Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greeny1

I think you will find the Taipans were in actual fact Western Browns. This is a common mistake as the Browns out in the top corner of NSW look very similar to the Taipans.

How come no pics on Central Beardeds. They should have been the most common lizard out there. i to have tried to take pics of tristis monitors, but boy they are fast and just dont want to stand there for a shot.

Nice photos, Lightning Ridge is a great place for herps. The small green frog is a Green Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea). The brown one with spots is a New Holland Frog (Cyclorana novaehollandiae), one with the green stripe is a Striped Burrowing Frog (Cyclorana alboguttata) and the last one is a Water Holding Frog (Cyclorana platycephala). That marmorata is beautiful.

Yes, Juvie Green Tree Frogs often have a stripe through their eye, they can be easily confused if your not familar with juvie GTF's.
I also agree with Bigguy on the fact that they were most likely Western Browns, everone who lives in the west thinks they have taipans in their area. ;)

I will agree with Bob and Jason on this one.....the chances of turning up an inland out there are slim at best...

nice pics

Cheers,
Scott

Greeny1

I think you will find the Taipans were in actual fact Western Browns. This is a common mistake as the Browns out in the top corner of NSW look very similar to the Taipans.

How come no pics on Central Beardeds. They should have been the most common lizard out there. i to have tried to take pics of tristis monitors, but boy they are fast and just dont want to stand there for a shot.

yeh the beardies were everywhere but they were either centrals or easterns, im not 100% which they were.

yeah thanks for the frog id's, i actually have a frog poster, after i posted the thread i realised that the bug one was a new holland but still had no idea of the others.

also i never saw the 'taipans'. i was going off experienced herpers who saw them who thought they were taiapns but i think you are probably right.

G'day greeny,

I think you'll find your "Taipans" will be Eastern or Western Browns, or possibly Mulga Snakes. Inland Taipans are not found within atleast 500km of where you guys were herping.

Cheers

Any more pictures Mark? and Jonno, you are 5th person to say the exact same thing lol

uhh yeh the "box pattern gecko" the first pic is a cunninghams skink on top of a beardie
but the second pic is right any way i wish i could have been there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back