Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystal

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knew what this baby snake is? Located in North Brisbane.
Thanks, Krystal :D

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,309
  • IMG_2051.jpg
    IMG_2051.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,018
i know nothing but i thought it sort of looks like a keelback (this is where the scientific names goes) dont even quote me on that though oh im porbbaly wrong because i missed some scale.

yay at least i think im right now :) i just googled them and it looks about right i dont know why i thought it was a keelback.

must of been the scale count. (im just messing with you guys)

I have heard of many juvenile rough scaled snakes being mistaken for keelbacks before! Im not saying this is the case here and iv never seen a keelback in the flesh before but I do want to stress the point if you cant positively ID the snake its best left alone the simplest mistakes can be the deadliest ones

Heres a pic i found for a comparision

Cool thanks for that, we'll let him go down near the water away from houses and people!

Thanks Farma, as soon as we got him out from behind the dishwasher we put him straight in an old hatchling cage. He is so tiny I don't think we want to try picking him up anyway.

I might just add that, that wasn't aimed at you personally I have had more than one bad experience where people have mistaken the roughscaled snake for another species that is harmless
so im sorry if that came across as if it was directed at you personally but it was really for everyone experienced or not! PLEASE BE CAREFULL

Looks like a keelback for sure, had 1 bout that size and same pattern in the dam behind us last week.

Snake identification

We have keelbacks and rough scales at our place.Very hard to tell them apart. The ventral scale counts are different and there is a difference in the scales in front of the eye.

Good idea to leave them alone unless you have to. They have both come into the house so we have had to move them.

It seems that the keelbacks move more like a green tree snake and the rough scaled moves more like a tiger or black snake. The keelbacks sometimes get into a spinning motion when they are "tailed". The rough scales are more like black snakes to "tail".

The rough scales seem to have a more distinct head than the keelbacks. My guess is that your little bloke is a rough scale.

From that photo I wouldn't be game to say it isn't a roughy. Any shots of the side of its head?
I've attached a photo of a baby roughy for comparison

Attachments

• Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_RoughScaled_01.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_RoughScaled_01.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 635
Have to agree with Fuscus on this one. As cute and cuddly-wuddly as it looks, a baby Rough Scaled snake bite means a very uncomfortable trip to the hospital. Best way by observation is to look for the Loreal scale. If it has one, it's a Keelback, if it doesn't, it's a Roughie.

See post #12 in the following thread to identify the loreal scale. It is located between the pre-ocular scale and nasal scale.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps-42/i-spotted-2-rough-scaled-snakes-121126

Here is a few pics of a baby keelback that a mate and i found. as you can actually see the baby snake you have and there is pics of both rough scaled snake and keelback you should be able to tell.

I will have to check the photos I took when I get home but I doubt I have any of the side of its head. We let it go last night so I can't get any more photos of it.
Looking at all the photos regarding head shape, I think it looks more like the picture that Fuscus posted. Although that could just be because the keelback photos are of bigger snakes.
Regarding movement we didn't pick it up, however when it bolted across the floor it held the top half of its body up - didn't slide along like our pythons do.
The only other thing I noticed was the blue tinge to its belly while it was climbing in the container.
Other than that this snake was tiny - its head was maybe 4mm wide - would have very easily fit on a 50c coin. And it never tried to strike us either!
Either way it is free now and if we get more in the house I will try and get some better photos.
Thanks for all your help :)

Identifying baby snake

It looks like a young spotted python to me (Antaresia Maculosa) mind you, I could be wrong. I have an adult spotted and that snake seems to have very similar markings.
In any case, if it came from the wild, it's best to let it go back.

It looks like a young spotted python to me (Antaresia Maculosa) mind you, I could be wrong. I have an adult spotted and that snake seems to have very similar markings.
In any case, if it came from the wild, it's best to let it go back.

WHAT? Are you serious?

Unless you have a decent knowledge of snake ID you need to keep out of threads like this. Misidentification of a snake is potentially very dangerous and it makes you look stupid. If you don't know or aren't sure then don't post.

Definately not a spotted and the markings were totally different - I have stimsons and it was very different to them.

Also I let it go the night that we caught it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back