Ok, So the excitement is growing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake_Gal

Reaction score
Hey all you herp addicts.
I'm lookin at becoming a first time mum, well aunt I guess.
I have an absolutely gorgeous big 9ft Bredli python who found the man of her dreams this year. We tried last year but she never really had any interest in the male presented. This year we found a lovely big 7ft male who she decided was good enough to to strip her of her virginity an hour after being introduced.
We have been playing the waiting game for quite some time now and have not really noticed much change in her appearance or behavior. She is a very solid girl, as wide as a softball, her head is the size of the palm of my hand. Massive, in my opinion. I have not seen another female bredli any where near her size.

Anywho, about a week ago she started displaying real defensive behavior, even quite aggressive at times so I started thinking that maybe she really is gravid. At this stage still in with her b/f due to shuffling around of other snakes and a slight lack of space. She had her prelay just after Chrissy I think and have worked out that if gravid she will be due round about the 24th Jan.

5th Jan, checked her throughout the day just to make sure she was still ok, (I have been monitoring her obsessively, just in case) nothing unusual til about 10:30 that night. (see 1st pic) this was what I found...... belly up!! An indication I hope. So of course I decided her b/f really had to get out of there and shifted him out.
(Pic 2) Morning of 10th Jan. Belly up again.

So of course now the excitement is really starting to grow. I may have my first mummy snake getting ready to pop. Just wondering if anyone is able to tell me if belly up baking is a clear sign of being gravid.

Thanks all for reading, I'll stop chewing your ears off.
I will definitel post more updates as time passes.

Cheers all, and happy Herping in 2010
Bec

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 143
I was also wondering if anyone could tell me what would be the shortest time she would lay after prelay shed? I have been told it is generally around 28 days, but want to know what would be the earliest.

Thanks

Looks gravid to me. Well done. Get the male out and put a tub in her cage with sphagnum moss in it. She will go in and start to get organised before she lays. Some can go early like around 20 days , others around 40. But yes 26-30 days after pre lay is normal. Good luck with the incubation. Do you have your incubator set up? If not now is the time to get it sorted and settled to right temps.

Hey Albs,

Thanks for the reply. I already removed the male the first time I saw her belly up. That was definitely my first instinct.
Incubator is ready and set to go. Recently hatched my first lot of eggs for some friends of mine. 10 out of 11 we got, last one died in the egg and when we gently removed the egg from around the little one, it was clear to see it was very very deformed.

I will get her tub set up tomorrow. I will have to see if I can find any sphagnum moss available to buy. If not, what else can I use for her to lay in?

Thanks heaps
Bec

sound like you should have no problems. Sphagnum moss is readily available at bunnings, mitre 10 or most nurseries. This is all I use. Having said that, I have had many snakes that just decide to lay on the paper. A good black tub with lid and a hole cut in the side with a couple of bags of moss in it is my preferred set up and most of the time this is where they prefer to lay. Once you get her off the eggs don't be scared to seperate them. This is easy, just gently roll the eggs around so they seperate in the middle of where they were joined together. The eggs are quite strong and I have never torn one with this method. Makes looking after the eggs a lot easier. Don't worry about the furry patch where the eggs have come apart, this is normal. Enjoy!!

Reptiledude - Dont u worry there will be tonnes of pics!! Everyone will prolly get sick of seeing them, hahaha

Thanks so much Albs, the advice is greatly appreciated. It is going to be an absolutely awesome experience, I can't wait. I don't think Medusa will give the eggs up easily though. The fun part is going to be getting them from her.
I will be so frightened separating the eggs. I didn't have to do it with the ones that belonged to my friends. They just went straight in the cooker ready to go.

Thanks again ALbs
I will keep updating on the big girls progress

Was there not a post from you regarding a large Gravid female Bredli last season?? Did eggs not eventuate after the Vet visit??

Hey KatshirT, no unfortunately she reabsorbed due to possible lack of fertilisation from the male
But this year she was with a new man, and every chance the got they were none other than copulating. I have never seen 2 bigger addicts than when Medusa and her man were together.

I am wondering if anyone may be able to offer me any advice.......
How long do I let the big girl go until I should be worried about her becoming eggbound?
28 days from preshed was yesterday. And also, do I keep her temps up at normal? 32degrees hot end high 20's at the cool?

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.
Cheers Bec

They don`t re-absorb eggs, it was most likely a false pregnancy, hormone related. fingers crossed that she is gravid but you never know for sure until you have eggs, It may have the same outcome as last season. In the laying box i use a thick layer of water soaked newspaper. Don`t be too worried of seperating the eggs if they dont pull apart easily as they can tear, i`ve done that myself with bredli eggs, the clump sticks together really quickly. Its like they have been glued with araldite. :)

when my rep vet did an ultrasound we saw the shapes of many follicles that would develop into eggs if fertilised. The vet explained to me that they were not fertile so were then reabsorbed just like a meal would be. But I myself dont know what happened, I can only go by what the vet said and what we saw during the ultreasound.

I am hoping for better results this year.
I am REALLY hoping that the big girl chooses a time to lay whereby I am given the amazing chance to watch. That would make me happy for the rest of my life I reckon. Then I hope to see the babies while they hatch also. Wow that would be an experience and a half

dont stress yet. our bredli girl went 30 days before laying,but it could go up to 34-36 days.offer her a feed .if she takes it, probably not preggers ,if she ignores it, get the incubator ready.
cheers
simon

Last edited:
Can i ask when did you put the male in and what date did you take him out?
Thanks

Hi Cement, The introducing of the male was in late June, early July. There was no sign of interest from either of the pair until about start September, after numerous separations and reintroductions. In the first week of October we observed what we believe to be the first copulation. This occured every few days where they would spend a day or 2 separated then another few days copulating endlessly. So with this amount of interest ( and advice from breeders) I found no harm to leave them until they were no longer interested in each other. Photos were taken of them copulating right up til mid November when finally their infatuation with one another subsided. My big girl had her prelay shed on the 28th Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back