Cool Scrubby Pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
A mate was in Ingham and came across this Scrub Python eating a full size Kangaroo.
Couple of points of interest,
You can see a joey in the kangaroo, this joey was retrieved from the dead mother and raised for a few weeks before releasing it,
In pic 3 the scrubby uses its tail to straighten out the hind quarters,
In pic 4 you can see the tail size of the Kangaroo, it was a big roo.
The scrubby sat in this spot for 2 weeks :)
Enjoy,

Attachments

• z_Scrubby.jpg
    z_Scrubby.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 563
  • z_Scrubby1.jpg
    z_Scrubby1.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 469
  • z_Scrubby2.jpg
    z_Scrubby2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 589
  • z_Scrubby3.jpg
    z_Scrubby3.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 536
thats some great viewing Ad , great work

and a pat on the back for saving the joey

Is it just me or in the third pic, the joeys legs are still visible.

They scanned up really well Ad

What a great few pics! You don't see that to often

Awesome find!

The "roo" is an agile wallaby, and a large one at that. It would weigh easily over 50% of the snake's weight. Poor little joey eh, that's amazing! I lived in that area for years and was not lucky enough to see such a thing, although I found a couple of scrubbies post-feed. They can't move after eating such a large meal. It seems they eat agile wallabies fairly often! I'd love to see a scrubby take out an agile wallaby, it must be pretty radical! I suppose once those big legs are wrapped up, the python has won.

i am trying to imagine the scrubby stalking the wallaby while it must have been laying down or something,and then the takedown,must have been a struggle wallabys are quite strong,what an amazing snake the scrub python is

Wow that is amazing, it definately looks painful. The joeys legs are visible in the third picture, but that's nature.

i am trying to imagine the scrubby stalking the wallaby while it must have been laying down or something,and then the takedown,must have been a struggle wallabys are quite strong,what an amazing snake the scrub python is

Amazing indeed! From what I know of scrub pythons, they sit in highly devised ambush positions. I have seen one come out every night for a week and position itself above a mammal run in the exact same place. The python would coil on an overhead branch, extend it's body down to the ground and "kiss" the substrate, before adjusting it's strike range. It would then sit in a double-S shape, waiting, waiting, waiting....

So the situation would be more like scrubby in ambush, wallaby moves past, WHACK! Scrubbies are hard to dislodge, so it's along for a ride until it stops the wallaby!

that is facinating,and would be great to catch on video,and soem how funny to watch a scrubby go for a ride till wallaby fell over.
It would be quite a surprise for a small human to walk along a trail and have a scrubby drop on them

Just an update:

The joey was definitely saved.

The wallaby was eating grass - the scrubby was in the long grass - it smashed it on the head front on, coiled it, it dropped on the spot immobilized, they witnessed this, then ran back to the farmhouse to get the camera - thats where the pics started from.

Cheers
Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back