Inherited 4yo male MD Python - questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelaP

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a few questions, but before I get to that I will introduce the situation.

I have recently moved house and in turn have adopted a 4 yo male Murray Darling Python. He is still in the same vivarium setup as he was when he was bought, it is very small, and has rarely been handled, his owner was a young boy who had a cancerous tumor in his brain, he loved to watch the snake, but was never well enough to handle him regularly. friends of family have tried to handle him, and although he is not agressive, he will strike many times at the person holding him. The snake has been fed twice weekly on adult mice since they got him. He is close to or more than 6 ft long and has a very small head and neck, but his body is about as round as a teens wrist.

Since I got him about 4 weeks ago I fed him only 1 mouse once per week for two weeks then I fed him a weaner rat about 3 days ago, which seemed rather big, and took him a long time to swallow. I'm not sure if there is a mouse or rat inbetween adult mouse and weaner rat size, but that would be good if there was. He has always eaten inside his enclosure. any info on feeding would be useful.

Because he has not been handled much, I have continuously gone to his viv and opened the door, or touched things in the viv with him in there, or cleaned it out with him in there to try to get him used to the fact that the door doesn't only get opened for meals...... I'm unsure on how to get him used to being handled, I have not picked him up myself because I'm scared of him striking at me and don't want to scare him by the instant reaction of pulling away. although I have not picked him up or touched him, I have had my hands in his viv many times and he has not struck me in his environment.

Because he is in such a small viv I am in the process of designing and building a larger viv for him. what I've thought of is 1200 high x 1200 long x 600 wide, with a 1200 x 600 x 600 base cabinet. I was thinking of using MDF with glass sliding doors (and painting it with a mould resistant paint). Because of the weight I was thinking of putting wheels on the bottom for easy maneuverability. Any ideas on what is the best wood/material to use? I want it to be strong, and to last. Does anyone have any comments on the size? is this too big or small or unsuitable? I also need help on what internals I will need eg, What kind of flooring (bark, grass, rocks), lighting, heating (mats etc), thermostats and thermometers and placements and temperatures, UV requirements, amount of water, ventilation (how many vents, where and how big - was thinking one on either side near the top, and one on the very top), do I plant live plants or use all fake plants and dead logs and branches, I do have some slate pieces for the heated area etc etc

Also because I am building a viv this big, I was wondering if MD's like company? should I get him a female to coinhabit with? or do they like to live solitary? If they do like to coinhabit, I would be happy to 'resue' another MD that somebody does not want, just like I have done with this little guy.

Please any information on MD's, building vivariums, feeding or anything else that anyone has to mention or comment on would be very useful for me and extremely helpful, I am a first time snake keeper, and want it to be a positive experience for the snake, myself and my family (young 2 year old daughter who loves animals).

Just before anyone decides to get opinionative or nasty, I'm trying to do the right thing by taking him in and am trying to find the best most useful information on how to provide him the best home/enclosure environment possible. I have rescued many animals from people who have just gotten over the excitement, and realised that an animal is a long term thing, and have and will personally take them into my own home and feed and care for them.

Any information would be helpful, even comments on if I am or am not doing the right thing with him in terms of feeding or vivarium setup.

Thankyou

Although i have not had much experience with MD's have a look at the WIKI page for the basics. Some one with more experience will give you better info soon. Good on you for taking care of it and giving it a home.

MD

Hi, good on you for taking him on. I can't really offer much advice although I too have an MD he just turned 1 on the 15th and he is eating weaner rats, one per week. I also handle him daily or every 2nd day depending on his feed or shedding times.He is never aggressive. As for size of enclosure do look up th wiki site but surely someone with md's can send you info PLEASE.

what size is he in right now?? Enclusre I mean.

Hi Angela, i Suggest you go and have a chat to Gavin Foreman @ Scales and Tails on Prospect Rd he will tell you everything you need to know, highly recommended, and great job for taking it in
PLEASE keep us updated and also welcome to APS

Last edited:
thanks guys,
hes in a 400 wide x 450 long x 600 high mdf unsealed viv, with glass doors, a heat lamp in the center at the top (which had no globe for about 6 months til i put one in because everyone was too scared to put their hand in), and glass doors, with an air vent at the top right side and bottom left side. oh and the thermometer in the center back of the viv stays around 25 to 27 c

Well done for taking the snake in.
Just a quick question- If everyone was too scared to put their hands in the tank, how was it cleaned?

Hey good on you for taken the MD home! and keeping it as ur own!
i keep 2 MDs and there about 1.5 years old, both around 5-6 foot and are about as thick as say a golf ball at the thickest part! they are both feeding fine on X Large rats!
as for handling you mite as well get him out and hold him as much as u can so he can get used to you! once u get bitten once you aren't as afraid! but yes it can hurt!
i keep each on in a 4 x 2 x 2 enclosure with paper as substrate a water dish big enough to get there whole body in and a snug hide hole! they then have a thermostat that keeps his heat globe at a good temp at round 26-28 degrees..
if u were to get decorations get them from a pet shop or that kind of thing as with stuff u find out side can contain some nasty's you do not want!

besides that i cant really think of much else! but do cheek out Wiki like the others said or look up a good official care guide

good luck hope it all goes well!

Well done for taking the snake in.
Just a quick question- If everyone was too scared to put their hands in the tank, how was it cleaned?

thanks, every couple months i believe they would try to pick him up with a towel and put him in a pillow case, clean it out and then put him back in, or get one of their friends that had snakes come and get him out and clean it out.
So far I haven't completely cleaned it out, but have cleaned all his droppings out using a long handled spoon, and taken his water bowl out and cleaned that and replaced with fresh water. I left him in while I did it, I didn't want to distress him too much.

Hey good on you for taken the MD home! and keeping it as ur own!
i keep 2 MDs and there about 1.5 years old, both around 5-6 foot and are about as thick as say a golf ball at the thickest part! they are both feeding fine on X Large rats!
as for handling you mite as well get him out and hold him as much as u can so he can get used to you! once u get bitten once you aren't as afraid! but yes it can hurt!
i keep each on in a 4 x 2 x 2 enclosure with paper as substrate a water dish big enough to get there whole body in and a snug hide hole! they then have a thermostat that keeps his heat globe at a good temp at round 26-28 degrees..
if u were to get decorations get them from a pet shop or that kind of thing as with stuff u find out side can contain some nasty's you do not want!

besides that i cant really think of much else! but do cheek out Wiki like the others said or look up a good official care guide

good luck hope it all goes well!

is a 4 x 2 x 2 big enough for an adult MD to live in comfortably? x-large rats are massive, bigger than kittens, how do they eat them that big? how often do they feed on an x-large rat? he is definitely bigger than a golf ball at his thickest part, i think he may be overweight, from what i have been reading

is a 4 x 2 x 2 big enough for an adult MD to live in comfortably? x-large rats are massive, bigger than kittens, how do they eat them that big? how often do they feed on an x-large rat? he is definitely bigger than a golf ball at his thickest part, i think he may be overweight, from what i have been reading

ur better off feeding ur snake smaller food items, bigger rats apparently have more fat which isnt good.

a breeder i was speaking to recently said he only feeds all his breeders (these are big snakes, diamonds, bhps etc) multiple rats around 100g.

if ur snake is already overwieght the smaller food (obviously not multiple items) should help him grow into it.

at 4 yrs old id feed him monthly.

Good on you for taking on the python :)

My MD girl is two years old and is now on 1 large weaner rat (100-150gm) per week as she's still growing.

The others have given you some good advice, the only thing I would like to add is that I'm not sure about using paint with mould inhibitors in it. I'm not sure about the toxicity level and if it could effect your snake. I have a waterbased 'wash and wear' acrylic on my MDF and it seems to be fine. I keep Snakey in a 90cmx60cmx100cm enclosure, being taller rather than longer. Your plans sound good and I'm sure he will be very comfortable in there.

In answer to your other questions...I have a 100watt ceramic (inside a protective cage) running off a thermostat (I use a 150watt in winter. For a bigger enclosure you will have to find what works best for you). I have a fluro (also in protective cage) for light, no uv light. I use 'Back to Nature' (Paper pellets) as substrate for the floor. Snakey loves to climb, so I included plenty of sturdy branches for her (just make sure they cannot tip over onto your python). Airvent placement in my enclosure is high one next to the heater and low one on the other side. . I hope that helps.

If you'd like good advice, I can personally recommend Jason and Michel at Reptile City @ Christies Beach (click on their link in the forum sponsors or send Jason a PM), they supplied a fully furnished home for Snakey when I bought her and they offer ongoing support. :)

Good luck with your new snake, I hope he will settle with time and patience.

Last edited:

Yeah they seem perfectly comfortable in a 4 x 2 x 2!
yeah they are big and as chris said high in fat but there still young im trying to get them big and ready for the season!
i tend to feed them once a week
from what it sound like he does sound over weight so keep it to the smaller foods like weaners! every 2-4 weeks untill he slender down.
but you should go into a shop where a professional is located they will be able to give you some more hands on advice!

MD

Hi Angela,
Good on you for taking him on. I have a yearling MD who eats a weaner rat once a week.
He is in a 900x600x600 melamine enclosure with ambient temp set at 28 Deg, Basking at 34 Deg and cool end at 24 deg. Good luck with him.

thanks heaps guys for all your comments and opinions, its been heaps of help,
i've gone with melamine sheeting to make his enclosure, since it is waterproof, and once sealed will be totally waterproof, so fluids wont seep through... Since i fed him a rat, its been a bit over a week, and he has been way more active, he still hasnt tried to strike me at all, in fact he will try to get away from me more than anything, but he is a very good boy, and inquisitive. i gave him a couple extra hiding places until his new enclosure is completed, and he has been using them all the time.

just a couple extra questions.... do i need a uv light or just a general light? also should i use a heat mat or lamp or both? and can i use logs and branches from my garden for his new enclosure? ive found some pretty good ones for climbing but am unsure of issues with using 'unsanitised' stuff.....
also i would like to know if anyone can tell me whether MD's like to live alone or like to live with a buddy/mate? (female or male) for company?

thanks everyone for all your help ;)

Well done for taking him on, most people wouldn't have. Taming anything takes tmie and dedication.Just keep up what you're doing, and whenever you go to pick him up, just stroke him gently to let him know you're there before doing so. He won't get the sudden shock of being lifted then. I'm sure someone else on here will get in contact soon about the more complicated stuff!

so everythings getting on track, but I took some advice from a reptile breeder, that larger rats are full of fat and smaller are better and leaner, so I left Sally for a couple of weeks after feeding him a larger rat and then fed him 2 smaller weaner rats, 1 at a time, which he took and ate with ease. Before I fed him he was lively and moved around alot, even the day after he was fine, but now he wont come out of his hide, if i touch him he moves, but he wont come out, and its been about 3 days hes been hiding, and he has yet to defacate.... any ideas from anyone? is this normal or is he fine and im overreacting?

he might be ready to shed when did he shed last, they get a bit cranky when shedding.it will take between 5 to 7 days to defecate after eating i hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back