Polystyrene/foam water bowls?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ned_fisch

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Im looking to make a water bowl for my Knob tail geckos, and i've been wanting to know If I can use Polystyrene.

Can I use that for a water source for them? or, does it contain toxin's or the like?
If so, what could I use instead?

Thanks.

Couldn't be too toxic, humans use polystyrene cups to drink from.

Mate. . . .

No issues. Make sure that you seal them really well with a watered down PVA.

Follow this sites guide to fake rock backgrounds. For dragons and monitors you will need to make the surface strong enough to cope with their claws.

I have some volcano crater type water, feed and sandpit style bowls. I thinnk that there are some photo's in an album on my profile.

Cheers

One big problem with kids and polystyrene is if they ingest it it doesn't show up in xrays.
Tinky, isnt PVA water soluble??

Wokka,

You need to use external or waterproof PVA.

I think that this info is covered in the fake rock guide.

Having said that I also use a render/PVA mixto give colour and texture to final coates. Never had any issues other than when I did not put enough coates onto a fake rock and Bolt dug a hole in it.

I would be a little hesitant to use styro. I know that many animals like to pick at it and it may cause gut problems.

There are some beaut natural looking bowls on the market, if its the natural look you're after, otherwise a nice ceramic dish would do the job.

How big is it going to be? I use a small ceramic ramekin (small pie dish) for one of my juvi snake's water bowl, it's only about 80W x 120L x 50H & cost about $5 in Kmart

The larger sandpit, which is filled with walnut shell and sealed on all sides gets a good run. The dragons love when I put it in the enclosure and they can have a good dig. I use lino on the floor, so that when they toss clutches of shell out of the bowel, it is easy to clean up with a dust buster.

To be honest we mainly ues ceremic bowels for water and feed, as they are robust, easy to clean, and cheap enough that you can have a couple on rotation.

Just seal the surfacw with either Bondcrete, or a Pond Sealer- it is around $20 at Bunnings.

but whatever you do mate- do not just use straight foam with no sealer- the foam is likely to be eaten and a large chunk could lead to some needless complications- digestion, breathing, etc...And let's not forget DEATH ;)

Shoot me a PM if you would like to know the brand names- I have them on computer somewhere- in fact if you send me your email addy I have a 5 page word doc from tooninoz with full brandname details, prices and more detailed instructions than what he wrote in the sticky- kinda an expanded version I guess.

Enjoy.

Cheers guys.
Its not going to be anything to big.

100mm wide or so..
and 10-20mm deep.
I wanna make something that is natural looking, as what i've seen in pet shops, the colours arent as natural. and some can be quite expensive.

thanks Weezer, i'll send you my email address for the 5 page doc.

so geckos wouldnt be able to dig it up or bite chuncks out of it. as im making a whole fake rock wall with a water bolw and everything built in.

Wokka,

You need to use external or waterproof PVA.

I think that this info is covered in the fake rock guide.

Having said that I also use a render/PVA mixto give colour and texture to final coates. Never had any issues other than when I did not put enough coates onto a fake rock and Bolt dug a hole in it.

It is water ressistant, not waterproof. it is only a wood glue. I use a all purpose, water based sealant. Works a treat. Its also non toxic.
Still wouldn't recommend making water bowls though

Why do you think a knob tail needs a water bowl?

I'm up to the third generation water bowl less..

finnished product. tell me what u think. it looks a lot brighter from the flash but there all dark colours. i made the tank and backing from scratch. this is my first go at making a tank i recon it worked out ok. i will be changing the lid so the light is only the out side.

Attachments

• 100_1305.jpg
    100_1305.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 27
I have made a number of polystyrene water bowls for my Eastern Water Skinks. I cut the shape and create texture with a soldering iron. Heating the surface of the polystyrene till it starts to melt hardens it and makes it more resistant to small claws. I have used pond sealer on a dock but all the water bowls I have made I painted with a house paint that can be used on polystyrene and is drinking water safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back