keeping diamond Pythons together ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Male diamonds don't combat as badly as some other male pythons but it does
happen sometimes with diamonds.
I have a pair of males which are separated throughout the winter from females
and each other and when the breeding season hits and when they are introduced for
the first time they combat quite rigorously, after separating them a couple of times
and letting each of them start mating they never combat at all for the rest of
the season and get on quite well all together with the females.

I have also witnessed males combatting in the wild once with two males
high up in a tree with the two snakes wrestling so bad they were falling down the branches
and trying to throw each other out of the tree.

Regardless of combat(or lack of) there is a small chance they may kill and eat the other snake. there was a thread about this happening with diamond pythons the same size some time ago.

That said i keep various snakes together at times, especially useful if you want them to mate.

Keeping Diamonds together is not a problem, as long as you have enough room for them, not to stress each other out. Males, especially, can be very restless, and this can stress the female. And of course, always feed seperatley, on the Hills Hoist....:lol:

I have no trouble with keeping diamonds together. If you keep snakes together make sure that if you have two in together, you have two basking sites, two hides etc so they have their own space if they want it. I have fed them in their aviaries together at the same time just keep them apart until they have finished eating, I have never experienced problems with them attacking each other. My diamonds range in size from 5ft to 8.5ft.
I have never seen male combat in diamonds(not saying it has never happened) but I do catch and release dozens of them throughout a season.

I now keep my two diamonds together. He is an 07 and she is an 08. There are no issues with feeding as he will only eat small rats and she will only eat mice and chicks. I will however separate them next season as I do not want him mating with her for at least another 2-3 years and they will be put back after the end of the mating season.

He initially tried intimidating her no doubt because she was the intruder into his viv but she seemed unfazed by it and he has since given up.

Mine are only together to save space as if I could I think I would have them separated all year round.

ps. mine have multiple hides which are confined enough to only allow one occupant should one want a break from the other.

Last edited:
hi i do believe diamond pythons are actually one of the many python breeds you can house together year round without any incident... they are from what i have read and heard able to live communally together

l have a female Diamond that tried to kill its male cage mate , constricted him to just this side of death before they were seperated . Do it if you want to but if one eats the other take pictures to warn others .

Keeping Diamonds together is fine, I have a close friend who had 5 together in an outdoor aviary at one time for 2-3 years.

Most occurances of Pythons constricting and attempting to eat each other is caused by mistaken identity. Most of the time when this occurs it is due to one of the cage mates becoming stimulted into a feeding response. Either smells, erratic movement, extreme hunger or a combination of these.

Most keepers will agree Diamonds are extremely greedy, so when housing Diamonds (or any snake) together keepers need to be extremely vigilant when it comes to housing them together. If you notice your snakes displaying ambush or feeding response behaviour be extremely careful not to entice a strike that may result in one of the cage mates becoming bitten and constricted.

Always try to isolate or seperate snakes early before feeding and leave them seperated for as long as possible after feeding.
Ensure they dont become excessively hungry.
Be careful not to accidently stimulate them into a feeding response or a strike, as that erratic movement may stimulate the other snake into biting at that movement, resulting in constriction.

down at my local reptile store most times i go in there they have 4 together and they dont seem to have a problem

Male combat in diamonds does not happen, in wild they pertake in orgies and males just wait there turn.
I keep all my diamonds in small groups all year round and separate for feeding/cooling etc.
As long as enclosure is big enough you can keep 2-3 diamonds together no worries, more if u have a large avairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back