Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Matt-

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Im just curious as to the techniques people use for removing large snakes out of their enclosures? Im mainly talking about Morelia (Scrubbies, coastals, etc) as they tend to wrap that prehensile tail around everything possible to avoid being removed from their homes. I dont know if its just me but trying to pull these snakes out sometimes tends to be a real pain, and the more branches in the enclosure the more difficult it gets. Just looking to see if there are any special techniques people use without having to pull all the branches out aswell?

hook under the head and hand on the tail and un wrap it from the brach and just take it out.

I dont have any techniques that you wouldn't already know! I'v just had to learn to live with the frustration

I don't use hooks.
At present I work about 3/4 of the snake out and throw it over my shoulder, I then grab the final third of the snake and hold it while untangling the tail (while the snake attempts to crawl back over my shoulder and hook it's head over a branch to work it's way back in again). Large carpets and scrubs are very strong! I guess I'll just continue to live with the frustration.

Snake hook if the python is enclosure territorial. Matt's tech. if it isn't... and if it's just plain nasty...well... you got to live with it lol

Just rub a live rat all over your arm and stick it into cage . The snake should now be wrapt around arm and easy to remove from cage . See part 2 for " how do l get this bloody great snake off my arm ? "

Just rub a live rat all over your arm and stick it into cage . The snake should now be wrapt around arm and easy to remove from cage . See part 2 for " how do l get this bloody great snake off my arm ? "

haha, where do I subscribe?

Snake hook if the python is enclosure territorial. Matt's tech. if it isn't... and if it's just plain nasty...well... you got to live with it lol

Im not worried about nasty snakes...Ive got that issue sorted lol, plus I dont use hooks on any of my snakes. All as Im after is any special tips that people use for the simplest way to pull a large snake out without it wanting to bring every branch along with it.

Cheers Jungletrans, but the main snake that I have this problem with is a large coastal that is so placid that he wont even bite me if I am covered in the smell of rodents :p lol

If they won't let me remove them from their cage, i just leave their enclosure door open and within a couple of mins they're out!

I have hides in my large snake enclosures that can be easily removed. That way all I do is annoy the snake enough so that it retreats to it's hide, at which point I simply remove the hide (snake included).

Come on Matt,put ur arm in the cages,when they latch onto ur arm pull them out,once there out worry about getting off your arm.I dont generally have a issue getting mine out,they are obedienced trained .LOL...MARK

i use cardboard boxes as hides. u know those boxes u get that computer paper comes in...
then if i need to get the snake out i just pick the box up and take the box out and lift the lid and there u go...snake :)

just leave door open coz they always want to come out when you dont want tthem too :p

I have hides in my large snake enclosures that can be easily removed. That way all I do is annoy the snake enough so that it retreats to it's hide, at which point I simply remove the hide (snake included).

This is how I set up my hide for my GTSnake, but instead of annoy, she seems to hang out on top or in the hide I have hanging from a ceiling, which makes it convienient for "playing" when I want it to happen. So a hide is a cool idea.

l usualy just tickle the tip of the tail , they dont like it and when they move you can lift them out .

Yes a very simple and effective method. I was also thinking of suggesting your other method too :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back