price variations

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
so I have been wondering - what determines the price on an animal for sale?
is it what people are prepared to pay or what the seller deems them worth? I know lots of things come into consideration, age, sex, colouring, proven breeder, etc but it got me thinking because there seems to be such a huge variation on prices
example - I saw 3 highly coloured yearling blotched bluetongues for $130.00 each then another time I looked I saw similar aged, same colourings for $350.00 each!
another - I paid $250 for my pair of breeding adult shingle backs, I have since seen them advertised for $500 a pair.
anyway, peoples opinion on what they think reps are worth would be great! :)

G'day miss2,

It depends on a lot of different things, but the most important bit is how much the buyer is willing to pay.

Lots of things affect the price of animals though - locality, genetics, aesthetics, history, breeder and trends. A good looking, locality animal that is bred by a well-known breeder and is the latest trend will demand huge prices (for example, Julatten locality black and white Jungles bred by Tremain...$1500ea). The same snakes bred by anyone other than Tremain generally go for less.

The most frustrating thing is when people buy something for a bargain price (or something substandard) and think that's what the price is. There are no $RRP's in selling reptiles - if it's too expensive, don't buy it!

it comes down to how much your willing to pay .. as discomat said , supply vrs demand .

I cannot beleive how cheap shinglebacks can go for.
They only have two babies. They should be much dearer.

I was just about to say that Jason. If they weren't so common in areas close to civilisation, they would be $1000+ lizards.

i have NEVER seen one in the wild, i spent whole day driving around looking for them... nothing!!!

G'day miss2,

The weather has to be right for them, but when it is, they are in plagues. My record from memory is 84 in a day, driving 500km from the Barossa Valley in SA, to Kimba on the Eyre Peninsula.

jonno, thats not fair lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back