Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janelle22

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I Have a 11 month old jungle python that is very snappy, after about 5 mins of him being out he calms down but still gives nips here and there i know Jungles are like that but iv been told with carefull handling they calm down.
Can anyone help with ideas on how to calm him down?

keep handling him, more and more, but don't over do it.
Also try getting him out the enclosure with a hook.
I have recently tamed down an evil Darwin python, by constant handling and taking hundreds of bites.

Handling is not good for nervous snakes like jungles. If you want a tame snake you have the wrong subspecies. If a jungle is allowed to crawl around on your hand when it is young, it may settle down, but often not. I have a few that can be handled very carefully without getting bitten, but only one that is friendly and really doesn't like to snap. Not handling it is the best way to calm it down, and then try again when it's a bit more grown up and confident within its snakehood.

Get a small hook. iv previously made one out of a antenna
and modified the end ,so basically you've got one of those
retractable hooks that cost $20 at a pet shop, minus the pen like clip
to clip it on to a shirt.

any snake can be calmed down. jungle, water, coastal ect
all you need to do is stay calm! ,use the hook to get it out of
the enclosure and handle for around 5 - 8 Min's a day.but you
have to do it every day ,not just once a week.

don't fear bites ,when you get more experience you wont
even flinch when they bite you. but this is a big part
of the reptile keeping hobby.

more handling ,doesn't necessarily mean that it is
going to do the animal any good.so keep it under 8 mins.

cheers.

Thank you everybody :)
He is ok to get out i can reach in and pick him up with not even a strike but as soon as he is out thats when he starts to nip.

I had the same problem with my yearling BHP girl, 5 foot of BI*ch. But i have upgraded her food and after a few feeds she has become the so placid that i have been taking her out a few times a day without her minding (most of them are for cleaning , as she poo's alot but i still handel her for 5 or so mins once i have her out). So mabey try upgrading your jungles food?

apart from actually handling them..i used to put my jungles in the pocket of my hoodie..they'd curl up nice n happy while i pottered around doing wotever.or up my sleeves...then when i would sit id put my hands in there with them..now at 14mnths..i dare anyone to make em strike.:) they are the most gentle snakes now..but yes..it took time and nips;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back