How we built our new pond.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty_C

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just thought I would share my little pond adventure with you all.

We bought a house that already came with a concrete pond but it ended up developing a leak and we were constantly having to refill it so I thought I might try my hand at building a new one.

So here goes:

Here is the first pond. It was quite nice.
001.JPG

001.jpg

001.JPEG

Emptied out pond still with Papyrus to be removed.
002.JPG

Temporary housing for fish and plants consisted of many plastic tubs while the new one was being built:

IMG_1997
IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1999
IMG_1999.JPG

Papyrus removed ... let the destruction begin:
02.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

Old pond removed, then was time to bring in the dingo. We started to dig it but opted to hire a dingo to make life a little easier. That was way too much fun.
IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

Once the hole was how we wanted it, we started to think about shelves for plants etc so we placed some besser blocks around the inside of the pond and a few steps here and there. We used some old carpet to put over the blocks to remove any sharp edges so it would not tear the liner.

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

In goes the liner. Then was time to fill her up.

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

We started placing rocks around the pond but after they were going into place we were not really happy with the way the liner was being exposed.

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

After a few days of considering what could be done to fix the problem, we had a little help from this little queen.
IMG_1680.JPG

Meet Stella. She decided to fall into the pond one day and in a desperate attempt to get the hell out of it, tore a few massive holes in it. So we now were back to a very big water loss problem. We then had to remove all the rocks and get the liner out, which gave us a new start, so I revised the plans and bought a proper Firestone pond liner, 1.1mm thick so in the event of another cat mishap, it might stand a bit more of a chance. We also embedded some besser blocks around the top perimeter of the pond, just below the water level with a slight backwards tilt so that the rocks would be a little submerged.

IMG_3682.JPG

After getting some ideas after the accident, we put some more blocks on the pond floor this time for more ledges etc and then more carpet to take the edges away again.
IMG_3823.JPG

Try again with the liner:

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3822.JPG

Then was time to build a waterfall which was a pretty big exercise, then get the pump and filter in and try to get it right. We buried the filter ¾ into the ground behind the waterfall and also put some river pebbles down. It then started to look like a pond.

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

IMG_4675.JPG

IMG_4677.JPG

The next photos are with plants and fish in. We will also be cutting in a fountain along the pump line. We still have a few more things to do but it is mostly cosmetic. Your imagination and creativity is what will affect the final outcome. I am planning to build a 2 besser block high wall around it so I can finally get a turtle that I have always wanted and to keep the toads out.

IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4811.JPG

IMG_4812.JPG

Turtle Bay :D

IMG_4813.JPG

IMG_4814.JPG

I will add a few more photos when the wall gets built and the final things get done.

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for watching.

Cheers
Scotty

Love the dedication. Could chuck a couple crocs in there, it would solve your cat problem.
Great job.

Love the dedication. Could chuck a couple crocs in there, it would solve your cat problem.
Great job.

Thanks Crocboy,

Its 3.5m x 3.0m so yeah could fit a croc in it and would happily feed the cat to it. ;)

Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back