she will only take chickens (i must admit i havent tryed any scenting techniques yet)
I have a ready supply of free chickens, so is there any harm in feeding chickens over rats?
I would love to hear some opinions,
thanks guys =)

As far as I am aware, feeding chickens is fine. So long as the chickens are being fed whole, the snake is still getting all of the nutrients they require. The only difference that I know of is that the poos can come out a bit runnier - I have heard that is something to do with the density of fur in rats (although it doesn't make sense since snakes that feed on pinkies don't have runny poos) Maybe someone else could shed some more light on this...?
Many snakes include birds in their diet in the wild so I personally don't see any problems there.
I know of a lot of people who feed chicks and quail to their snakes.

mine grow like their on steroids when i feed them big chunky chicken necks, full chickens couldnt hurt them except feeding them Fresh killed could expose them too nasties so chuck em in the freezer first if you can. mix up their diets too when you can i.e big rat every now and then or even a rabbit, even if it is a bit more difficult scenting should do the job

chickens and quail

Chickens are good as well as Quail but also feed rats and mice.
Pythons will be ok on chickens and after a few feeds chickens and Quail will digest with out any problems and pass the same as rats and mice.
We know that a different diet is good so I feed lots of quail as well as some rats and mice to all my pythons .
If you keep on feeding just chickens for some time then you may need to scent with rats or mice using the normal scenting methods.
try quail pm me.

quail feed- BHP

quail feeds-BHP and have fed chicken to BHP.

Attachments

• P7190038.JPG
    P7190038.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 53
I've been feeding chickens to all mine for a few months now, and yes, after the first few feeds they pass like rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back