Anyone use bleach to clean & disinfect enclosures?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its mixed with water firstly so it's not that strong to begin with and there's mainly poo left after removing the news paper with all the urine on it. so I dout anything would really happen
By that logic, it not being strong enough to react with anything cause its so diluted, would defeat its purpose as a disinfectant.

Secondly, even in diluted form it will leave behind a residue that could prove harmful to a reptile. i.e. When sea water dries out it leaves behind a salt residue. When brackish water dries it too leaves behind a residue, albeit not to the same extent as sea water but a residue is left behind none the less.

While visiting my X in hospital recently a couple of bottles of the pink disinfectant / handwash may have left with us . lt is perfect for cleaning cages and disinfecting hands , just takes a few minutes for the smell to go . lt is a 0.5% solution of Chlorhexidine Gluconate , whatever that is .

Commonly referred to as hexawash. It is a pre-surgical wash/general disinfectant. Vets often use it. You can also use it to treat things such as cuts/scale rot. While not as good as F10SC it is a great anti-fungal. You need to dilute it as well, as it is a concentrate. Instructions on dilution should be on the bottle.

Pretty low act stealing it though. Our medical system is already in need of major funding without some dimwit stealing supplies. Go swallow some glass.

I would recommend bleach, but only on an Albinos enclosure. LOL!!!

Commonly referred to as hexawash. It is a pre-surgical wash/general disinfectant. Vets often use it. You can also use it to treat things such as cuts/scale rot. While not as good as F10SC it is a great anti-fungal. You need to dilute it as well, as it is a concentrate. Instructions on dilution should be on the bottle.

Pretty low act stealing it though. Our medical system is already in need of major funding without some dimwit stealing supplies. Go swallow some glass.
Then wash it down with some hexawash

Bleach is a safe and effective all round disinfectant when used in the correct proportions. Chlorine bleach has been used for many decades by mothers to sterilize infant feeding utensils and the product does not require rinsing from babies bottles before use (yep, Milton is chlorine bleach).

I have used milton and diluted chorine bleach for almost a decade to sterilize silicon and teflon crop feeding tubes for birds that I handraise (around 20 to 30 birds each year) and have never had a problem with it affecting the chicks or not disinfecting the equipment properly. I was advised only last year by an avian vet that it's a very effective method of disinfecting especially when other methods aren't readily available. (I could boil the implements for at least 10 mins and that would be just as effective but I always forget the pot is on the stove and melt my Bovivet syringes!)

I think when it comes to cleaning products everyone finds their own particular favs. I have to mail order F10 or drive to the next town to get it, but I don't see the point when I have a bottle of bleach sitting under my sink. There are some misconceptions that chlorine bleach contains free chlorine and produces dioxins that are harmful to the enviroment this isn't so, chlorine bleach does not contain free chlorine but instead is sodium hydrochloride which degrades very quickly and does not produce dioxins like free chlorine does.

Last edited:
I did work experiance at the Australian reptile park (In Gosford) they had f10 bottles mounted on the walls everywhere, and i was using it to clean out the enclosures, so to me it looks like the best option.
But then again i don't know where to get the stuff???
I might try the vet as someone has mensioned;)

CHEERS TIM.

While visiting my X in hospital recently a couple of bottles of the pink disinfectant / handwash may have left with us . lt is perfect for cleaning cages and disinfecting hands , just takes a few minutes for the smell to go . lt is a 0.5% solution of Chlorhexidine Gluconate , whatever that is .

lol jungletrans...i too use cholorohexidine but only as a handwash, it is great stuff but only bcos its 70% ethanol ...
tim93 ....if your looking where to buy f10 from the cheapest place to get f10 online is kennel suppliers not reptile shops, check out this place- www.kennelsolutions.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back