Turn off Heat Lamps at Night?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toffee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was reading up a bit more and I was wondering if I need to turn off my heat lamps at night? I'm currently only turning off the UV tube at night.

I read this article that states:

Snakes have a day-night temperature cycle in the wild. Some studies indicate that if a reptile is constantly held at optimum temperature for weeks, it suffers heat stress. Males also have the sperm killed. It is probably best for a snake to spend the night at a temperature 5 to 20 degrees F below its daytime activity temperature.

Heat stress? What if I turn them off and it gets too cold?

Thanks.

dangerously low being...?

Im taking a guess here, under 18-20C is dangerous?

lol chillax. Your herps will be fine without heat at night. Even in the dessert most nights are bellow 0. You will also save yourself some money on the elec bill!

Your snake should also have a typical daylight and night cycle. So you snake should be in darkness at night, only applies if you are not using an infra red heat globe.

We dont use any heat at night, even in winter and live on the NSW Central Coast. Temps get down to 14 degrees or lower in the house overnight in winter but the snakes warm up during the day under heat lights.

Yeah I am using infra red heat globes.

I turned off the heat lamps last night and checked the temps this morning just before the lamps came back on and it was mid 20s, about 25C lol so he will be fine.

Thanks guys.

I run the heat from five in the morning till noon- usually by that time of the day its hot enough in the room anyway

I always turn my heat lamps off at night. My herps are in my room and if I didn't I'd be sleeping in bright light!

apart from the diamond mine all have heat 24/7,...(not that they bask continuously, but i like to give them the option)

so with the people who turn theirs off at night, do u give them a bit more heat after a feed or jsut stick with the normal routine,..?

None of my herps are heated at night, and I have a large variety of different reptiles. My room drops to about 14 in winter and 18 - 20 during summer.

I don't turn mine off. I have a ceramic on a thermostat in a largish enclosure so I let Snakey choose. She appears to be quite happy.

mine are getting NO heat atm, just a medium sized tub of ice in their cool end to keep a heat gradient

apart from the diamond mine all have heat 24/7,...(not that they bask continuously, but i like to give them the option)

so with the people who turn theirs off at night, do u give them a bit more heat after a feed or jsut stick with the normal routine,..?
I think you know the answer to that question already smartalic.

i have the lght turned off now but the enclosure sits at about 27-29 degrees during the day and probably get to about 19 at night while im sleeping would it be better to turn the heat back on? or jsut after a feed (this is for a water python)

I think you know the answer to that question already smartalic.

how was that being a smartalic?

i feel bad putting my diamond back in a cold cage after feeding her, she goes to where she sometimes finds heat and waits.
i was wondering what other people do,..i cant see how that was so offensive to you.

Usually during summer I provide UV 12hrs no heat at all for any of my animals. During winter usually UV and heat for 10hrs then nothing at night except for younger animals experiencing their first winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back