Calico Blackheaded Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkevo

Reaction score
Just starting a post for anyone with photos, or any information known about this morph. experience in age, size of when changes begin. breeding lines. inheritance etc.

Hey bkevo :]
Den on here knows his stuff on Calicos, and keeps lovely looking ones too. Theres a great article on them in Scales and Tails Issue one . I'll just sum up some extracts of the article for you!

Their transformation begins at around 2 years of age , starting with sporadic patches of pink, white and apricot coloured scales appearing over the dorsal areas of the snakes body . With every shed more and more dark pigiment is eliminated, and there isnt a definite answer as to why. Some believe that its a hormonal -based mutation seeing as all changes occour aftr the age of sexual maturity.
Regards,
Nikki

cheers, yeh i have read that. and wonder how many examples are out there?

re Calico

Heres a few pics from my own line of calicos,the young one is this seasons from the calico x axanthic,this baby is rather motley looking,unknown quantity what it will turn out like,splitrock reptiles call them hypos.

Hey bkevo :]
Den on here knows his stuff on Calicos, and keeps lovely looking ones too. Theres a great article on them in Scales and Tails Issue one .
Regards,
Nikki

What she said! ;)

zulu, the young one showing change already. thought it was a change around maturity or as quoted by nikki, from a scales and tails article.
thanks for sharing

re Calico

Hi kev,the condition the juvenile has with the white scales was inherited from its father which is an axanthic that also has a few snow white ventral scales,another young that died was a typical axanthic lacking yellow.
Whether the white scales are part of an inherited calico condition i dont know,onley time will tell.
_7013853.jpg

Neil Sonnemann (cmclean) has calico blackheads. He has a website if you type his name in google.

re Calico

The address for splitrock Split Rock Reptiles different names but basically the same morphs, down the bottom of the page they have Isabelle which has the white ventral scales also,some good pictures and imformation.

den - have you ever had one turn calico and then as it ages return to normal?

thanks joy - would be interested know if it does happen.....and also is it a heritable trait?

Cheers,
Dave

re Calico

cheers zulu

No problem,it does look as if its inherited a calico appearance from the outset,and thats something i havent seen before,DEN and joy will be so proud of the little zulu battler,free subscriptions to tails are probably on their way now :lol:

No problem,it does look as if its inherited a calico appearance from the outset,and thats something i havent seen before,DEN and joy will be so proud of the little zulu battler,free subscriptions to tails are probably on their way now :lol:

lol Zulu:p

Hot pics for sure you have there. You must be happy with them. :D

I'm sure Denver will be keen to chat with you about the calicos, as this is a line he's been working on for sometime now as well.

cheers
Joy

re Calico

lol Zulu:p

Hot pics for sure you have there. You must be happy with them. :D

I'm sure Denver will be keen to chat with you about the calicos, as this is a line he's been working on for sometime now as well.

cheers
Joy

Hi joy,actually ide say the little one with the white scales may just be regular,i was havibg a look on morelia pythons and Derek Roddy that has and breeds lots of bhps in the USA was showing the underneath belly pics of his and some had white lines down the belly bad luck zulu,your a little looser :lol:
Always up for looking at more shots of DEns bhps or Neil Sonnemans,anyone out there with them,one day ile crack an albino.
Signed The little loser :lol:

Lol Zulu, It's good to see more people willing to put the work in on this line, definitely not something to pair willy nilly. As soon as I'm online at my new place I'd love to have a good chat mate, maybe swap some images of 'interesting' 'calicos'....;-)

I'm also one that loves seeing images of Neil and Cathy's animals, maybe they will post one of theirs...? After all, most do trace back to Neil...

David. Out of all the 'calicos' I have worked with one has regained some of it's darker pigment but is still very unusual. The others I have are as vivid as they were when they hit their peak.

As for being genetically inheritable, that is a certainty. Out of one clutch of 12 I have produce 3 'calicos', all of different "grades". The others I have trace back to Neils lines through Kel's pairing.

On a side note I did crack the White Girl this season.... I'll make a post showing some of the resulting offspring shortly....

Den

Last edited:
Hi Colin, i had a BHP about 10 years ago that had white scales on its belly, it came from Peter Birch, which i think is from Withey's calico ( correct me if im wrong Bigguy ).
It did not turn Calico, or get anymore white scales from birth.

Hi joy,actually ide say the little one with the white scales may just be regular,i was havibg a look on morelia pythons and Derek Roddy that has and breeds lots of bhps in the USA was showing the underneath belly pics of his and some had white lines down the belly bad luck zulu,your a little looser :lol:
Always up for looking at more shots of DEns bhps or Neil Sonnemans,anyone out there with them,one day ile crack an albino.
Signed The little loser :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back