Is my python to big

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeman97404

Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering if any one can help me I have a 5 mounth old female Olive python and she is now 1.14m long and I just whant to now if she is to big for her age. As I now Olives grow Large but I don't now how quick they should grow.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Best to post a pic. Also depends on how often and how much you are feeding.
All snakes grow at different rates and its to do with their surroundings and their genetics not just their breed. IMO.
You should not be worried if your snake is not fat. If your snake has good muscle tone then keep doing what you've been doing.

Olive pythons will grow quite quickly if fed very regularly & it is not uncommon
for them to grow to 2m in 12 months if fed alot & kept heated all the time.

Ummm...didn't he say 1.14 meters

Presumably give or take a few cm ;)

Know very little about Olives, but a 1m + specimen that is 5 months old seems a good size, and unless you are power feeding it, I imagine it's just doing it's thang!

yeah dont know much about olives. but if its sposed to be able to grow upt to 2m by 12 months. i would say at 5 this is spot on.

Can somebody tell me what is classified as power feeding. I give her 2 mouse sized rats per week.
This is how many the man tolled me to give her becouse thats how many he fed her.

1.14 m (just over 3 ft) is about right for its age. is it thickening up yet??? as stated befor olives usually reach around 6ft (180cm) in 12 months. its why they are not reccomended for in expireanced herpers. in two years your snake will be 3 meters long (about 9- 10 ft)

power feeding is when you feed large meals multiple times in a week to speed up growth some irrisponsible breeders do it to have thier snakes at a breeding size earlier

put her on weiner rats about 80 grams once a week.

I would tend to agree that you could try increasing her food size gradually. My largest snake (only 11 months mind you) is a Bredli and she is comfortably taking 1 large weaner (~ 80g) rat per week. That being said, she is fairly heavy bodied and around 90cm -1m long. Your olive, however, might be longer but thinner.

Other on this forum know lots more about this than I, but I beleive that most pythons can digest a meal around 2-3 times the thickness of their maximum (unfed) girth, as a rough guide.

my 3 year old male olive is around 10ft and has around 5 large rats a month. Just got a baby female hatchling and she has 3 or 4 fuzzys every 2 weeks atm. As a general rule the food should be no bigger than double the maximum girth of the thickest part of the body, and you need to increase the food size to prevent the snake getting a pin-head. i.e a small head compared to the body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back