thick tail gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yewherper

Reaction score
Hi, guys i am getting a pair of thick tails and was wondering if some could show me some of their set-ups and tanks sizes. I have a 3ft tank and a 2ft tank, which one would be better for a sub-adult pair?
Thanks

with geckos you need to get a perfect size tank for them, ive been told that 60cm in length = 2ft is a perfect size for sub-adult to adult thick tails but for two you may want to increase this but its completely up to you

Ok thanks, Reptiles-R-us, I am thinking of moving my netted dragon into the 3ft and putting in the 2ft.
Thanks for your help.

i had a pair together in a 2ft tank, but one killed the other :(
so just keep an eye on them at all times for signs of dominance.

you will find your thickys wont fight mine dont infact i often find the huddled together in the hids
no wrroy abou dominace just make shore you dont have 2 males to gether

Ok cool, thanks for the help.
Anyway got some pics of their set-ups? would be great to see.
Thanks

word of advice :
if 2 animals are bought as breeding pair and kept together for along time they will consider each other just friends and in some cases will not mate, so u may wont to invest in two enclosures that are 2 foot and when ur ready to breed then put them together for 24hours and take the female out ; as it puts less stress on the female

word of advice :
if 2 animals are bought as breeding pair and kept together for along time they will consider each other just friends and in some cases will not mate, so u may wont to invest in two enclosures that are 2 foot and when ur ready to breed then put them together for 24hours and take the female out ; as it puts less stress on the female

Sounds just like marriage....;)

my setup pics:)
more thick tailed geckos 017.jpgmore thick tailed geckos 020.jpg
the lamp in the pic has a red light in it for night viewing:)

Hey thanks guy, Snocodile what time of heating do you have in your tank? and is it 4ft? if so do you have a pair in there?
Thanks

I have a pair but I could easily fit a trio on there:). I have no heat as thick tails don't need heat:). I'll measure the tank in the morning:)

word of advice :

i keep 4 gex (2m2f) together and they all seem to get along great! (so i think ur right on the friends call)
im happy to not get eggs as long as they look happy and healthy, i often find my boys snuggled up together which is apparently very unusual,...

ive had 1 infertile egg and theyre almost 2,..... :)

A standard 2ft tank is plenty big enough for a mature pair or a trio. Havent got any recent pics but heres a couple old shots of my enclosures. You seriously dont need large enclosures for most geckos.

I have a 2 footer with a adult pair.. i use double washed kids sand from bunnings with a log a coupla bits of bark and flat rocks.. no water bowl cause they dont drink out of it.. no heat (im in qld).. just mist every day.. If their young make sure you put a good tablespoon of calcium in the sand and mix as gut impaction can be a problem.. (good idea anyway for any reptile in sand) Be careful of over heating!! thicktails dont do heat too well.... will handle it a bit too cold rather than a bit too hot.. well good luck and enjoy.. funny little buggers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back