Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungle_Fever1

Reaction score
How often do u feed your snakes,

Hatchies
Yearling
adults

do you think most people tend to over feed there snakes

I am amazed at the different times ppl feed their snakes. Some say weekly, fortnight, monthly or more. But all I can say is I am glad to have an animal that can go for such periods without food. I'd prefer to feed mine more often that I do (3-4 weeks) but I don't have the food for them. That's probably a good thing for them as I have a tendancy to overfeed. My big snakes need big food. I breed my own rats and often once the breeders get a good size to them, and have younger ones breeding, I'll knock off the big ones and give them straight to the snakes. But then they have to wait for the next ones to get decent size before they get more. But I am going to try mine on quails. I know my male carpet will eat it and possibly the bredli's and olives but the other carpets won't eat anything that don't smell ratty. I can't even trick Opals or Bindy into eating anything else. Won't even eat a guinea pig. Lovely animals and not overly demanding. Who could want anything else? :D

My feeding is completely random, time between feeding varies from a minute to a month for hatchy pythons and anytime up to around 6 months for adults(except for breeding females). I try to avoid feeding old food items, so the snakes eat what is avaiable when its available, which means more sometimes and less others.

my juvie scrub and olive get fed every 4 days with anything from 2 small sub rats to 4 or 5 weaner. Its lots but i love em big lol the rest are weekly

This would depend a lot on the size and quantity of food being offered at each sitting too.

hatchlings - every 4-5 days
yearlings - once a week
adults - depending on size
rats -1 every 10-15 days

All of my snakes (hatchos, yearlings, adults and 2yo) During summer get thier share in food every 6-8 days or so. During winter the hatchos are continued every 7-10 days, and the others are every 2-3 weeks/ once a month depending on temps and condition. the other two seasons it's a matter of gradually increasing food for summer, or gradually decreasing food for winter.

Nat ;)

Hatchies every 7 days
Yearlings 10 - 14 days
All other snakes I feed Small food items (small to med rats * 2) for larger snakes and feed every week to grow at a faster rate (not good for snakes lifespan) or every 2 weeks to 4 weeks. You should be able to see the muscle on your snakes back when they bend their body (hard to explain) if your snake s's up at you and you can not see muscle tone, the snake is too fat. Remember though you don't want to under feed you animal either.
Look at how snakes live in the wild and you will see that they go months without food sometimes and are very healthy as this is natural for the snake.
Other snakes like the rescue I did recently was in the chook shed every 4 days stealing eggs.

hatchies - 1-2 pinky mice every 4-5 days (can take up to month depending on stubburness of hatchy)
Yearlings - 1 -2 large mice every 7 - 10 days
sub adults (2years) - 1 small rat fortnightly
adults (3years +) - depending on size of snake
breeder male - 1 medium - 1 large rat monthly
bigger ones (8-9.5ft) - 2 large or 1 super and 1 large rat monthly

my big olive gets fed every 3 weeks my womas are every 1-2 weeks....my jungle hatchie is every week....my female olive is every 1-2 weeks

I feed my Monty boo once a fortnight, he has a big meal so it lasts him a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back