Anyone live in FNQ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the.badger

Reaction score
We're thinking about moving up Cairns or Townsville way... Any thoughts? What's it like to live up there?

Yea I have herd there's a few people up there...

I'm actually interested to know too as I'm thinking about going to JCU (Townsy) in 2011

My sister lives in Townsville, has done for 10 plus years, and LOVES it. She was only in Brisbane before though, so not such a huge climate change.
She loves the whole lifestyle (a bit more laid back, not so busy).
Gets a bit steamy up there, although I'm told you get used to it.
You would be hard pressed to find a house that didn't have air-con and a pool.
Easy drive to some really nice places - rock pools, Airlie, a ferry ride to Magnetic Island.....nice.

Noice. Yeah I'm interested in going to JCU too DanTheMan, what are you thinking of studying?

Any insight as to Cairns vs Townsville? Obviously it's a personal choice, but what are your experiences?

I've heard Cairns is a hole, but I wouldn't take others opinions, I'm going to head up some time soon and check them out.
I'll be studying Zoology, I'll do my 1st year down here while at home living off Mummy and Daddy, but want to finish it up there. How about you?

Ahhh toss-up between Zoology and Environmental Science. Spose I could always do a double major eh?

Yep, we'll be heading up in the next couple of months to have a look-see. My other half is leaning more towards Cairns because it's closer to the Daintree (his fantasy home). But if I could convince him that there are cassowaries in near Townsville he might be swayed.

I won't make my decision until I spend at least 2 weeks at each, the Daintree does tickle my fancy..
I love humidity so looking forward to the tropical climate with warmer winters!

We live in Victoria and we have a bredli and a MD... would they be OK in FNQ or will it be too hot and humid for them?

I live in Cairns and wouldn't live anywhere else... as my friend put it - Townsville is for people who want to find work easily and Cairns (the unemployment capital of Australia) is for people who love the outdoors.

But work isn't hard to find - you just have to look :)

I won't make my decision until I spend at least 2 weeks at each, the Daintree does tickle my fancy..
I love humidity so looking forward to the tropical climate with warmer winters!

Yeah, winter there is warmer than summer here :) We only have enough time to spend 1 week in each I think, which is a shame. Slave to the needle and all that :(

What about facilities, jobs, housing etc in each town? Anyone know? Is the landscape around each town very different? Are there lots of hills around Townsville? (Other half is a keen mountain biker). Are there lots of creeks near Townsville?

I've been to Cairns for about half an hour, and never to Townsville, so I'm in the dark here!

I vote Cairns. Maybe a bit biased. Been here 8 years and love it. Feel I've found one of the best places in Australia. Surrounded by such beauty. So many amazing places to go. Rainforest, reef what more could you want? I have to admit im stuck here now due to family circumstances but don't mind at all.
I think Townsville has better services though eg hospital.
I think you should visit both for a quick trip and see what feels more like your cup of tea. Good luck with the move.

I live in Cairns and wouldn't live anywhere else... as my friend put it - Townsville is for people who want to find work easily and Cairns (the unemployment capital of Australia) is for people who love the outdoors.

But work isn't hard to find - you just have to look :)

Haha awesome. So what is it you love about Cairns, rather than Townsville?

We love the outdoors and a more laid-back lifestyle than we have here in Melbourne - no point moving to the tropics just to spend your whole life at work. BUT we have a morgage :( So we really couldn't afford to be unemployed for 6 months while we're trying to find something.

Does anyone know if you can work in the Navy Reserves in Cairns?

How about the people though? Same in both towns?
If Cairns is the unemployment capital of Australia, might say something about some of the people there? Or not really?

I vote Cairns. Maybe a bit biased. Been here 8 years and love it. Feel I've found one of the best places in Australia. Surrounded by such beauty. So many amazing places to go. Rainforest, reef what more could you want? I have to admit im stuck here now due to family circumstances but don't mind at all.
I think Townsville has better services though eg hospital.
I think you should visit both for a quick trip and see what feels more like your cup of tea. Good luck with the move.

Erm... what's wrong with the hospital in Cairns? Or is it just non-existant? Haha jeez.

Yeah, winter there is warmer than summer here :) We only have enough time to spend 1 week in each I think, which is a shame. Slave to the needle and all that :(

What about facilities, jobs, housing etc in each town? Anyone know? Is the landscape around each town very different? Are there lots of hills around Townsville? (Other half is a keen mountain biker). Are there lots of creeks near Townsville?

I've been to Cairns for about half an hour, and never to Townsville, so I'm in the dark here!

There is ONE hill in the middle of Townsville and it's bloody huge. It's called Castle Hill and you would not bike up it! Well, I wouldn't!
Crystal Creek is about an hour away, and it's beautiful.
Rollingstone Park, Paronella Park...all nice places not too far away..... aahhh.....good times :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back