Part time tour de france wanna be's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you're cool aren't you mate ? Suppose it would be funny if one day I decided to pull a gun on someone and point it at their head, just to be a bit of a dick ?

I think your a bit of a **** for posting this on a public forum.
Where children and so forth come to read up about their new pet.
Fail post bud.

Last edited:
I'm a cyclist, and this thread is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. some riders take up too much of the road, Agreed. But 99% of the time is the bloody tosser drivers that decide it will be fun to yell and scream abuse at the rider. It's people like you, the bloody motorists that are the problem. some of us are actually serious riders and do it for sport, so it isnt just a bunch of fat old men who dust of their bikes because the tour de france is on. which might I add is run in july, it is now january. and hmmm last time I checked, we have the right here to ride 2 abreast. so all of you idiots that think you're superior in your cars, get a grip and get over yourself.

Whoa! Slow up there! Maybe in Geelong thats the case. Up here in Brissy, I would have to say it's about 50/50. If cyclists are doing the right thing and keeping to one side, I give them all due respect. But at least half of them see it as their duty to either sit two or three abreast, or just sit right out in the middle of the lane and get all indignant when motorists actually want to do the speed limit. And then there was one notable incident of a cyclist who thought lane splitting in moving traffic was a good idea. All I'm saying, is it's a two way street.

so opening the car door to an on coming cyclist isn't stupid, dangerous and illegal ?

no they were kids, riding slowly along footpath where they shouldnt be riding, technically I did nothing wrong, I might not have seen them and they could have hit the door, but of course, being considerate :lol: I opened the door to give them a fright and maybe they would see what they were doing was wrong.

I know it's a two way street, and there are a lot of people who do the right and wrong thing either side of the arguement. But I have not once been in an incident in hundreds of rides, where it has been the cyclist innitiating the issue. Circumstances might be different in brisbane, but here, its another ball game.

azztech, I don't care what you think. You know the the point I am trying to get across, that acting in a stupid way which could potenitally cause harm to others, should not be seen as funny, or done just to be "a bit of a dick".

rant over

I know it's a two way street, and there are a lot of people who do the right and wrong thing either side of the arguement. But I have not once been in an incident in hundreds of rides, where it has been the cyclist innitiating the issue. Circumstances might be different in brisbane, but here, its another ball game.

azztech, I don't care what you think. You know the the point I am trying to get across, that acting in a stupid way which could potenitally cause harm to others, should not be seen as funny, or done just to be "a bit of a dick".

rant over

Yeah I see the point.
I think posts like that are irrational and walk a fine line on breaching this site rule :)

4. Keep all content clean and tasteful. No nudity, violence, religious slurs, etc. If it may be offensive to another member, don't post it. This also applies to avatars and signatures.

Night ppls.

I am all for sharing the road with cyclists, so long as they share the responsibility for paying for the upkeep of the roads they want to use.

I also think that cyclists should pass a road rules test before being set loose on the streets. This is mostly aimed at teenagers who have NO idea about give way rules etc...

If someone rides to work instead of driving, they are still using the same road that I have to pay car registration fees for. If you had 2 cars they would both have to be registered, so why not a car and a commuting bike.
Commuting cyclists get a free ride. Literally.

I do not think that social riding or weekend riding should be charged. Or kids going to school. I have no idea how to enforce this. Maybe if you are riding between 7 and 6 weekdays and more than 5 k from you house you should be registering your bike?

As a side note, it bothers me when cyclists ride 2 wide. Whether you are 'entitled' to here or not, I do not believe it is safe for you or drivers. There is a road near my house which ALWAYS has cyclists on it (the fit kind in lycra suits if it matters....) and it is narrow and windy and hilly. I always feel rude honking at them but as soon as I do and they realise I can't pass, they usually drop back to single file and it is all good!

I used to do a fair bit of 'social' riding when I was younger just for exercise and to school and swimming/ friend's house etc. I don't any more because I am now lazy!!

I'm not implying that I would ever do this, and it should not be seen in a violent manner.

Bad use of analogies on my apart

I am all for sharing the road with cyclists, so long as they share the responsibility for paying for the upkeep of the roads they want to use.

I also think that cyclists should pass a road rules test before being set loose on the streets. This is mostly aimed at teenagers who have NO idea about give way rules etc...

If someone rides to work instead of driving, they are still using the same road that I have to pay car registration fees for. If you had 2 cars they would both have to be registered, so why not a car and a commuting bike.
Commuting cyclists get a free ride. Literally.

I do not think that social riding or weekend riding should be charged. Or kids going to school. I have no idea how to enforce this. Maybe if you are riding between 7 and 6 weekdays and more than 5 k from you house you should be registering your bike?

As a side note, it bothers me when cyclists ride 2 wide. Whether you are 'entitled' to here or not, I do not believe it is safe for you or drivers. There is a road near my house which ALWAYS has cyclists on it (the fit kind in lycra suits if it matters....) and it is narrow and windy and hilly. I always feel rude honking at them but as soon as I do and they realise I can't pass, they usually drop back to single file and it is all good!

I used to do a fair bit of 'social' riding when I was younger just for exercise and to school and swimming/ friend's house etc. I don't any more because I am now lazy!!

Bikes do not exactly wear down roads and do not use fuel. People should be encouraged to ride. It should be free. There should be more bikeways which should all be free.

I'm not implying that I would ever do this, and it should not be seen in a violent manner.

Bad use of analogies on my apart

It didn't sound violent at all. Just sounded like you were arguing against the violent behaviour that these guys were laughing about.

Billiemay, I am not sure what using fuel has to do with it?

Busses and weather wear down the road a lot too. Much more than my little car. I don't ride the bus or control the weather! But I pay for it. Everyone who wants to use the road should contribute to having a nice, smooth,safe road. Why should drivers pay for cyclists to go to work for free?

But you are right, bikeways are by far the safest and best option for everyone concerned! There should be more.

Because our environment is screwed and people should be encouraged by the government not to pollute and people who pollute heavily should be taxed for it and that money should be used to make transports systems more environmentally sustainable.

I'm a cyclist, and this thread is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. some riders take up too much of the road, Agreed. But 99% of the time is the bloody tosser drivers that decide it will be fun to yell and scream abuse at the rider. It's people like you, the bloody motorists that are the problem. some of us are actually serious riders and do it for sport, so it isnt just a bunch of fat old men who dust of their bikes because the tour de france is on. which might I add is run in july, it is now january. and hmmm last time I checked, we have the right here to ride 2 abreast. so all of you idiots that think you're superior in your cars, get a grip and get over yourself.

Couldn't agree more.

Some facts on cycling...

Fact: Riding a bicycle on the road is a legal right.
Fact: Riding two abreast is legal.
Fact: (Little known.) Cyclists are allowed to ride up the left side of the road to the front of the que at lights.
Fact: Some cyclists may occasionally ride in an inconsiderate manner and cause impatient drivers to be held up for thirty seconds. (Rarely longer.)
Fact: Motorists often try and squeeze past a rider where there is not enough room, in an unsafe manner. (Not enough room because the lane is too narrow.)
Fact: In years of driving a car I have had no reason to get abusive toward a cyclist. In the same time I daily encounter morons in cars.
Fact: in years of riding a bike I have been run off the road, had doors opened on me, cars pull out in front of me, idiots thinking it's funny to wind their windows down and yell as they go past etc etc...
Fact: If cyclist makes mistake cyclist may die.
Fact: If motorist makes mistake, cyclist may die.
Fact: If you regularly ride a bike any distance you end up wearing lycra shorts. Why? They are padded which stops all sorts of aches and pains and chafing. They are not just for 'looks'.
Fact: Overweight, Tour down under weekend wannabies are very amusing - and can be spotted a mile off. However, at least they are getting off their backsides and getting some exercise. How many of you knockers worked up a sweat exercising this weekend?
Fact: Cycling is great exercise, is the most efficient form of transport devised by man, and is environmentally friendly. It should be encouraged in every way possible.

***Fact: I am 44 and look great in Lycra*** .....hahahaha...:D
Dave

It may be legal to ride two abreast, but it's not always safe. The majority of cyclists I see move over to single file when a car wants to go past, but theres always a few tools who think that motorists should be stuck doing 30 in a 60 zone. As far as I'm concerned thats just a dangerous lack of common sense, but these people do seem to be a bit of a minority now a days. Much like the idiotic motorists who abuse the cyclists who ARE doing the right thing. I think the moral of the story is that the world still has its fair share of tools, and they come from all walks of life!

Generally once you've ridden a bike on the road more than a handful of times, you develop a very vigilante attitude to anybody in a car, especially after you've had friends killed by morons. It is common to have beer bottles, half eaten hamburgers or whatever else they can find hurled at you.

One of my most satisfying paybacks was when we were doing a 5.00am ride through Brisbane CBD, riding down Coronation Drive. A few lads went past in their very impressive Supra and hurled some Macca's at us...and then had to stop at a red light. I guess they didn't realise that on the bottom of our gay little shoes are some very sharp metal cleats that take that special paint right off the side of that pretty little car...

Daaaaammnnnn! Like I said, tools on both sides of the fence (not reffering to you jonno, sounds like they deserved it). Some people just can't help themselves. Also, what a waste of food!

Personally I think cyclists should at the very least become registered! At least that way they'd have some sort of accountability!

I've seen plenty of times where someone gets accidently cut-off with some of these yobs running red lights or disobeying road rules and then taking their lyra-frustrations out on an innocent driver. It's a two-way street I'm afraid. The only difference being that the "car driver" has no means of identifying the cyclist.

All I know is the cyclist isn't capable of carrying a wheel brace (too heavy...slows em down :lol:) If someone did that to me and decided to kick my door in they'd be sporting a different set of wheels...guaranteed! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back