Bitter sweet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benc63

Not so new Member
Reaction score
With frog species in decline all over the world, it is extremely frustrating
to watch another beautiful creature become increasingly uncommon.
The red crowned toadlet, now listed as vulnerable, is a small frog only
found in the sand stone regions surrounding Sydney. As a youngster
I would often come across small dense colonies but these days any
sightings are few and far between.
Red crowned toadlet (Pseudophryne australis).
P7220010.jpg

P7220019-1.jpg

Typical habitat, moist vegetation or litter formed by sporadic creeks and rainwater seepage on steep escarpments below ridgetops.
P7220024.jpg

Nice photos, they are an iconic species of the Sydney bushland. There are some decent populations around in national parks but they are still declining in a few areas.

Ive seen three of those in my time they are an awsome frog upclose!!!!very nice pics mate.

Couldn't agree more Ben.
I know that times change and animal populations do the same according to the various pressures that we create for them but when i was a kid living in Jannali we could find Red Crowned toadlets at different points along the length of the water pipeline which came out of the ground directly opposite our house. Mind you there were only a handful of houses in Bonnet Bay, between us and the river in those days. I would hate to think what it might be like now.
I am glad I had the opportunity to grow up surrounded by bushland and the critters that shared it with me, some brilliant memories there.
Nice photo's mate.

I must have missed this thread, I seem to miss a few lately, anyway

Nice pictures, especially since they are so small, what camera do you use? the habitat looks good aswell, I love sydney herping, its so built up yer there is still a lot of species to be seen, only thing that disapoints me about it is finding destroyed habitat. are they houses behind that area or is it just pale looking sandstone?

I

Nice pictures, especially since they are so small, what camera do you use? the habitat looks good aswell, are they houses behind that area or is it just pale looking sandstone?
In the background is a built up area of housing so its nice to find such a spot .
All my pics are taken with a 7 year old point and shoot, still does the job but ill have to upgrade at some stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back