Wireless internet opinions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tooninoz

Banned
Reaction score
I'm moving to an acreage property south of Brisbane this weekend, and whilst it has capacity for ADSL, I don't want to enter into a contract as I don't know how long I'll be there for?! I've been looking at wireless (its a desktop, not a notebook) and there's lots of conflicting info..... Anyone care to share some info? Any recommendations/warnings gratefully accepted! I'm not fazed whether it's prepaid or plan. Just want bang for the buck. cheers, John

Working in IT I've found wireless is hit and miss. First thing to do is confirm with your potential provider that reception is acceptable where you are, and if its not, or it is not strong and therefore the speeds are unusable, that you can cancel without penalty.

Secondly, wireless is SLOW compared to hardwired ADSL, and painful if you don't get 'full' reception.

I think there are a few ADSL plans that don't require contracts (although setup fees are usually higher).

My main experience with Telstra have been slow, Optus and Virgin (who use the optus network) have been surprisingly fast for a wireless connection - when the reception is there.

Good luck, you might need it!!

Cheers, FB. I'm moving to Logan Reserve and there's a comm tower on the property next door! I think reception will be OK, but the thing about speed is a worry.... I might look into the ADSL option some more? Thanks for the info tho' - it's invaluable and gives me a starting point. cheers

Cheers, FB. I'm moving to Logan Reserve and there's a comm tower on the property next door! I think reception will be OK,

As long as the comm tower includes your providers required wireless internet setup, probably.

Speed - well the ones I've used are 'ok', if you are into a bit of browsing and email, for a bit more of an internet enthusiast, especially if Youtube is important, I personally wouldn't bother with wireless.

I've used Dodo for pre-paid and was ok. Bit hit and miss until I worked out the best place to keep it and then it was pretty good. Agree with falconboy - for video clips, youtube etc it takes a bit of loading, stops and starts but if you are just looking at photos and 'still' webpages it should be ok.

Jumala, where abouts are you in nth qld? I've got dodo and its absolute CRAP! slower than dialup, most of the time, even when it has 3-4 bars of reception! Personally, I will never touch wireless like this again :)

do a check with people living in the same area and see what they use.
i have recently moved and we went wireless as optus gauranteed us service but could not step up.
i am now getting sattelite in mid january, until then i put up with dial up.
cheers:)

Yes, I was going to mention satellite. Not sure if its still around but the government was subsidising satellite for regional customers and the prices were reasonable. However I doubt you would qualify as you need to not be able to get ADSL or Wireless.

I got telstra big pond wireless ...and its not all that cracked up to be ....cause I live in the bush they have us by the short and curlys as nothing else works out here and they rip me off every month ...but if I want it I have to pay for it ...

wireless is CRAP!!

if you have the option to get a hard line, then get it.

Tooninoz logan reserve is the suburb next to me, i live in waterford west and i'd recommend getting the adsl, or even look into cable. you will regret the wireless option as it causes more drama's and is just a headache.

Go with ADSL. If you move, most providers can transfer the ADSL (If it is available where you move to next) for a small transfer fee.

I’ve got Virgin broadband, and in a word-CRAP! It may be partly my laptop, but it freezes all the time, disconnects by itself while I’m on the net, twice when I’ve tried to recharge the credit hasn’t gone through and I wasted my money. The second time this happened I decided to call them about it, I got transferred to people in America, and their attitude was absolutely shocking, I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to operators that rude before. They said it was showing on their computers that my credit had gone through, then EVENTUALLY they said it had been corrected. After an hour of trying it still didn’t work so I had to call them for a second time and sit around for 20 minutes. I am quite positive actually that they did it on purpose after the first time I called. So yeah, if for no other reason, don’t get Virgin because their attitude is unbelievable.

wireless is CRAP!!

if you have the option to get a hard line, then get it.

Tooninoz logan reserve is the suburb next to me, i live in waterford west and i'd recommend getting the adsl, or even look into cable. you will regret the wireless option as it causes more drama's and is just a headache.

Thanks for the opinions everyone - given me more to consider....
The only reason I wasn't keen on cable/DSL was the fact of having to sign up for a contract. I mightn't stay at the place for too long and don't want to be hit with a large bill if I decide to move back to the coast. Food for thought anyway!
cheers

Opinion - We're currently camping and I am using one of those USB wireless device thingos from Telstra - only works where there's a Next G signal but works slowly compared to ADSL (obviously). But we've been to some pretty remote places and got reception and conversely we've been to some not so remote places (like here on Mt Tamborine) and had spots of no reception at all!!!

I know with Telstra you can move your broadband with you - but you can be contract bound - agreed. But I have moved my broadband with Telstra before - phone up a few and see what they can offer - that's the best.

We currently have 2 desktop PCs AND 3 laptops in the house with cable internet connected to a wireless router and what i've found is we NEVER have any connection problems inc youtube etc on the laptops but the desktops constantly dropped out. So we ended up running ethernet cables under the house to both desktops.
I highly recommend you don't get a wireless connection for your desktop pc...how long will you be staying at the new place? I'm sure if you call some service providors like others suggested you might end up lucky and strike a deal.
Unless it's a laptop wireless sucks! Good luck with it.

I work for BigPond and I am trained in telstra products. If your looking ofr no contract then Pre-Paid Wireless broadband is the way to go. I have provided a link with all the relevant information:

Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband - Telstra

However if you are looking for better bang for your buck I would go Post-Paid. The is a half price discount for 12 months on a 24 month contract. You are also able to get a modem with an external antenna if you need it to improve your signal. If you are connecting a few computers then ask for the wireless Home Network gateway Modem.

We currently have 2 desktop PCs AND 3 laptops in the house with cable internet connected to a wireless router and what i've found is we NEVER have any connection problems inc youtube etc on the laptops but the desktops constantly dropped out.

The original poster is refering to Wireless internet, not hardwired internet with the computer connecting to a wireless router - very different scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back