Inactive python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u can offer food, it may or may not take it.

if i notice my snakes are milky i dont bother feeding them that week, if i dont check them before i defrost their food and theyre milky i offer it anyway and have only been refused once.

Sheds can last a while, my coastal just shed last night and I noticed his eyes milky near a week ago, normally with my pythons there eyes go back to normal again before they actually shed

How long does it take for a murray darling to be fully grown? I know that they can get to about 8ft but how many months, years etc does it approximately take.

depends on how much you feed it mate feed more grows quicker
normaly i would say couple of years.

with regular feeding but not over feeding probably about 4 years, then again some people feed the hell outta them and have them breeding by 2 yrs.

Sheds can last a while, my coastal just shed last night and I noticed his eyes milky near a week ago, normally with my pythons there eyes go back to normal again before they actually shed

Thanx for that wazza - I noticed my bredli had milky eyes and I've been waiting a few days now for the shed I was concerned this morning though that the eyes were normal again and no shed?! your post puts my mind at ease. cheers!! :lol:

It finally shed Monday. It's a lot more active now and we are gonna try feed it tonight. Thanks again for everyones help. I suppose I was just being paranoid, but it is my first reptile so it's best to ask in my opinion.

When you have a reptile for the first time certain aspects can be a little confusing and daunting as it’s so much different to the things we are used to in humans and other animals, i.e. they shed their skin, they only eat once a week (approx.) instead of every single day, they can sit and literally do nothing for days... I also have an MD and I also live in Adelaide, which reptile shop is near you? There is Scales & Tails who actually breed MD’s and know a huge deal about reptiles, and then there is the Gully Reptile Centa, and a few pet shops who sell reptiles as well. So if you ever need some advice on anything in Adelaide PM me.
Remember to keep researching, buy some good books on pythons and you will eventually start to learn what’s normal and what’s not, sometimes it can be very hard to tell!

I just live down the road from Reptile City, They don't breed all of there reptiles and they don't often have Murray Darlings. We got our MD from a private breeder but he does also supply them to the reptile shop near me. I was planning on buying a reptile care book this week. which one would you recommend and do you know where I could get it from? Also I am guessing PM stands for private message. I am a bit clueless when it comes to these things. I wouldn't have a clue on how to do that.

Yeah PM stands for Private Message! I am clueless with a lot of the things people say on the net these days BRB, LOL, ROTFL, FML, etc. I usually just stare blankly at the screen. If you want to send a PM to someone you just click that persons User Name and it will take you to their profile, then you go to Contact info, and then send Private Message. Hope that helps.
As for books, Keeping Carpet Pythons by Simon Kortlang and Darren Green is a very good book to get, it’s only a small one so it doesn’t cost too much but has good info. I got mine from the Gully Reptile Centa. And then there is always Care of Australian Reptiles In Captivity by John Weigel. Both of these books you should find in a reptile shop, and the latter of the 2 you can sometimes find in book shops, I bought mine at Angus and Robertson. I’m always recommending these 2 books to people, but my personal favourite would have to be Keeping Carpet Pythons.

i would recomend 'keeping and breeding australian pythons' i think its got mike swans name on it but it has input from some of the most respected people in the reptile world. you can buy it from the herpshop for around $50.

Keeping Carpet Pythons by Simon Kortlang and Darren Green is a very good book to get, it’s only a small one so it doesn’t cost too much but has good info.

I got this off Ebay for $11.95 just a few days ago, Don't know if thats cheap or not but I didn't care! Bargain! I was happy :D
Can't wait for it to arrive.

i would recomend 'keeping and breeding australian pythons' i think its got mike swans name on it but it has input from some of the most respected people in the reptile world. you can buy it from the herpshop for around $50.

That’s the other book I was trying to think of! I don’t own it but I have wanted to get it for quite a while (you know when you see something and you think ‘I’ll get it next time, it will still be here’...). I borrowed it from the library when I was doing on an assignment on animal care.

I got this off Ebay for $11.95 just a few days ago, Don't know if thats cheap or not but I didn't care! Bargain! I was happy :D
Can't wait for it to arrive.

Yeah that’s an average price, it’s only a very small book as I said, 40 pages long. It’s just a little paperback, almost like a care guide, but it does have so much info for a very small book.

Thanks so much. It's great that there is a forum for this kinda thing otherwise i would be in a panic all the time for normal things snakes do. I think getting a book will also keep my mind at ease and thanks for the recommendations.

That’s the other book I was trying to think of! I don’t own it but I have wanted to get it for quite a while (you know when you see something and you think ‘I’ll get it next time, it will still be here’...). I borrowed it from the library when I was doing on an assignment on animal care.

yeah its the best book i own on snakes, covers everything head to tail really well writen too.

I just wish the binding was a little better...I have only had mine for about 3 months and it is falling apart. (The Mike Swann book)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back