What snake is this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really silly to think people are going to go out of their way to learn about the common reptile in their area and way to identify snakes if they're not a herp person, it's a shame to see the end result but you're all kidding yourself if you think anyones going to bother when they can just kill it and be done with it.

Everyone seems to get so upset and angry about everything and get too far involved into something beyond their control. If I wasn't a herp person and though a 'deadly' snake was on my boat, I wouldn't be waiting around for hours for the snake catcher to come, and then have to pay. I'd kill it.

It's really silly to think people are going to go out of their way to learn about the common reptile in their area and way to identify snakes if they're not a herp person, it's a shame to see the end result but you're all kidding yourself if you think anyones going to bother when they can just kill it and be done with it.

Everyone seems to get so upset and angry about everything and get too far involved into something beyond their control. If I wasn't a herp person and though a 'deadly' snake was on my boat, I wouldn't be waiting around for hours for the snake catcher to come, and then have to pay. I'd kill it.
does that attitude stand for every deadly shark that is in the water when your swimming too now ?
seems crazy right ...same thing ...in my books

Now i know to someone who knows there snakes could tell the difference straight away.. diff head shape diff scale count etc etc etc.. but to someone who doesnt know there snakes back to front could get them confused. I grew up in the bush n have come across many a brown snakes n many of pythons.. but never seen an olive python before..
My b'f walked down his steps the other day to be confronted with a snake sunning itself underneath.. they both scared the **** out of eachother n i came out to have a look. My first look at it made me think brown snake. but after watching the snake for a while n watch him slither his way slowly into a bush .. n then slowly sneak his way back out again without any agression at all made me think.. ohh maybe hes a python of sorts... so we just let the guy be..... So i came home googled as ya do... n im pretty convinced now the guy was a brown.. point is.... looked like a brown.. acted like a placid lil python..n unless i wanna start counting scales..if hes found under the front step again,its over n hr to the hospital and snake identification can be hard

Looks like on of the brown tree snakes I used to see heaps around the Caves near Katherine in NT

That was years ago now but Im sure we were told that although venomous not dangerous - saw one catch a bat on the fly one evening - totally awsome

It was placid because you didn't try and hurt it. Their temperament changes dramatically when they are hit with a stick
lol im aware of that.. but even a placid lil python can have a go if ya hit it with a stick.
A brown is likely to wanna have a go, or at least threaten too if you pretty much stand on him tho, and are generally fast moving and flee when threatened yea? this guy just wanted to slither around the front yard n stick his nose into the car tyres.

Great post!!! I agree 100% I know being a herper u have a soft spot for all reptiles,
But you are kidding your self if you think the general public give two ****s about any type of snake ven or not!!!!
Hell i remember hearing about farmers that use to shoot every thing, even blue tongues.
Its wrong i know but you are joking if you think most people call a snake handler every time they see a snake

Geez peoples, put yourself in his position!!! The guy probably knows absolutely nothing about snakes, fishing is probably his thing, not snakes, and all of a sudden he's got a bloody snake in his boat. He has probably spent all of his life with the "only good snake is a dead snake" attitude drummed into his head.
Geez...its not like he ran through the jungle with gumboots on and a shovel looking for it, it was in his bloody boat!!!
I wouldnt of killed it, i would if figured out a way to get it out, but i can assure you, 10 years ago, before i was a bit educated on snakes he would of copped the shovel.
Thankfully now i have turned the corner, and become educated and respectful of snakes and certainly would never kill one. Maybe one day this guy will too, but sometimes a reality check is in order.....people kill snakes i will no doubt get moderated for that, they dont seem to like me bringing that to your attention
As reptile enthusiasts, or amature herptologists or whatever we want to call ourselves, it is our responsibility to try and educate and convert as many people as possible, like i was converted myself, into respecting snakes, to try and weed out the "kill 'em all" mentality.
Burying our heads in the sand certainly wont help.
Put yourself in his shoes, you know a lot about snakes, he probably knows a lot about fish.

Maybe everybody could of kindly told markinaus what it was, and then suggested to him that he try and educate "the guy" about not needing to kill snakes, and seeing as though everyone knows a better way of deeling with the situation, you could of all taught him how to handle the situation better next time.
As it is now, next time he will probably do the same thing and not tell anyone. In his eyes, the only mistake he probably made was telling a bunch of people on here.

He said he tried to get it out with out killing it but it was to fiery and he was concerned about leaving in there.

I think this sentence pretty much sums up that

1. This guy didn't know what kind of snake it was.
2. He tried to get it out without killing it.
3. the snake got fiery.

cant really blame the guy

Mum got bitten by a snake few months ago after lifting the shade cover off the fish pond
they killed it
turns out it was only a whipsnake
but really dont blame em
looked like a baby brown to them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back