(4) yearling gtp's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WATERRAT....l am surprised you didn't recognise the GTP in the top photo, its actually one that you bred as the couple you sold it to aren't in a position to care for him for the next few months as a result l am herp sitting, so l thought he was well worth a photo as you claimed not many people have geniune 100 % aussie greens legally, so well worth a pic of your yearling stock......cheers solar 17 [Baden]

Baden, I did recognise it and I know it's in your care. I just didn't have any comments to make.
You know what I really think about the legality of (any) GTPs? If they are registered with the fauna authorities and people hold them under legit licence - THEY ARE ALL LEGAL. The sooner people realise that and stop arguing about the origins and some ancient legal / illegal acquisitions, the better.
There is still the argument which native GTPs are pure and which are not but that argument will always be there.

Interesting attachment, isn't it? Please no questions.

cheers
M

Last edited:
these just keep getting better and better Baden.... that last one is an absolute ripper love the blue linage around the head area, ya gotta be over the moon with that one.

And for the peeps asking i would be guessing that at least 2 of those are infact sorong GTP's originating from Indonesia yet still very closely related to our native merauke GTP's, there were a few of these made legal during the NSW amnesty years ago and to be honest they are my favorite type of GTP the blue linage you get through them is amazing to say the least. Now with the whole exotic debate as long as they are sold as sorong and not crossed with our native GTP's then whats the problem

any chance of seeing a few fresh pics of the bigger ones you have Baden if i remember correctly they were the first sorongs i had seen and instantly fell i love with them lol

Waterrat no were did I claim to know it all and was generalising in relation to the 90%.
I still believe most greens held in captivity are in the higher percentile of mixed pedigree as you have stated. And those that are of proven aussie greens such as your line wouldn't account for 30% of the market hence the estimation, I would be more then happy to be proven wrong.

Hopefully one day the pure aussie greens will be up there as I feel the pure aussie lines leave the others behind in all round appearance and appeal. But it comes down to personal choice and what appeals to the individuals wishing to own some of these magnificent animals.

As for the Merauke comments referencing Maxwells book it says the PNG and Cape York species are genetically linked, though according to australian ecologists it says that the aussie green should be treated as a different race. Not having a crack at you but has this happened yet? Hence my Merauke reference.

Sorry for detracting from your original post Solar again you have some cracker Greens regardless.

re (4

Hi Baden c,can onley see two pics in the post for some reason,the second i can see is a blue and black mite phase ,looks good .

Waterrat no were did I claim to know it all and was generalising in relation to the 90%.
I still believe most greens held in captivity are in the higher percentile of mixed pedigree as you have stated. And those that are of proven aussie greens such as your line wouldn't account for 30% of the market hence the estimation, I would be more then happy to be proven wrong.

Hopefully one day the pure aussie greens will be up there as I feel the pure aussie lines leave the others behind in all round appearance and appeal. But it comes down to personal choice and what appeals to the individuals wishing to own some of these magnificent animals.

As for the Merauke comments referencing Maxwells book it says the PNG and Cape York species are genetically linked, though according to australian ecologists it says that the aussie green should be treated as a different race. Not having a crack at you but has this happened yet? Hence my Merauke reference.

Sorry for detracting from your original post Solar again you have some cracker Greens regardless.

I am not having a go at you Yommy, I was referring to general comments from the wider community on this site.
Maxwell's statement about the genetic link was based on Rollings & Donnellan's work (no one else has done similar studies), which proposes genetic differences between northern and southern populations and mentions close relationship btw southern PNG and CY populations. Merauke is not the closest point (geographically) to Cape York, so if this is true then other, closer PNG populations would be also, if not more genetically linked to CY GTPs.
Ecologists and taxonomists (which Rollings & Donnellan are neither) are two different breeds. I definitely support notions that CY greens are ecologically different, their niche and trends are heavily influenced by CY's seasonality that differs from Equatorial regions and they may well be on evolutionary path to specietion. Are they there yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back