jungle made a mess of dinner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungle_Fever1

Reaction score
DSC03164-1.jpg

I was going to share my story of the same thing but you beat me too it! I ‘over defrosted’ a rat and when Monty went to eat it, it basically exploded a volcano of liquefied organs, and I puked. It was just so wrong...

Do you defrost the rats in hot water?

I found the same thing would happen with my male stimmie if I defrosted rats in hot water. Try putting the rat in an ice cream container and then placing the ice cream container into a larger bowl with hot water. Never had a rat explode defrosting this way.

I’ve defrosted mine that way, the one that ‘exploded’ on him I defrosted next to the heater. Fail.

That Jungle is insane!!!! Stunning snake!

As the others have said....... Hot water? I don't know why but It weakens the skin on the stomach and it ruptures? I now just leave the rats out and let them defrost naturally, have never had it happen since! Alternately, if u want to defrost quicker, put the rat in a sandwich or freezer bag and immerse this in water. No more exploding rats lol!

eww, thats soo icky,...!!

the jungle is rather nice,.. :)

Thanks for the lovely comments on the snake guys.

i normally defrost by putting the rats in a bag, then fill up a container with hot water then put the lid on.

My Jungle (FEVER is her name) managed to eat it all up and i just had to remove a bit of blood from the substrate and clean a fake plant.

ill take a pic of Fever and her partner Rumble, they are just under a year old and im really happy witht there progress

HOT water cooks it. They arent meant to eat rats with their insides hanging on the outside. It should be warm water, to warm up to body temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back