Gloves?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesthegeek

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for advice on some gloves for handling elapid's/feisty animals? Something preferably puncture proof, but not losing all the dexterity. I found 'Riggers' gloves for $4.95 in a local hardware store, look pretty good, thinking leather is a little supple and will probably not work. Any opinions?

Thanks - James

Are you thinking of handling elapids with the idea that gloves will protect you ?

i dont know much about elapid's

but i remember reading something similar to this.
but what i reed was that they said dont bother with gloves because there fangs sink right through most glove.

but other people know more than me on this so correct me if i am wrong please.

I am fully aware that gloves will only protect you so much, but for smaller snakes (hatchies/juvy's) it helps a lot. I have been using thick rubber gloves for my jungle and he hasn't been able to pierce them up until now.

The only advise that I can give you is DO NOT handle elapids without the correct training.

Do a venomous handling course BEFORE you even consider it.

It only takes one slip up & you will be in a world of trouble.

garycahill: Aware of that, I don't plan on handling them. Doing a ven course soon. :)

A broad headed snake envenomed a colleague through thick welders gloves, the same type of glove used by raptor handlers. These gloves are usually impenetrable, but not this time!

The sooner you do one the better, then this question will become obsolete regarding elapids.
For monitors, heavy welding gloves.
Anything else, hands.
Your hatchies will never calm down while you are handling them with gloves & nervous.

My personal view is if you have to use gloves you shouldnt be handling
snakes full stop!

My personal view is if you have to use gloves you shouldnt be handling
snakes full stop!

Very much agree. Also when your wearing gloves you dont really know just how much pressure you are applying to the snake.

There are some great puncture resistant gloves available for handling large monitors, but I would not recommend any for handling elapids, we have access to a variety of different ones should you require them!

I cringe at the mere thought of gloves being used to handle any type of snake. Too me it is a disaster waiting to happen for either the snake or the handler. Even the best of gloves are going to lessen your abilty to feel the pressure you are applying.

I can imagine (although I can't know for sure because common sense has stopped me from trying it) that you could either damage the snake (especially hatchling) or cause the snake discomfort and make it more angry than it usually would be.

Furthermore, everything is always a lot more clumpsy with glove, unless they are the tight fitting, latex type. Personally I would never try and head restrain a python with glove. I would be worried I would hurt the snake or loose my grip.

And as for elapids with gloves on....:|. I don't tail elapids (so I can't really point out the problems with this) but I really hope you didn't mean tailing with gloves on. I can see a tail getting caught in the gloves and.... not so nice things happening after that.....

I can see where everyone is coming from on the elapid side of things, as the idea of that is just blatently ignorant. I would not hesitate to use gloves in something like Joemal's case though, as I don't feel it reduces feel and judgment enough to hurt the snake.

I can see where everyone is coming from on the elapid side of things, as the idea of that is just blatently ignorant. I would not hesitate to use gloves in something like Joemal's case though, as I don't feel it reduces feel and judgment enough to hurt the snake.
Your right Blakehose .In my case i only use gloves on the scrubby to get her out she is fine after that and as the pics in my album show does become quiet placid .She has been a nasty bitch right from the start and i have lost too much blood to go pussy footing around with her .You get a good scrubby and you can get a bad one .Mine is bad but i would not swap her attitude for anything .Each to their own on how people handle their own snakes .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back