RBBS questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsubakai

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
If there are any experienced redbelly breeders out there who would be willing to answer a few questions I would be grateful if you could send me a PM.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Is it available? If so where could I find it?

G'day Tsubakai,

I've kept and worked with Red Bellies for several years now - is it possible to discuss it on the forum? If not, email me at [email protected] as I'm not a fan of PM's.

Cheers

it is availiable if keepers want to look at it,and i do like opinions on the work ive done.These husbandry manuals do get published and become availible online in a wiki format so things can be added,as new things are learnt,and new data from studies becomes availible.

Thanks Jonno but I've got the answers I need.

Got a link to the manual Snake Pimp as I would be interested in looking at it?

i tried emailing it did you recieve??

the questions i answered where to do with female black snake reproductive biology,
after fertilization the gestation period is about 14 weeks which is the same as most aus elapid live bearers.
there is a couple of unique factors in the reproductive biology of black snakes also,one being that they are the only live bearer in there genus Pseudechis.And here is a little extract from my manual[FONT=&quot]The most unique factor in P.porphyriacus reproductive biology is “in all other species developing embryos, whether or not they are enclosed in a shell are nourished by the yolk surrounding the egg, and there is no physiological connection between them and the gravid female, except P.porphyriacus .This species may be truly viviparous, as studies have shown what appears to be the transfer of nutrients, in the form of electrolytes and amino acids, between the mother and her developing embryos[/FONT]

interesting

i tried emailing it did you recieve??

the questions i answered where to do with female black snake reproductive biology,
after fertilization the gestation period is about 14 weeks which is the same as most aus elapid live bearers.
there is a couple of unique factors in the reproductive biology of black snakes also,one being that they are the only live bearer in there genus Pseudechis.And here is a little extract from my manual[FONT=&quot]The most unique factor in P.porphyriacus reproductive biology is “in all other species developing embryos, whether or not they are enclosed in a shell are nourished by the yolk surrounding the egg, and there is no physiological connection between them and the gravid female, except P.porphyriacus .This species may be truly viviparous, as studies have shown what appears to be the transfer of nutrients, in the form of electrolytes and amino acids, between the mother and her developing embryos[/FONT]

Very interesting :)

I have a better idea, why not put some pictures together and present it at one of the AHS meetings.
Nothing fancy with no expectations. Just a presentation of what you put together. I think you would be surprised at how well people would receive it.

i have thought of a presentation, as ive spent so much time researching that some of the things i found about not just black snakes,but other large elapids where very interesting particularly when it comes to reproduction.But also growth was an interesting topic and [FONT=&quot]venom toxicity.

but you have to love the humble Red bellied Black snake,a way more intersting species than you would think. I like one of the original common names given which was "The crimson sided snake" which was a way better description than Red bellied black as they dont really have red bellys lol
[/FONT]

Last edited:
that font keeps on changing??? ah well,i tried sending that as an email and when i attach it it just keeps loading and nothing happens :(

herp society like AHS is the most stringent place to do a talk on this subject as you wanna have your facts right with an audience of peers who include acedemics.Its easy to slip up,lol ,as alot of things are learnt through researching other peoples work,its not from your own personal studies,you can only include your own personal experiances like i have with husbandry and handling,but the nitty gritty comes from published research.We love to research though!!:D especialy on our fav topic Australian Elapids

When can we book you in to talk at the AHS $nake Pimp I reckon it would be a great talk
as I enjoyed reading some of the paper you have done but I wouldn't mind seeing a whole lot more which I didn't get time to read when you last showed it to me.

Got a further question - what temperature should the warm spot be for a gravid female?

The basking spot temp is not so much the issue as long as the snake can thermoregulate. Pseudechis porphyriacus is a dark coloured snake, this adaption is thought to come from its habitat and hunting preferences. They spend most of their time hunting once they reach their PBT. This is rapidly lowered during hunting when they enter the water after frogs, fish and tadpoles. They then emerge and bask bring the pbt back up.

During digestion and while gestating P. porphyriacus will extend their amount of time they bask as they seem to try and regulate their Pbt with less variation.

I am not sure how you have your enclosure set up for them but a basking spot that reachs about 32 degrees Celsius seems to work for me, as long as they are able to regulate to a cooler area when they wish.

Snake pimp....I would be interested to see the article/essay you have written and the references you have used. Any chance of a copy?

Cheers,
Scott

i don't think the RBB gets the exposure it deserves.. but is a very popular herp to keep.

any enclosure pics from you keepers?
sux that nsw laws don't allow for much that would look nice.. like a pit.

The basking spot temp is not so much the issue as long as the snake can thermoregulate. Pseudechis porphyriacus is a dark coloured snake, this adaption is thought to come from its habitat and hunting preferences. They spend most of their time hunting once they reach their PBT. This is rapidly lowered during hunting when they enter the water after frogs, fish and tadpoles. They then emerge and bask bring the pbt back up.

During digestion and while gestating P. porphyriacus will extend their amount of time they bask as they seem to try and regulate their Pbt with less variation.

I am not sure how you have your enclosure set up for them but a basking spot that reachs about 32 degrees Celsius seems to work for me, as long as they are able to regulate to a cooler area when they wish.

Snake pimp....I would be interested to see the article/essay you have written and the references you have used. Any chance of a copy?

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks Scott. 32 is pretty much where the hot end is at using heat cord and a tile to sit her tub on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back