How to Pick a Good One

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmonty

Reaction score
G'day all - I'm new to this forum (and to the herp world). I just got my R1 licence today. I have been waiting on some Diamonds to hatch (they just hatched last week) and I wanted some advice on what to look for when choosing. Obviously good feeding etc - I want to know how to pick one that's going to exceptionally good - looking as an adult. I am after high yellow diamonds and I believe I will have around 12 to choose from. Any hints/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hatchlings Pythons are normally house in tubs or click clacks as some people call them. For a hatchling Diamond Python i would use a Starmaid 20Litre tub. Diamond Pythons love to climb so i add 2 or 3 branches in for them. The hot end should be around 35 degrees. Heating is supplied by using a heat tape or cord. Please make sure you allways use a thermostate with any heating device as they can get awefully hot and burn the snake. A hatchling would be feeding on Pinki Mice about once every week.

As for choosing the snake i would look for one that is feeding regulary, has nice golden eyes, skin doesnt look all dry and shriveled up and my peronal opion to pick the most higly coloured hatchies :p

If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask, most of us are all herper's ourself and would love to help someone out like yourself.
Jordy

The main thing you've got to look for when you buy a snake of any age is many things some are these :

- Clear Eyes ( No Goo Covering Eyes )
- No Sign Of Really Dry Scales
- Search For Scale Rot.
- Always ask About whats it eating and how often.
- Coloring

Please also check i know they are hatchlings, but they may get such problems as high burns to there underbelly please look for this, as it can be a big issue later on in life. For example i knew a guy with a Jungle who he bought not worrying about the belly burns, which burnt the nerv which allows them to use there tongue, no tongue no taste or sence. The snake later died as it did not eat although he did get it for free as the owner was worried and my mate has many snakes which he got with problems and fixed em up then sold them and has a good rep locally

Mate hatchy diamonds dont look like diamonds, so good luck!
They get better with every shed but still won't have adult colour for months
If they come from high yelllow parents then your in with a good chance.

Hope that the breeder is honest and ask them, they will often have a fair idea which snakes appear to be the best out of the clutch. As mentioned you arnt going to be able to tell what it will look like as an adult from just looking at a hachy.

i tend to go for the energetic ones aswell, ones with a bit of attitude just so i know there alert and healthy :)

The main thing you've got to look for when you buy a snake of
Please also check i know they are hatchlings, but they may get such problems as high burns to there underbelly please look for this, as it can be a big issue later on in life.

For example i knew a guy with a Jungle who he bought not worrying about the belly burns, which burnt the nerv which allows them to use there tongue, no tongue no taste or sence.

How to detect burn marks on the underbelly (what should I be looking for)?

Cameron

Thankyou everyone for your advice - I have been logging on to an american herp forum for a few weeks now - but I;m glad I found this Aussie one. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back