new outdoor enclosures (PICS)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helikaon

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
so as a few of you know i have the big outdoor pits where i keep the females, but i have just finsihed all my male outdoor enclosures. these are to keep the males seperate and so they are cooled naturally outside and also get natural sunlight and heating. Also so when it comes time for breeding i can rotate what ever females i want through the males enclosures. thought they were a great idea. these are 120cm long by 50 something wide by 50 something high. i used a soldering iron to melt out half the roof and replaced with wire. i also keep them half under the car port so that the cool end is always shaded as it can get bloody hot here. i will probably set up another lot of these soon for baby growing tanks. another good part about them is they are light as so easily moved to where ever is most suitable and can be flat packed if your moving. got them for 60 bucks at the reject shop for the aus ppl interested.

heres the pics
DSCF3736.jpg

DSCF3740.jpg

DSCF3737.jpg

DSCF3738.jpg

DSCF3739.jpg

cheers
H

You don't mention what you're keeping in there, but in any case, with the enclosures being black, wont they cook in the sun?

That's awesome, i've been looking at them thinking i should get them and do that exact same thing but was worried that they'd overheat.
What does the temps get to in them?

hey sorry yeah i keep bluetongues in them, yeah i was worried about heat as well, but half is alwyas in shade. as mentioned in first post. and they actually stay quite cool in the shaded end. though i have considered painting the sides and roof white to help reflect the heat. but its not needed if you keep them half shaded

they look really good. we were thinking of building something for our dragons this might work . thanks for the idea.

this is one reason this forum is so good...You get to see ideas from people you may not consider yourself. Looks very professional.

I was thinking that exact thing beat, But the problem is around the Sutherland Shire (fairly wide area i know :p) is the weather is CRAZY. I wanted a blue tongue and wanted it to be outside but i cant do it because the weather is too unpredictable :(

Bluetongues are great being kept outside in the sutherland shire thay occur
naturally there, the only problem I think you would have with the weather would
be if you wanted to see your bluetongue out and about everyday.

Hmm I know they occur out here we have had a few in my backyard me being in the Sydney Area but yeah i was thinking what if it hit 40 degrees or low temps But if i can do it my parents will have no problem with a blue tongue or two *wink wink* haha So yeah id love to figure out a way to do that !

Hey Mighty, I have kept bluey's outside for years as long as you give them good
shaded areas as well as access to drinking water and good sunlight they will do fine
but as they do naturally hibernate in the winter there will be a fair bit of time that you
won't be able to see or interact with them.

Sounds like a good life ;D Ill have to talk to you about it when I talk about the floor plans to my rentals ;D

I was thinking that exact thing beat, But the problem is around the Sutherland Shire (fairly wide area i know :p) is the weather is CRAZY. I wanted a blue tongue and wanted it to be outside but i cant do it because the weather is too unpredictable :(

I live in the Shire too...yep we get a lot of rain compared with other areas...my guess is that it is due to so many trees (which cant be a bad thing for the environment).

I guess you could cover some of it.

I am building a pit and going for Water Dragons...I dont think they are as affected by the weather...as to the Blueys...provided you gave them an elevated weather proof box..say made from marine ply or similar with a ramp and a hole cut with one of those drill hole makers (in a semi circle) I think they would be fine in the tubs...but yep...could see the entire box or boxes flooding in 30-40 mins if downpours like Friday? night occurred...then again with a bit of thought you could run the plastic draining under them with sand/gravel etc....lots of ways for compensating.

I was considering blueys but as I am putting in a pond I hear they swim like bricks..so probably not a good choice for me.

Last edited:
Yeah mate its been crazy lately thats why i have to find people with similar problems and solutions ;D Because i love Skinks and especially the blueys that come into my backyard (rarely but not never ;P)

I live in the Shire too...yep we get a lot of rain compared with other areas...my guess is that it is due to so many trees (which cant be a bad thing for the environment).

I guess you could cover some of it.

I am building a pit and going for Water Dragons...I dont think they are as affected by the weather...as to the Blueys...provided you gave them an elevated weather proof box..say made from marine ply or similar with a ramp and a hole cut with one of those drill hole makers (in a semi circle) I think they would be fine in the tubs...but yep...could see the entire box or boxes flooding in 30-40 mins if downpours like Friday? night occurred...then again with a bit of thought you could run the plastic draining under them with sand/gravel etc....lots of ways for compensating.

I was considering blueys but as I am putting in a pond I hear they swim like bricks..so probably not a good choice for me.

Yeah friends of mine have turtles in a fenced off area of back yard with a pond. They also house their blueys in their too. They found one of their blueys swimming, they use their tails like crocs to keep them moving in the water but still need stuff to cling too when they stop, or they sink!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back