my new green tree python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
looked pretty small and emaciated in those pics. I doubt heat was the cause. I reckon it was fighting against a parasitic load, and the heat pushed it over the edge. The fact it didn't eat for you once kinda goes towards that hypothesis too

but, this is all just opinion.

Sorry for your loss mate.

Such young snake wouldn't have any parasites.
The metabolism of an ectothermic animal operates at faster rate in hot conditions, slower if it's kept in cold. If there is no food intake (energy), for along time the digestive system shuts down and the snake to doomed to die. Many keepers oppose to force-feeding but if your snake is kept in high temp environment and refuses to eat, force-feeding may be the only option.
He/she did look very small - did the breeder tell you what his/her body weight was (at hatching)?

The metabolism of an ectothermic animal is faster in hot conditions than if it's kept in cold. If there is no food intake (energy), for along time the digestive system shuts down and the snake to doomed to die. Many keepers oppose to force-feeding but if your snake is kept in high temp environment and refuses to eat, force-feeding may be the only option.
He/she did look very small - did the breeder tell you what his/her body weight was (at hatching)?

hate to break it to you, but i've seen a snake that small with parasites before. Don't know where you got that info from

hate to break it to you, but i've seen a snake that small with parasites before. Don't know where you got that info from

I got it from 40 years of experience and qualification in parasitology.
What parasites did you see, how did you see them and how old (not what size) was the snake you're referring to?

trickedoutz31- Talk to the breeder asap ,tell them your story and there might be a small chance they will replace it.

cheers

The metabolism of an ectothermic animal operates at faster rate in hot conditions, slower if it's kept in cold. If there is no food intake (energy), for along time the digestive system shuts down and the snake to doomed to die. Many keepers oppose to force-feeding but if your snake is kept in high temp environment and refuses to eat, force-feeding may be the only option.

envy was layed on the 30th of aug and hatched 52 days after that making her DOB 20th of october so envy is 2 months old she weighed 10.4grams at birth and has had 1 shed and 5 feeds and was incubated in a incubator with a 50/50 mix of substrate and water at 31.5deg C

Are you out of pocket or is the breeder going to give you another snake, Gtp's need a thermal gradiant but I still dont think that would kill it. Perhaps get an autopsy

trickedoutz31- Talk to the breeder asap ,tell them your story and there might be a small chance they will replace it.

cheers

ive already spoken to the breeder and was informed that the reason was the heat and kidney fail as envy has a blak lump inder his/her stomach.

im not expecting any replacement eventhough it would be awesome but im just using this as a lesson for the future and going to be more carefull with temps. the only thing im kicking myself about is the fact that i actully sold my car to buy envy lol :|

i cant afford to get an autopsy as xmas sent me broke however i have frozen envy's body in hope that when i have the cash the vet can still run the tests (not saying that the breeder is lieing to me i trust the breeders judgment) although a autopsy would clear things up a bit i supose

if you had to sell your car i would be asking for a replacement or atleasy some money back. thats what i would do

Harry

ive already spoken to the breeder and was informed that the reason was the heat and kidney fail as envy has a blak lump inder his/her stomach.

im not expecting any replacement eventhough it would be awesome but im just using this as a lesson for the future and going to be more carefull with temps. the only thing im kicking myself about is the fact that i actully sold my car to buy envy lol :|

i cant afford to get an autopsy as xmas sent me broke however i have frozen envy's body in hope that when i have the cash the vet can still run the tests (not saying that the breeder is lieing to me i trust the breeders judgment) although a autopsy would clear things up a bit i supose

Mate, don't waste your money on autopsy, after all, it won't bring your snake back and the chances are the results won't be conclusive.
I am not questioning the breeders diagnosis but the "black lump" was most probably signs of salmonella - normal occurrence few hours (even faster in hot conditions) after death. The kidney is not under the stomach.
Put it down to experience and get over it, s... happens.

Mate, don't waste your money on autopsy, after all, it won't bring your snake back and the chances are the results won't be conclusive.
I am not questioning the breeders diagnosis but the "black lump" was most probably signs of salmonella - normal occurrence few hours (even faster in hot conditions) after death. The kidney is not under the stomach.
Put it down to experience and get over it, s... happens.

yeah thats exactly what i plan on doing, learing from this for the future.

35C is way too hot for a GTP, especially a baby. They need a steady temp of about 28-29C as small juvies, and because they need to be kept in small tubs for the first few months, a gradient is hard to arrange, hence the conservative but steady temp. A young GTP would dehydrate very quickly at 35C, and a high temp like that would significantly affect the interest in food.

Baby GTPs DO drink from water bowls, just as adults do, as well as drinking droplets from their skin. A captive bred hatchy fed thawed or even fresh killed pink mice has nil chance of worms, but may pick up protozoan parasites if the rodents aren't from clean stock, or if it is kept in unclean conditions. The black or dark patch on the belly is bile staining from the gall bladder, and this can appear within a couple of hours of death especially if the enclosure is too hot.

The animal looks very small and was probably not well enough established to go to a novice. I don't sell mine unless I'm assured that the buyer knows what they're doing, and I'm sure that the animals are established enough to feed readily for their new owners. This usually means a minimum of 12-15 feeds during the time I have them.

Jamie.

Simple answer here,understand the husbandry of an animal you're about to purchase with the money from selling your own car.No offence but surely you understood thermal gradient and required temps as you do with your other pythons you've had before getting such an expensive animal wanting it enough to sacrifice your own source of transport?Very sorry at the loss of your little green,it was very very small:(

OMG that's terrible the pore little snakey so sorry to hear that mate

Simple answer here,understand the husbandry of an animal you're about to purchase with the money from selling your own car.No offence but surely you understood thermal gradient and required temps as you do with your other pythons you've had before getting such an expensive animal wanting it enough to sacrifice your own source of transport?Very sorry at the loss of your little green,it was very very small:(

I agree, although i feel very sorry for your loss dude.
Its a shame you got such a young one maybe with a few more feeds it would of been ideal!
I was very jealous of your purchase......but would hate to have to explain that to the misses!

It's alright to say the breeder should never have sold it at such a young age..

But on the other hand the buyer should have perhaps purchased a better established juvi.

Especially considering they were ovbiously a novice with GTP's.

I've heard so many times, off so many people just how difficult they can be to keep

& how they are not a beginners snake.

Having said that, it's very unfortunate that you have lost your lil GTP :(

re my

35C is way too hot for a GTP, especially a baby. They need a steady temp of about 28-29C as small juvies, and because they need to be kept in small tubs for the first few months, a gradient is hard to arrange, hence the conservative but steady temp. A young GTP would dehydrate very quickly at 35C, and a high temp like that would significantly affect the interest in food.

Baby GTPs DO drink from water bowls, just as adults do, as well as drinking droplets from their skin. A captive bred hatchy fed thawed or even fresh killed pink mice has nil chance of worms, but may pick up protozoan parasites if the rodents aren't from clean stock, or if it is kept in unclean conditions. The black or dark patch on the belly is bile staining from the gall bladder, and this can appear within a couple of hours of death especially if the enclosure is too hot.

The animal looks very small and was probably not well enough established to go to a novice. I don't sell mine unless I'm assured that the buyer knows what they're doing, and I'm sure that the animals are established enough to feed readily for their new owners. This usually means a minimum of 12-15 feeds during the time I have them.

Jamie.

Some good imformation,thats whats needed here,sorry to hear the snake died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back