Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its definatly just luck of the draw but still get suprised how relaxed my olive is, she will pace up and down the glass door when i get home from work everyday untill i let her out for a bit, she is very relaxed..... dinner time though she gets crazy eyes!

I would say MD's if i had to pick one type of python, but its up to the individual snake and what its bred from. The most placid pythons are often the ones that will get you with a feeding responce too :lol:

Well, my Bredli's are a delight, but my BHP from Cutting Edge Morelia is THE most placid snake I have EVER seen... I really feel the handling of a young snake makes ALL the difference.

I really feel the handling of a young snake makes ALL the difference.

Just as leaving them alone and waiting until they get some size and lose their small snake syndrome can work just as well. I have only ever kept 1 jungle python, it started out like a stereotypical snappy thing that would bite repeatedly, i didnt bother handling much but when it got to around 6' it simply wasnt as scared and wasnt interested in bitting.There are many ways to skin a cat, each to their own etc.

I have three pythons and never actually been bitten (touch wood!) Our Stimmies are super-placid - have been since hatchies and have never struck at anyone or looked like they were about to.

Our Bredli was a bit snappy as a hatchie and seemed to take a real dislike to me, but was cool around my husband! She settled down at around 6 months and is now very calm.

As Sdaji pointed out, I am judging from a very small pool, but IMO Stimmies are the most placid snakes with the added benefit that, even if they do bite, they are so small they can't do much damage anyway!

id take what i could get.. with that weak sense of humour.
haha fair enough. It's a Friday arvo I'm allowed a couple of looseners haha

Just as leaving them alone and waiting until they get some size and lose their small snake syndrome can work just as well. There are many ways to skin a cat, each to their own etc.
I agree, & there as there are many factors that can turn a placid snake into a stressed one, housing, temps, where it's located (high traffic room or near a sub-woofer etc), it's history, & just it's own individual temperment.
I was re-reading an article in a recent S&T mag from Doc Rock mentioning they line breed not just for colour/pattern etc but also for things like temperment, ease of feeding (converting to rodents etc).

thanks guy's, gives me an idea ;), thinking of getting an olive, and by the sounds of some people here they are (or can be) quiet placid and chilled.

Some of my womas as so placid they are almost dead, 2 of my childrenii and 2 of my stims won't even give you a feeding responce though the rest of my stims have bed food responce but will never bite once they know no food is on offer, my male BHP is child safe (just not directly after a feed), my water pythons is enclosure defensive but once your hands are on it it switches off, My adult MD is fine once out, can strike in the cage if you are stupid enough to wave your hand in it's face.

I was re-reading an article in a recent S&T mag from Doc Rock mentioning they line breed not just for colour/pattern etc but also for things like temperment, ease of feeding (converting to rodents etc).

For some reason there is a popular old wives tale that temperment, ease of feeding etc. cant be bred for. There would obviously be other factors apart from genetics, but its seems fairly obvious that it would play a large roll.

thanks guy's, gives me an idea ;), thinking of getting an olive, and by the sounds of some people here they are (or can be) quiet placid and chilled.

...and if you get one of the nasty ones you have 14 foot and anger tipped with a mouth full of teeth to deal with rather than a small Children's! :D Have fun!

I can't really judge from the few snakes I've met,but I definitely have a big soft spot for olives. I'll take my friends female olive out,and she's more than happy to curl up beside/behind me and fall asleep. It's pretty cute ^_^. And her male is just a big,rather strong,legless dog. Haha. My hatchie childrens is verrryyy placid,and was from the first time I held him at the shop I bought him at. He was a little flighty, but has never bitten me. He's settles down heaps now,and is more than happy to just sit in my hand or pocket.

This thread is very interesting
I have had a 2 yo Childrenii for about a month now - it is quite snappy I think I have only once managed to pick it up without it tagging and wrapping
Once I get it to release it seems ok

I would like to be able to at least have 50/50 chance of not getting tagged - not that it hurts or anything but its putting the Mrs off getting more reps.

In my collection i have;- a palmerson jungle that has never even looked at biting since a hatchie, a male jungle who had the same amount of handling as a hatchie who is the devil reincarnated(both 4/5yrs). A male BHP who even takes his food gently, his mate is the biggest drama queen, she hisses,and puts on the biggest display, has even spat, but never bitten, an occasional head butt when she gets really carried away(4yrs old). 3 womas who I dont think even know how to strike, though when hungry they do this excited tail wagging, to be seen to be believed ,its hilarious, all 2yrs. A 4yr old pair of hypo bredlis that i can even open their mouths. A yearly pair of olives, female very curious and placid, male curious but can be a little flightly, I think this will change with a little more age. Pair of diamonds that have never struck, 3 maculosas, the two females are fine but the male I even had to make custom tank for, he is extremely aggressive. I purchased him as a hatchie and nothing i have tried has helped, he is now 2yrs. Cant have him near 'traffic' as he head butts the glass, the tank is divided into to 2 sections to make cleaning possible. Even had to limit hides so i knew where he was to prevent being bitten(he would even come out of his hide to get me). 2 stimmies that are fine, and a pair of NT water pythons that havent had much handling, females fine but the males bitey(only yearlings). So out of the snakes that I have i would have to say the most 'chilled' would be either the bredlis or the womas, but my personal fav would have to be my male BHP, hes just a sweety ;-)

my bredli is an awesome snake never has striked never even looked like biting me.....

i think all snakes are good it how you treat them and where they have came from.. but scrubbys are bity but i think if you took the time to handle the every day any snake can be lovely

i have a jungle python its a yearling it hadnt been handle before me, i got him 5 days ago
atm he is milky and he is about to shed, he isnt nippy at all i can hit him on the head do anything iw ant with him he sits round my neck i pick up up to everything he hasnt ever got annoyed with me or been in the striking position..

My darwins are very placid & I've never had a problem with them....

My woma's are pretty much the same but my blondes, crazy bastards!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back