Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2. For those using chicken necks and/or whatever you are using is there any risk of sharp bones doing damage to a snakes internals as it goes down and so should be trimmed. A comment was made "you don't trim Rats" but their bones are intact ie. no sharp points and covered by fur.

I believe there would be a risk, i avoid feeding large necks to my snakes for this reason. I also remove any obvious sharp bits sticking out. Snakes can definately hurt or kill themselves by eating harmful food items. I wouldnt be suprised if they could swallow large necks with sharp bones sticking out with no side effects, but i dont see any point in risking it. The comparison with whole prey isnt valid at all, most animals are designed so they can be comfortably swalloed head first when whole, cut them up with jagged bones sticking out and its a differant story.

3. Do you warm/prepare the feeds the same as feeding a frozen rodent?

For heat sensing pythons it may help to warm them to help encourage a feeding responce, however many snakes dont seem to care.
:).

I'll be talking a bit more about this in the not too distant future. The project is still going, although it is a hassle cutting up dead rats all the time, so I have reduced the number of snakes on the guts-free diet.

re Feeding

My BHP's love chicken drumsticks.
They're the only pythons i will feed them too.

Bhps that ive got were largely raised on chicken necks and drumsticks alternated with rats and mice,i put pics on this forum of the them eating them several years back,these days they are on rats because i got tired of sitting down scrapinf fat off and tryibg to soak up the ice water they put in with them to bump up the price.Big coastals and diamonds used to eat the chicken drumsticks on occasion after ide scented them,not a thing to get carried away with but works in moderation.

this is probably a stupid question, but if you feeding things like drumsticks do they still react and have a feedign response? like coil up aroudn the drumstick and squeeze it to death?
If so isnt that a bit unhygenic for the snake? i mean, raw chicken can be quite sticky, and gettign that all over the snake? does it get messy liek that?

Just a question...maybe stupid but are these
just your every day supermarket drumsticks?
If so I question the chemicals etc
that get pumped into these kinds of meats...
I never eat supermarket meat for that reason.
Interesting experiment all the same. ;)

alot of the supermarkets are supplied by boning rooms adn catering companies

my god parents own Pj meats and they supply every safeway with the meat and wrapped stuff for htere shelves

no chemicals trust me , its the chicken you need to worry about

was in woolies yesterday and saw turkey necks much bigger in size for a comparable proce to chicken necks. has anyone tried these

great idea i better start feeding my snakes T bone steaks for dinner, and coco pops for breakfast. a good natural diet.

Here is an account of change of diet in Lace Monitors I un-intentionally trialled.

I had an adult pair of Lacies that had been breeding succesfully, laying fertile eggs and double clutching for me for 2 seasons.
They were fed on a routine diet as below:
SUMMER
Sunday - 3 weaner rats each
Monday - 2 eggs and 2 chicken necks or wings each
Tuesday - 5 mice each
Wednesday - 1 weaner rat and 1 DOC each
Thursday - starve day
Friday - 2 weaner rats and 1 DOC each
Saturday - 2 eggs and 2 chicken necks or wings each

SPRING/AUTUMN
Sunday - 2 weaner rats each
Monday - starve day
Tuesday - 3 mice each
Wednesday - 1 weaner rat and 1 egg each
Thursday - starve day
Friday - 2 weaner rats each
Saturday - starve day

WINTER
were not fed at all, unless we had a few hot days in a row and they were out and about, in this case they would be fed a mouse each.

The next season we then reverted to only feeding them 2 - 3 DOC per day or 4-5 chicken necks or wings per day(budget constraints). The first clutch comprised of 40% slugs that were shrivled, brown and clumped together with the other 60% of the eggs looked great.
The second clutch that season was all infertile and a shrivled up brown mess.

This next season we reverted back to our original diet stated at the top and our first clutch was about 80% fertile. Still waiting on the second clutch.

Our conclusion to the infertile eggs was the change in diet. However we dont have any hard evidence to support this. But our observations so far certainly suggest that the infertiles were probably due to the diet change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back