BHP thinks it is a cobra???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonesanlainie

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a female BHP (QLD form) who is 2 years old and has started a behaviou I havn't seen before where she holds her head up for long periods of time (like 20mins) and was wondering if others had seen thsi behaviour? None of my other snakes exhibit this type of behaviour. She will stick her head out of her hide and do it, even in her basking spot she will do it so it had me intrigued as to why this is. She has a 5ft enclosure and a basking tile (with heat cords under it, controlled by a thermostat), she does this behaviour at any time, regardless of feeding regime.

Any thoughts? I have attached a pic of her typical stance. It is because she holds this stance no matter where she is in the enclosure and for a lengthy time that I am curious.

Cheers

Attachments

• 23012010492.jpg
    23012010492.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 302
lol...this is normal behaviour tones, this is what makes BHP/Woma's so special, no other python has these special characteristics

Isnt that why so many people keep Bhps'? so they can trick their mates into thining they have a deadly snake, great party trick:p:lol::p:lol:

lol...thanks for the replies....she has only started doing this hence my asking. If it is normal then I will put it down with other BHP behaviours. BHP's being as bright as they are perhaps I should include a caption under the picture posted earlier of "what was I looknig for again??"...lol

Cheers and thanks

It looks like it is trying to warm up under the light as black absorbs heat.
These pythons are able to warm their body temp up by attracting the heat to their head by doing as you see in the pic.
This way they can keep their body hidden in the cooler underground and not burning up on the hot sand where they are found.

Last edited:
lol...thanks for the replies....she has only started doing this hence my asking. If it is normal then i will put it down with other bhp behaviours. Bhp's being as bright as they are perhaps i should include a caption under the picture posted earlier of "what was i looknig for again??"...lol

cheers and thanks
lol

Don't worry about the behaviour as thats normal, however a few things about the enclosure worry me... Mainly the use of tape to hold down what looks to be the heat cord. BHP's are burrowers and by this natural behaviour you may find one day that your BHP may decide to try and burrow under the tape and if that tape gets onto the snakes scales your going to have one hell of a time trying to get it off not to mention the stress that it wil put on your snake.

Don't worry about the behaviour as thats normal, however a few things about the enclosure worry me... Mainly the use of tape to hold down what looks to be the heat cord. BHP's are burrowers and by this natural behaviour you may find one day that your BHP may decide to try and burrow under the tape and if that tape gets onto the snakes scales your going to have one hell of a time trying to get it off not to mention the stress that it wil put on your snake.
Yeah i agree, i had someone contact me on "Chat" at 1am absolutely horrified because his snake was caught in that stuff, took him night to get it off

they also do it because they do have a heating sensing pit which is located under the rostral scale which faces down when resting normally
smithy ;).

on bhps i hav a yerling female bhp i hav only owned her a month and a bit and im very concerned and im new to the website.... on her head it looks like patches of dry scales n mould im freaking because im not to sure why...her cage is kept clean at first i thought it mybe from digging i just would like some opions it maybe nothing though still

I read somewhere that they believe bhps also do it as a camoflage trick, looking like a burnt stick.. I imagine it would be hard to spot one in grass if its head was poking upwards.

Mine all do it aswell.

Can sit like this for up to an hour sometimes..

Thanks for the advice. It is however a thermostat probe. The heat cord is under the ceramic tile and siliconed around the edges with a cement sheet base. I have used a temporary themostat (a borrowed one) as the regular one died. When the new one comes in the probe will be siliconed in under the tile also. She does however have a sand pit the other end to play in :)

Cheers

I gotta say, the first time my woma did this, I was packing poo.
It was the closest thing i'd seen in the flesh to the dreaded - you know what...

Yeh my girl does it also. It is very unique but creepy. Everytime i enter my rep room and no matter how long im in there, she pops her head out and watches me the whole time.
I have even seen her head bopping on the odd occassion. Have been told it is also quite normal behaviour? any thoughts?

yup snake gal my bhp bops too. mostly if i startle him, like the first time i walk into the snake room he's kinda like OMG *bop bop bop* and then like oh its you, well then carry on... lol
i have to say the BHPs, olives and womas seem to be the most characterised snakes around.... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back