jungle hatchling!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayJJ

Reaction score
Hey.:) I'm just looking for some advice on feeding my new jungle hatchling.. He/she is about 6wks old.. I do have other snakes.. A WA bhp and two spotteds, all three of those were about 6mths when we got them and were feeding very well. My little jungle hasn't eaten for just under two weeks, and I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on how to get him/her to eat. The breeder was feeding pinkies. Jungle is still very active and looks healthy. I'm just not used to the little fellas!!!!
Any advice appreciated...:)

two weeks isnt very long for it not to eat. Check that the temps are right and has adequate hides to feel secure and just keep trying every now and then. I assume you are trying to feed it on mice as well?

Maybe also check with the breeder how well it was feeding. Some will need a bit of proviking to strike at the food.....

Cheers,
Dave

it also may be coming up to a shed and wont want to eat.

Thanks David,
I was thinking a shed, but still very active and not dull at all. But you never know. So even little hatchlings will go a couple of weeks without a feed? Breeder said he was feeding well.

Thanks David,
I was thinking a shed, but still very active and not dull at all. But you never know. So even little hatchlings will go a couple of weeks without a feed? Breeder said he was feeding well. He has plenty of hides, and we are trying him on few day old pinkies..

Hey

i just got a couple of yearling jungles.

One fed straight away the other was not interested at all. i left him be all together for a few days to let him settle - then tried again - no luck... left it another few days and tried with a fuzzy smaller than he would normally eat and he nailed it - then another, then a full grown mouse all within 10 mins... Just give it some space to settle in

how old is the snake and do you know how many previous feeds its had?

It should be fine for several weeks, as long as its not totally malnurished as it is. Ive had a few hatchys that have taken over a month to start feeding.

You could also try braining the pinky before feeding it.

Or leave the pinky in overnight and see if it eats it.

For the first couple of feeds with my stimmi I had to make the room pretty much pitch black (apart from her red light) Also before I defrost her mice I like to rub them in a corner of her enclosure so she gets a little excited and goes into hunting mode. It also doesn't hurt to pierce their skull.

Thanks heaps for the advice guys!!! He is about 6 weeks old and has had two feeds before I got him. I'll get a decent pic of him and post it morro.. He/she is nice and healthy and has got a bit of weight, so i think i'll just let him be for a couple of days and see how we go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back