Looking for Stumpy-tails

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deana

Reaction score
So i'm on a mission to find some baby stumpies... and i can't seem to find any.
I'm in the western suburbs of melbourne and have called a few pet shops and looked in trading post ect and no one has any. I get that they are prob not due to hatch yet but i cant get hold of anybody who knows somebody who has any :?
So my question is... does any one on here no where i can get a bubba?

They are not commonly for sale, I would try posting wanted ads on a few different sites. I got my first female when I wasn't even looking for one (in a petshop) and I bought her on the spot. My next female I got from posting wanted ads.
Good luck
Kim

They are not commonly for sale, I would try posting wanted ads on a few different sites. I got my first female when I wasn't even looking for one (in a petshop) and I bought her on the spot. My next female I got from posting wanted ads.
Good luck
Kim

Yeah, I've noticed that they're not sold often, I can't see why not. They're beautiful creatures, friendly, hardy and very common in the wild. I would think they'd be as common in captivity.

It'd probably be easier to get the special permit extension thingy where you can take one from the wild. If they're that impossible to find. I know a guy here that has a breeding colony of them, he has heaps. If I can find his number I'll PM it to you guys.

If you're really serious about getting a hold of one, they're commonly available from reptile dealers in WA. You will pay alot for them though when you take into account the CALM export fees.

oh wow such a demand, yet so hard to find. nalegde if you find that guys number that would be a great help :) so do you think people would sell them for over $100?

Hey everyone,

Never realised there is such a demand for these bobtails a.k.a stumpies as you call them over in the East.
There is plenty here for sale in WA, but as Glider has said the DEC export fee of $180 puts alot of people off from buying them over here.

This is the URL to Gary Davies's web site (West Aussie Reptiles), he is a licence catcher here in WA.
He always has a good number of stumpies for sale even though he my not have them for sale on his website.
Give him a ring and he will help you out.
http://www.westaussiereptiles.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74_71

This is the best way to explain the DEC export fee.
Quoted from www.PilbaraPythons.com

Export consignment fee
Export fee to areas out side of W.A is $180 per consignment up to five reptiles.
This effectively means that if you decide that you want to import five reptiles off
Pilbara Pythons in one consignment then that $180 covers all of the five reptiles. This works out at a cost of $36 per reptile. You can if you want to import more than five reptiles on a consignment but have to pay $10 for every additional reptile.

Good luck.

Last edited:
SA has heaps, there are a few down at the local herp shop.
Maybe I should get into breeding stumpy tails, then start putting awesome tags and localities on them.

The problem is not that people don't keep & breed them or that they arn't common.
They give live birth to generally two offspring per year, per female on average.
Given that a lot of people are always chasing them, with only limited offspring available each year
the demand is high & they get snapped up pretty quick.
The common type (mainly black) sell from $150 & up.
Goldfields (Black, white & orange) sell from $500 & up.
Most people who breed them have a waiting list.
Mine are gravid at the moment but I have more people waiting than expected offspring.

There were plenty of adults for sale at the Australian Bird Company, Springvale Rd Springvale. Not just birds anymore, they also have a fair range of reptiles and all the other odds and sods. Cant remember how much they were though...

if your looking in melb,also u wont generally find babies until around march,my female always drops mid to late march,as has been said,due to only having litter sizes averaging 2 bubs,numbers of captive breds are low,i dont really sell my bubs,but having kept babies from 6 out of the past 7 seasons,i may have to consider selling some,im expecting a couple of litters this season,but knowing me ill hang on to them,lol,there hard to sell

australian bird co in springvale,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,i swear ive heard of that place before???????????lol

They've changed hands in the last 3months and is now owned and operated by a lady that used to work there 15-20years ago! It has been cleaned up significantly and is worth giving another go too.

interesting... only 2 bubs per mum
richardsc stop hogging all the stumpies!!!
i'll have a look into that bird co.
those gold was are really beautiful too.... shame bout the price :(

There is one for sale on Herp Trader atm in Qld for $200 but it is 4 yrs old (if anyone is interested)

Buy an adult pair & breed them!
There is an adult pair advertised here at the moment for $250.
A pair every year, best of both worlds!

Like Alot of peoples have said there are alot of people in WA that sell . Im in WA and we are looking into breeding a selling them.

Stumpies have live young, they have very little young 1-4 in a litter, and if ever taking one from the wild remember...stumpies have life partners so this means they will only breed with the one same stumpy So if u take one adult from the wild you are stopping it breeding with the other one!!!
Not as common any more because of this.

Stumpies have live young, they have very little young 1-4 in a litter, and if ever taking one from the wild remember...stumpies have life partners so this means they will only breed with the one same stumpy So if u take one adult from the wild you are stopping it breeding with the other one!!!
Not as common any more because of this.

Sorry but the monogomus theory is utter BS. We have seen female shinglebacks in thier
natural environment being pursued by numerous males(6-8), often refered to as stumpie trains.
I have in my collection WC animals from WA and guess what yes they breed. these animals
where collected over a wide (kms) area.
As for stumpies not being common, venture into thier natural environment and you will find
they are plentiful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back