olive python eating habits

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

popeye

Reaction score
g'day all, i've got a couple of olives, one is a feed and eat kind of snake, the other never eats till after an hour, sometimes two hours of throwing these large rats around her inclosure, from one end till the other, i've had to get rats out of her water bowl. If she is not tossing the rat around she drags it by the leg or head all over the place. Then she lays across it guarding it for quite a while, she is very, very protective of her food and will bite for 3-4 days after she has been feed, after that she is a lamb 99% of the time. she will do this behaivor if she is feed twice in a week or once in three weeks,. She is about 5yrs old, 8 and one half feet long and not over wieght as dont think a fat snake is a healthy snake. Would love to see some pics of your olives and thier enclosres esp the large ones, ta popeye.

Attachments

• snakes 013.jpg
    snakes 013.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 210
forgot to ask the question,( got to lay off the hard stuff man), does anyones do this , or are they pigs like most i've seen.

haha that sounds like an amusing olive. mine is only 1 year old and about 5 feet long, but still slender and solid muscle. she is a GUTS so i'm afraid i can't shed any light as to why your olive seems to be the only exception to the olive rule. lol
but they are gorgeous snakes either way and you are very lucky to have two of them!

Hey mate iv only got young ones hes only 6 foot and is just under 1 year old. Hes an absolute pig eats twice a week at the moment, never plays around its there 1 second gone the next

Wouldn't worry about it mate so long as it's eating them .Mine eats like a pig some days and almost goes to sleep on others while eating .Here's 2 pics of mine and her bed .Yep a babies bassinet.

na not worried joe, just curious as its diff to what i see as the norn, she just must like to savor the experiance, rubbing her face ,guardind,its very entertaining.ta eveyone ,anymore ,comeone , enclosures ,snake pics.
p.s she still eatseverything.

hey mate...i feed both my big olives rabbits....they are no more expensive than rats.....
i do give them a jumbo rat every 4th or 5th feed to change it up a bit or if i cant find rabbits...
here is a couple of pics of my bigger womas
female ( just under 10 feet)
102_0552.jpg

Male ) about 9 feet)
DSC_1645.jpg

cool rellik, i've been thinking of giving rabbits a go. ,a bit like mince meat to t-bone.everything grows better when you change from mice to rats. really nice snakes mate ,and yeah they are deffinaty olives..i 'have another photo from a year or so ago i'll post.

Ok, here's one of mine.

I have a couple of olives which I have had for 11 years now and they are the most frustrating snakes to feed as they are very aggressive feeders striking at food at every opportunity
but they will only eat the item if they grab it by the head perfectly & just continue swallowing
as if they grab any other part of the food item they will leave it and will continue to be in
a feeding mode wanting anything and anybody that goes near them, they usually take
the food after I offer it to them about 3 - 10 times till they are happy with how they have grabbed the food item.

Attachments

• DSCN3059.jpg
    DSCN3059.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 232
my male is like that....if i throw a rat/rabbit and he dont grab it...he wont touch it ...i usualy prod it with a hook or something to get it to start eating it....very good feed response just slow to finish the job lol

very nice Andrew, about what wieght is she,she looks coool.where they alwas hard to feed,or was this something that started as they got older, thanks mate. come on put em up, andrew is a clear winner so far.

G'day popeye, thanks for the good comments, the weight of that olive is about 8kg.
The bad eating habits started at about 2 years of age they would eat no problem
just taking thawed food items straight from forceps or off the floor and ate everytime
till then.

our olive girl is only 2 right now but she has a very high feeding response i do not have any recent pics of her i would guess she is 2m long now but i am pinning on some old pics for fun.
i am in the middle of paying somebody to make her an adul size enclosure now it is going to be 2m long .8m high and 1m wide she will be a happy little princess when that is done her enclosure she is in now is a bit small.
all my christmas bonus went to her.

Attachments

• omen.jpg
    omen.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 82
  • omen 0.jpg
    omen 0.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 74
  • omen 1.jpg
    omen 1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 75
very nice Andrew, about what wieght is she,she looks coool.where they alwas hard to feed,or was this something that started as they got older, thanks mate. come on put em up, andrew is a clear winner so far.

james134.jpg

well, come on Andrew, lets duke it out with pics....

this big girl is 17kgs, must have been a typo when you put yours at 8kg.... did you mean 18 kgs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back