Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow-Serpent

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All :D this makes thread 204-239852-2462049862-9486-29486 for Rainbow-Serpent.....:lol:

Heres the story,

My Mum is happy to to let me have snakes now, provided I take care of them etc.

So I do that and she never even has to look at them. But it would be nice if she'd start to love them etc.

I've been keeping snakes for almost a year now and still she hasn't come around :eek:

So I was wondering if anyone has any past experiances to share, tips etc. :)

I have however had a little bit of progress. Yesterday I was trying to get her friend to pat one but she wouldn't, so Mum did and was like "God he's soft". (in the end her friend settled for patting my bredli boy).

I would just be happy with the fact you are allowed a snake, your mother will eventually come around.

Does it matter? Your allowed them, thats all that matters...i wouldnt push it.

why should she have to like them just because you do? be greatfull that your mum lets you keep snakes. theres heaps of kids on this site that would love tobe able to keep a snake and their parent/s wont let them because they dont like them. your mum may come around in her time, dont push her because you think she should like your snakes.

All I said is that it would be nice if she liked them. Not that I wasn't grateful and expected her to love them because I do.

Snakes and Parents

My parents never "came around" even though they let me keep them when i was a kid. You can't expect too much . Most parents ( and people ) are brought up to be snake phobic.

You are doing fine with your Mum already.

My mum wont alow snakes, mice and rats at all!...took me and dad years to let us have a lizard now she loves em...im working on the part when mum lets me get a kiddies python...

do you like everything your mum does? people have lots of different intrests it would be boring if everyone were exactly the same.

I say just be happy with what you got, My mum really HATES the snake but for that reason I don't push it don't ask her to hold it BUT she does think that it eating is pretty cool.

My Mum overcame her fear to let me enjoy a passion and for that Im very grateful so try to push it

just say "Mum i need a hand with something ... hold these guys while i clean their cages, thanks ;)" worked for me. the trick is not to give her time to say anything :)

I don't like Vegemite, red wine, beer, garlic or cereal with milk, but I accept that some people do like those things.... we're all different and like different things. If my mum was as accepting and tolerant of snakes as yours is I'd have had a snake 40 years ago!

My mum loves my snakes so its a plus to my passion to keep them but it took her a few months to build up the courage to handle my bredli.

Just be glad your mum lets you keep snakes... My mother does not like snakes, but tolerates them when she comes to stay at my house. (She hasn't retreated to a hotel, yet.) I was lucky that she let me keep a pet lizard and box turtle when I was a kid. She has admitted that snakes are interesting "if you are into that". That's about as good as it gets. Be thankful for her support and don't push her.

My mum was like that too.. But after a few drinks she got the hang of it pretty quick!

cabotinage - my mums a girly girl some-thing i am not, i will only wear foundation and eye liner. im the kind of girl that comes home with my dress covered in dog fur, when i go to the pet shop look at the rodent and herps, my wardrobe full of tank tops and mini shorts, my room already contains animals and my parents dont even like them inside, i spend my christmas money on my reptiles, i like to spend the weekend at our peice of land with my herps to run around for a few hours, i like very large dogs like german shepherds an great danes, mum hates animals i love animals...i dress like a girly girl - mini dresses, tanks ad shorts but i will do all these things in mini shorts a tank ...im nothing like ma mum in almost every way!

i was never allowed snakes either, but always wanted one.
i did eventually talk mum around into getting some water dragons, but it was on the understanding that i didnt get a snake.

anyways, the years past and mum really loved the dragons, i often would catch her chatting to them, but she still insisted on the "no snake" policy.

there comes a time when you just have to accept that some people just arent gonna enjoy the same things you do.

i eventually moved out and now enjoy the company of our diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back